Democratic Convention Coverage Part 2

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Our coverage continues of the DNC live from radio row, featuring:

• Bob Hennelly on the NYS delegation in the wake of the Vito Lopez and Sheldon Silver scandal
  • Liz Bartolomeo, communications manager for government transparency advocacy group The Sunlight Foundation
  • and a call-in for women of both parties on how they weigh reproductive rights against other issues when deciding which presidential candidate gets their votes.
Jody Avirgan
Radio Row in Charlotte: Liz Bartolomeo, Sunlight Foundation

Liz Bartolomeo and Bob Hennelly

Amy from Manhattan

I wonder if Ms. Fiorina remembers that it was the Republicans who first (in the 1980s, I think) called advocates for women's equality a "special interest group," along w/labor. Both women & working people are majorities of US adults. How can the majority be a special interest?

Oh, & to those who ask why we don't hear about "men's issues"? That's because they're called "issues."

Sep. 05 2012 02:02 AM
Judith from Westchester County, NY

I had the privilege of sitting in on a seminar in the 90's when Justice Harry Blackmun spoke of how he did his research the summer before he wrote the Roe v. Wade opinion for the Supreme Court. He said that he came to realize if women do not have control over their reproductive decisions, the emancipation of women would never be fully achieved. I don't think anyone has said it better, to this day.

Sep. 04 2012 05:29 PM

jgarbuz.
just trying to understand your point of view. no wisecracks?!

Sep. 04 2012 03:34 PM
John A

>>> And don't men have any "reproductive rights"??

Not in my lifetime. I don't mean to say I'm opposed to it - it's just the irony of it. By the time I get reproductive rights - I'll be dead. It's taking for-ev-er.

Sep. 04 2012 12:07 PM
g in staten island from staten island

If women don't have reproductive freedom/roghts , many of the other "freedoms" can be nearly useless. If you have children you don't want/cannot afford your education is curtailed, your economic growth is curtailed. What good is a "better wage" if you cannot work the number of hours you need to support your family. Keeping reproductive freedom down keeps women down. Look at some of the countries where women have too many children and they are so poor.
The Republicans/Christian Right says charities, not government should take care of the "poor". So where are their charities? Why are so many people still needy? Why isn't Ralph Reed spending his money supporting these children instead of prostheltyzing getting his religion into American politics?
Lack of reproductive rights keeps women down and men on top (pun intended) and that's the way the anti-choice folks want it. I think the anti-choice women "drank the Republican Right cool-aid", and have not yet "seen the light". They may see that light when they look up from under their men, as their flock of children trial them, and their family is struggling economically.

Sep. 04 2012 12:06 PM
BK from Hoboken

I love how Republicans want to tell women they must continue an unwanted pregnancy, then take away prenatal care at places like Planned Parenthood and Medicaid, then cut funding for the new baby via Medicaid and SCHIP cuts. How compassionate for a bunch of Evangelicals and religious nuts who want women barefoot pregnant in the kitchen. Yes, they will always have female supporters (mostly the female part of those religious right).
Rep Todd Akin really isn't much of an extremist in the party. And that is scary for women's rights.

Sep. 04 2012 12:02 PM
dan k from Park Slope, Brooklyn

please stop using the term "Pro Life" on this show. It's an absurd term coined by republicans, that is insulting to those who care about children both in and OUT of the womb!

Sep. 04 2012 12:01 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

to HJS

I'm not responding to your wisecracks! If somebody kills your children against your will, then come back and make wisecracks.

Sep. 04 2012 11:59 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

We tend to recite these bumper sticker slogans and incorporate them into our thinking without evaluating their truthfulness or logic.

When we speak about "control of our bodies", do we ever consider if there are other instances when "our bodies" are controlled by outside entities?

Perhaps an imperfect analogy, but what about when there was a draft and men were conscripted to war? I'd say that was a loss of control of "one's body", especially if one was killed or wounded in battle.

