Carol and Joe Reich on Education Reform

Thursday, September 06, 2012

Carol and Joe Reich, talk about their role in the education reform movement. Getting to Bartlett Street: Our 25-Year Quest to Level the Playing Field in Education is the story of how they started one of the first charter schools in the country in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Carol Reich and Joe Reich

Julia

I loved the interview. I did not know about the criminal activity going on in my own neighborhood. Thank you Joe and Carol for putting an end to it and choosing to dedicate so much of your time to such a wonderful cause, education.

Sep. 07 2012 07:52 PM
DTorres from Manhattan

Who was the Mayor of New York, during this time, when the money that
should have gone to the Public Schools was diverted to the Hasidics?
It was on his watch.

Why were the Hasidics allowed to treat the kids they considered to be
"garbage" the same way they treat the Palestinians in the Israeli Settlements
and Israel.

Everything for them zero for the Palestinians.

They were allowed to do this in Brooklyn as well.

Most of the money for them, a trickle for the minority kids.

Didn't anybody get locked up for theft of Public Funds?

Sep. 07 2012 01:53 PM
Pia

Wow, I am amazed at how many people LL himself finding is so incredible that the Hasidim would be a part of the sub par education inner/urban kids get. I loved this interview not because of that open secret but because there is this notion that religious people could never be a part of such a dark cover up. All for money. You'd think people who have been subjected to unfair treatment etc. Just upsetting but not revealing. But this does not make me a anti semitic. A group within a group does not make the overall Bad people. Let's remember that. Greed is GREED.

Sep. 06 2012 08:23 PM
Phyllis from Brooklyn

This is one of the most extraordinary interviews I have ever heard!

Such bravery! Such revelations!

I am stunned by this information getting out into the wider universe.

So many people I know have been witness to criminality in the public school system, but fear of reprisal has kept very terrible stories from seeing the light of day.
Thank you so much for doing this. I hope that it is proliferated far and wide!

There is so much good happening every day in individual classrooms and many extraordinary and dedicated teachers who love their profession.

My life was changed by many wonderful teachers and I'll be grateful forever.

But there are huge problems in the system...the politics, the hacks that get into positions that they then abuse...and the way policy is handed down...mostly without the input of those on the ground.

BRAVO! Thank you for bringing these issues out into the open!

Sep. 06 2012 01:28 PM
Johnson

I can't imagine listening to people not want to be interviewed harder than these two people.

Sep. 06 2012 01:24 PM
Christine from Westchester

What role so the unions play here? Good, bad? Do your guests get support from the unions?

Sep. 06 2012 01:23 PM
fred valentine

We were trying to start a school in Disc. 14 at the same but did not have any backing. We met with Will Rogers in the late 80s and sat at many school board meetings with at least three Hasidic members. He was a nightmare and wanted nothing to do with us.

Sep. 06 2012 01:22 PM
John from office

The Hasidic control of the entire school system was an open secret and the Eastern district HS building was "sold" to the Hasidics. I would love to see those closing papers.

Sep. 06 2012 01:21 PM
Christine from Westchester

(wasn't quite finished there). What kind of results can be achieved with this type of dedication?

Sep. 06 2012 01:21 PM
Ellen from Williamsburgh

What is their school? I have lived on berry & S4th for 25 years, and the oldest independent school I know of is El Puente Academy for Peace & Justice on S4th & Roebling. Are they part of El Puente? - it was started in 1982...as far as I know by Luis Garden Acosta and Frances whose last name i am unfortunately forgetting. I am a longtime resident of this part of Williamsburg and I never heard of a Bartlett Street School.

Sep. 06 2012 01:20 PM
Christine

I'm hopeful that their work has resulted in great improvements. Please tell us what they've accomplished: what can this kind of

Sep. 06 2012 01:19 PM
john from office

Len, I went to PS 19 and JHS 50 in the 60's and 70's !! WOW

I never understood how the Hasidic community can justify bad behavior, as religious people.

Sep. 06 2012 01:14 PM