Andy Borowitz on the Conventions

Friday, September 07, 2012

Andy Borowitz, author of The Borowitz Report on the newyorker.com, talks about what we learned from the conventions.

Andy Borowitz

foodaggro from Brooklyn

Andy - comparing the Romney campaign to "Weekend at Bernie's" is dead-on.

Sep. 07 2012 12:57 PM

Shout out to my fellow Shakerite in the Big City. Good stuff!

Sep. 07 2012 12:44 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I used to hear "Uncle Sugar" a lot as a derisive version of "Uncle Sam." But I heard it from people on the left, back when the US was supporting Central American dictatorships--you know, the ones that were authoritarian, not totalitarian.

Sep. 07 2012 12:39 PM
carollita from nyc

I'm sorry but I have to disagree on the point of the who's poorer contest. If only because 1. that's the American dream, rags to riches (so don't start with the 'she's married to a millionaire' please. And 2. The Obamas came from humble beginnings, while the Romneys came from money, and voluntarily played house like students, having fun eating tuna casseroles on their ironing board, while still having those "stocks" to sell if things got really hard.

The thing that I found demeaning was that Michelle felt obliged to neglect to mention the days when she made more money than her husband and supported him, and default to "mom in chief." She's not just a mom, she's had a fantastic, lucrative career in her own right, which a lot of people aren't talking about because they want to "soften" her image.

Sep. 07 2012 12:35 PM
The Truth from Becky

pasta and tuna? a car with a rusted hole in the door? I bet some of the homeless would love to have BOTH!

Sep. 07 2012 12:34 PM
The Truth from Becky

Geez I hate that I agree, but I do. Uggh

Sep. 07 2012 12:31 PM
Louisa from Brooklyn

Could NOT AGREE MORE about the demeaning wives speeches. I was cringing too. Heaven help the political wife that doesn't have children.

Sep. 07 2012 12:30 PM