Sep. 04 2012 11:59 AM
Ann

The issue of abortion rights, especially the extreme position that the life or health of the mother will not be considered, reflects an attitude toward women in general. It indicates a pervasive, intense lack of consideration or respect. The Republican Party has become the party of rich white men - dedicated to the interests of rich white men only. If we decided that sperm was sacred and could not be destroyed, would men allow us to forbid chemo therapy or surgery in the case of prostrate cancer?

Sep. 04 2012 11:57 AM
Janine from Manhattan

As a female (former Boston resident) Republican I think that it's settled law and there's a very very slim chance they'll overturn Roe v. Wade. So why argue this point? I am pro-choice.

Sep. 04 2012 11:57 AM

This "Silver Scandal" has the media cache of being able to include the word "sex" in the headline and pumping up readership, viewership, and listener audience (present media manufacturers excepted) These days scandals with the label "sex" can often be turbo-charged for effect by borrowing from the Sandusky File and creating an "enabler" narrative allegation. Although it is interesting that people are finally realizing how much corruption is masked in budget entries labelled "attorneys' fees", the media has been hesitant to generalize this information in other contexts. Specifically, I am sure I am not the only NYC citizen who continues to wait for some reporting on the amount of "attorneys' fees" (and by who and for whom they were made) expended by the city council of embezzlers recent efforts to avoid prosecution by the U.S. Attorney. President of the Embezzlement Council, Quinn, called the unlawful, surreptitious diversion of public funds business as usual and failure to communicate with her staff (where are they now) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOqecrHyzko
Of course, the monies received from president Quinn's constituencies and power bases might be interesting. For now I would be satisfied with an acknowledgement of the money amounts involved, both in the underlying embezzlement conspiracy and in the "attorney" conduit payoffs that greased the escape hatches for these loathsome thieves.

Sep. 04 2012 11:56 AM

jgarbuz who murdered your children?
why would you have sex outside of marriage

Sep. 04 2012 11:56 AM
amq from brooklyn

reproductive rights are fundamental to all other rights. if I can't control my body it matters much less for there to be jobs, educational opportunities, etc.

Sep. 04 2012 11:55 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

I can't recall the last time I've ever heard of any discussion about "men's issues." Can anyone even name one???

Do you think men don't have any "issues"??

And don't men have any "reproductive rights"?? (I'll bet 90% - 99.99% or more have never even pondered this question.)

Sep. 04 2012 11:54 AM
Katie Kennedy from Huntington, NY

I believe contraception, abortion or any related issue is between a woman and her doctor. It should not be a political problem. Would I set aside my feeling about this issue and vote for a Republican on other issues? Would I want tax cuts for rich, do I want Nuclear Power Plants, do I want the environment ruined? Do I want Pell Grants cut? Medicare turned over to vouchers NO! So tell me what issue would get me to vote Republican?

Sep. 04 2012 11:54 AM
sheldon from brooklyn

Truth and beauty - you have this obsession with proper grammar, yet you wrote a fragmented sentence without a subject, last week. People in glass houses.

Sep. 04 2012 11:53 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I won't vote for anyone who is explicitly PRO-abortion! I lost a few children that way! It is MURDER!

Sep. 04 2012 11:51 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

What bugs me is that the Democratic Party always speaks as if they "own" women voters, as if they speak for ALL women, and as if it is inconceivable that any woman would disagree with them.

It is a manipulative technique, that implies the "truth" by simply asserting it.

Meanwhile, I've see lots of women marching on lines opposing abortion for years.

And this has nothing to do with my disagreeing with the Democrats on the issue itself; what it DOES do is to marginalize those women who disagree, by simply acting as if they don't exist.

It is THIS type of attitude and rhetoric that pushes each side further out.

Sep. 04 2012 11:51 AM
jm

Respect of bodily autonomy should be a given, because it's indicative of their overall empathy toward women.

If Republicans truly cared about "pro-life" legislation, they would address the fact that individual policy basic maternity care is only mandated in 12 states.

Sep. 04 2012 11:50 AM
Katherine

It fascinates me that women's issues are always pushed to the back burner and women are just supposed to swallow that and say, well, this isn't that important in the scheme of things. That we should sacrifice for the better good.

