The Gurus of How-To Fall into Fall

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Gurus of How-To, Al Ubell and Larry Ubell, are here to offer advice on home repair matters, from gutters to garage doors.

Call 212-433-9692 with your questions or leave a comment below!

Al Ubell and Larry Ubell
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

ALLIE from manhattan

Would you be good enough to advise me on who to contact about converting my T.V. to digital (I do not want cable), BUT I AM WILLING TO PURCHASE A NEW set IF THAT WOULD HELP. I bought a converter box, but it still does not work. Maybe recommend a store or a person who is knowledgable on this issue. Thanks.

Sep. 24 2012 01:06 PM
doug from asbury park

I called the show about winterizing my side of a duplex (this will be my first Winter away) and Larry gave an email address that I apparently got wrong. Can you give me Larry (or Al) Ubell's correct email? Thanks

Sep. 12 2012 02:34 PM
David from NYC

The mounds of dirt which appear daily in front of your caller's home sound like ant hills.

Sep. 12 2012 01:44 PM
Peter from Rockland County

I recently purchased a dehumidifier for the basement of my home, but am finding conflicting information as to what humidity percentage I should set it at. What is your recommendation?

Sep. 12 2012 01:40 PM
Rebeccah

Geothermal

Sep. 12 2012 01:37 PM
Russ Carmel from nyc

We bought a petite Victorian in Delaware county, NY 4 years ago. The house has many beautiful details, but it was sided with vinyl siding some 20 years ago. There is wood clapboard underneath. How practical is it to remove the siding? What would be involved in re-insulating the house? What other problems might we encounter?

Sep. 12 2012 01:36 PM
Cory from Planet Earth

Convection

Sep. 12 2012 01:34 PM
Demetri from Putnam County

I purchased a home in Brewster, NY about one year ago. Iam considering having the underground oil tank removed. Can you advise on the estimated cost for this operation? Are there any issues with which I should be aware of when looking for a contractor?

Sep. 12 2012 01:34 PM
MJ from Manhattan

I live in an apartment building on the 9th floor. There is a mothball smell that comes through my living room windows on a daily basis. I do not smell mothballs on my floor. I went to the 8th floor and the smell is very strong. I wrote a note to both neighbors below me. Both denied they are using mothballs. The management is not willing to get involved. Do you have a recommendation for an agency or company that would test the air on the 8th floor as well as my apartment?

Sep. 12 2012 01:34 PM
Hal from Brooklyn Heights

Conduction, convection, radiation

Sep. 12 2012 01:34 PM
DH from Bergen County NJ

Answer to the puzzle: Convection, Conduction, Radiation

Sep. 12 2012 01:33 PM
Etienne Frossard from Park Slope,Brooklyn

What is the best solution to fix a "rising" flag in a sidewalk (a tripping danger for our insurance company):add cement as a filler or scrape the small rising edge (less than one inch high).Thank you

Sep. 12 2012 01:29 PM
Melanie

Following the article in last week's NY Times magazine about upholstered furniture safety, I am wondering about testing the air and/or dust in my apartment for toxins/VOCs. Do you know if this is possible and how to go about it?

Sep. 12 2012 01:27 PM
Rose from New Jersey

How I can determine where the leach field is for my septic system? I know where the access point to the tank is and I have a rough schematic of the system, but I do not know exactly where things are underground. I would love to plant some trees or a fence along the edge of my yard but am afraid of wrecking the system in the process. I've heard you can tell by seeing where the grass is thicker and greener, but mine seems pretty consistent. Do you have any thoughts on how I can determine this or anything else I need to consider before undertaking this project? If I do determine that there isn't enough room for trees, could I safely put a fence up over the field? Thanks.

Sep. 12 2012 12:24 PM
Dan from Brooklyn

I live in a rental in a pre-war building and have a very persistent squirrel who has chosen the outside casing of my in-the-wall air-conditioner as a storage unit for the fall. Any recommendations on avoiding nesting rodents in the city?

Sep. 12 2012 11:21 AM