9-11 Museum Agreement

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The National September 11 Memorial Museum, which remains unopened, rises behind a reflecting pool at The World Trade Center (wallyg/flickr)

Bob Hennelly, WNYC reporter, to discuss the agreement announced last night over the future of the 9-11 Museum.

→ Read the Memorandum of Understanding Between the Foundation and the Port Authority

Bob Hennelly

Mike from Manhattan

Sorry, I have no interest in going down there to go to a museum. I will continue to attend church services down there but that is it. They are turning this whole site into a monument to 11yrs of war. Speaking of which, where is the monument to the soldiers we have sent off to fight?

Sep. 11 2012 11:06 PM
Brandon from Brooklyn

Thank you to the caller who took issue with the Hiroshima analogy. There is none.

Sep. 11 2012 11:24 AM
Thomas Pinch

So much for smaller government. Shouldn't republicans want this Memorial to be privatized and run by a corporation, not a government entity?

Sep. 11 2012 11:23 AM
Roman from Brooklyn

I know that this is probably not the right day to say this, but I am really afraid that ten years from now, hardly anyone will be visiting this museum. This is not tied in to a larger war the way the Pearl Harbor museum is. It is a museum to people who perished, and as horrible as the loss is, it is a very personal loss. I'm afraid that ten years from now, people are not going to care about a 7 floor museum to people they have no connection to.

Sep. 11 2012 11:22 AM
Bobby G from East Village

The BLS just had a guest pointing out that 11,000 men died on British prison ships in Wallabout Bay, Brooklyn during the Revolution War. This country would not have become great had billions and billions of dollars been borrowed to build an oversized memorial and museum to that.

Sep. 11 2012 11:22 AM
Brenda from New York City

Thank you for this conversation. I've been frustrated with the talk of funding of the museum and the absence of talk about the content. It strikes me as far too soon to have any sense of true curation and storytelling that should be the backbone of any meaningful museum. I suspect that when we talk about this particular museum we are in fact talking about an archive.
www.HereSheIsBoys.com