30 Issues in 30 Days is our election year series on the important issues facing the country this election year. Today: How the victims of the Great Recession are coping and what the government can do to help them. Visit the 30 Issue home page for all of the conversations.
Open Prep: Questions, Articles, and Links to Get You Started
- What can government do to help get the long-term unemployed get back to work?
- How can we strengthen the safety net?
- Which demographics have been affected the most by the Great Recession--and why?
What are your key questions on this topic? Post them below and get the conversation going!
- David Leonhardt, Washington Bureau Chief of the New York Times
- Robert Reich, public policy professor at U.C. Berkeley and former Secretary of the Department of Labor under President Clinton
- Diana Furchtgott-Roth, senior fellow of the Manhattan Institute and author of the new book Regulating to Disaster: How Green Jobs Policies Are Damaging America's Economy
30 Issues Data from the WNYC Data News Team
Got a Follow Up?
Each Friday, we'll be following up on one of that week's issues. Got a particular follow-up question from this conversation? Comment below or tweet us. Tweet to @brianlehrer