So women should always sacrifice and hope for the best? I somehow don't think that if this were a male issue that that men would be considered selfish for thinking about it.

Sep. 04 2012 11:50 AM
RCT from NYC

I was a teenager during the period prior to Roe v. Wade. Asking me to give up my reproductive rights is like asking me to place my life in the hands of the religious right.

No deal.

Sep. 04 2012 11:50 AM
Emily

I posted this on the part 1 board, but now I see that this topic is being reflected on comments on this board, so I will repost:

For me, the abortion issue comes down to whether we think women are full people capable of making their own decisions. If a candidate does not feel that I am fully a person, they will not get my vote, no matter their stance on other issues.

Sep. 04 2012 11:49 AM
chip

I'd be curious if you asked how many women (or anyone for that matter) would vote for a candidate who actually disagreed with them on abortion? And whether they have ever actually voted for a candidate who actually disagreed with them on abortion. For the record, I have, but only once...

Sep. 04 2012 11:46 AM
Truty & Beauty from Brooklyn

Brian-

All issues are women's issues. If we represent over 50% of the population, maybe we should ask what men's issues are. As it is, I vote on ALL the issues. I would not vote for a Republican BECAUSE they differentiate.

Sep. 04 2012 11:44 AM
jawbone

Suggestion to Brian's web master -- Can an auto message be set up to say that a comment has been received but not yet passed review or moderation?

It's hard to tell whether there's been some kind of glitch and a comment should be retyped, reposted OR it's being held up in the moderation queue.

It would be a kindess to commenters to let them know it has gone through.

OR...am I missing some message?

Sep. 04 2012 11:41 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

Brian, please tell Ms. Bartolomeo that one does not say: "Myself and my colleague." Correct syntax is: "My colleague and I." "Myself" is reflexive and should never be used as a subject.

Sep. 04 2012 11:41 AM
sheila from nyc

This is a snoozefest Brian. Enuf with the PR talkers. Golf events? cmon shut up.

Sep. 04 2012 11:38 AM
jawbone

I'd like to nominate Edward from NJ's comment at 11:16AM as the LOL comment of the morning.

Thanks for the laugh! It's been a tough weekend, finding my friend stricken with a stroke (pretty bad, and I found her too late for the clot busting drug), so I appreciate some good political humor.

Sep. 04 2012 11:37 AM
jawbone

I think the Christie Democrat, Susan, may be deluded by thinking Christie cares about cutting property taxes. His middle name, "We Dasn't Tax the Rich!", is not for nothing: He makes his giveaways to the wealthy and big businesses. They're much more helpful to him than the poor, working and middle classes can be.

For Christie, fuhgeddabout those lower economic quintiles, all four of 'em. Up with the Top Quintile, especially the Top of the One Percenters!

Also, Christie is a member in good standing of the old boys' club.

Sep. 04 2012 11:31 AM
Matthew from Rockland, what?

Bob Henley, do you work for the Christie campaign or WNYC/NPR? Why oh why does Bob Henley still have credibility here, obviously the man likes Christie for president and can't keep his personal views to himself. Be a reporter dude not a Christie press man.

Sep. 04 2012 11:26 AM
Robert from NYC

Is this Sheldon Silver's son?!

Sep. 04 2012 11:22 AM
Edward from NJ

Chris Cristie could actually beat Jerry Brown is a footrace if Paul Ryan was the timekeeper.

Sep. 04 2012 11:16 AM
Tyson from Brooklyn

It's time for Silver to take a walk. We should have term limits at all levels of government - a lifetime political class was never the intention.

Sep. 04 2012 11:13 AM

SILVER GO AWAY ALREADY!

Sep. 04 2012 11:09 AM
Jerry from nyc

Bob, Brian has made reference to the fat allusions by NYT and others. It is rather hard to look at Christie. Is this a real political liability? Did Romney reject Christie bc he is fat as is being reported? Is this all a red herring? on a bagel? with a lot of cream cheese? Comment as you see fit.

Sep. 04 2012 11:09 AM
Robert from NYC

SHELDON SILVER SHOULD RESIGN.

Sep. 04 2012 11:09 AM