Rags To Riches: The Golden Krust Story

Monday, September 10, 2012

Golden Krust bakery (Alana Casanova-Burgess)

Lowell Hawthorne, president and CEO of Golden Krust Caribbean Bakery & Grill, talks about his new memoir, The Baker's Son: My Life In Business, and his experiences as co-founder of Golden Krust.

Lowell Hawthorne

Dolores Heinze from New Jersey

These patties sound so delicious that I had to check out the recipe.\
Along with an increasing number of Americans, there are certain ingredients that I avoid. SOY is now listed as one the the top 8 allergens in the country and it is found in most processed foods today.
AND, no surprise, there it was..........SOY oil, SOY sauce...etc..

It is used so often because it is CHEAP!

Sep. 10 2012 11:27 AM
Dolores Heinze from New Jersey

Regarding the "you didnt built it" comments above, it is obvious that our
president has had no experience in owning a business. I agree with N from NJ's comments about it.
However, I am surprised that Mr Hawthorne, with young children, would not do the research before moving his family into a new home, knowing that racism still exists in the US. I was surprised when my own son, who recently moved into a new part of London did not bother to find out if the area would be open to gays. However, he does not have a family and that is a major difference.

Sep. 10 2012 11:17 AM
N. from NJ

In relation to the "who built this business" issue, as a small business owner myself, I feel that the argument of everyone built the roads, bridges, etc. is specious because those are baseline government roles/expenses which all citizens contribute to and use. The difference in the person building a business and someone else is that the person building a business usually has to take additional risk, sacrifices, and effort which don't have to do with the baseline role that government plays.

Sep. 10 2012 10:56 AM
Bill from New Rochelle

Mr Hawthorne,
I enjoy your meat patties on coco bread. How do you keep from sliding in tase and quality, as so many others have?

Sep. 10 2012 10:56 AM
John W from Bradley Beach

Unfair to ask about the "you didn't build that" quote. The media NEVER says the quote was about roads and bridges. They always associate it with businesses, which is not fair because that is out of context. How about finding a guest who built a road or a bridge with no government money or support. Now THAT would be a story!!!

Sep. 10 2012 10:56 AM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

Golden Krust vs. Silver Krust: "They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs."

Sep. 10 2012 10:53 AM

I completely agree with Sheldon. I'm happy that Golden Krust is a real Caribbean/American success story and they employ many black people. But I rarely go to GK because the operations of each restaurant is generally bad. The franchises close too early, the lines are too long and run out of menu items too quickly. I'm not too crazy about their beef patties either; I think Royal Caribbean Patties are the best.

Sep. 10 2012 10:52 AM
scott from soho

Please ask how he felt about Obama's "you didn't build that" speech.

Sep. 10 2012 10:49 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

I wish Mr. Hawthorne all the success in the world but Golden Crust has to be the least demanding franchisers out there, in terms of quality. Each location is left to their own devices in terms of food and decor. The only consistent thing is their relatively bland (frozen) beef patties.

Sep. 10 2012 10:02 AM