Convention Night Call-In: RNC Thursday

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Brian Lehrer (Marco Antonio/WNYC)

Each evening during the conventions, Brian Lehrer hosts a convention call-in from 7-8pm, from WNYC in New York and around the country on the "(Mostly) Swing-State Radio Network". Get analysis of the convention, previews of that evening's speeches, and a chance to talk with public radio listeners in swing states around the country.

Featuring:

• Nate Silver of the blog Five Thirty Eight from The New York Times offers his analysis of recent polls and what has changed politically in the last four years.
  • Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley, ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee
  • A reporter's roundtable with: WUSF Tampa reporter John O'Connor; WNYC's Anna Sale, politics reporter for It's A Free Country; and Leoneda Inge of North Carolina Public Radio
  • Plus your calls! Want to join the conversation? Call 1-800-543-2543 or comment below
  • Stick around all night for coverage and a live chat on It's A Free Country

Tonight's Question for Republicans: What life experience has shaped your politics?

Tune in starting at 7pm EST Tuesday. Tonight we're on WNYC New York, New Jersey Public Radio, WAMU American University, WCPN-FM Cleveland,  WDET-FM Detroit, WHA-AM Wisconsin, WUNC Chapel Hill, and WUSF Tampa

(Election Special opening theme "My Robot" by Looper | Closing theme "Lighthouse" by Bryan Young)

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Ed from Larchmont

You said earlier that the president was disappointed that a president can not do as much as one would think. But he has done too much: he has expanded abortion coverage and abortion nationally and internationally. In addition, he has attacked religious freedom. I can't see how any Catholic can vote for him.

Sep. 06 2012 07:28 PM
susan wexler from new york city

quote from the west wing tv show--an african american to be assistant atorney general says, look at the back of the dollar--at the seal, there is an unfinished pyramid with the eye of god above, and underneath the latin for He (god) favors our undertaking. the seal is unfinished and this country is meant to be unfinished because we are meant to keep doing better.

quote's not exact its from the episode six meetings before lunch. its a beautiful set of words and i pray that president obama will say something like this and not apologize.

we are all doing better. does anyone remember what 2007/2008 was like? it was terrifying. even if you are out of a job and you all have my sympathy--do you think the republicans are big on unemployment benefits?

most importantly, president obama has helped this country forward on a path of racial healing--not just because he's of african descent, but because he has the support of so many of us of all different backgrounds. and because he does his best to lead this country--all of us. this is a priceless benefit and we are all the better for this.

Sep. 06 2012 07:26 PM
jawbone

Aaron, thank you so much for asking the question I was dying to hear asked of at least one of these Republicans who believe the Democrats have governed as Soviet style totalitarians with central planning and control.

Wow.

I think some of these folks need to make a reality check on their understanding of history and world politics, of US history and politics.

Dang, where's our commissariat, a word so unused here I an not sure of the spelling....? Who was our Stalin? Where are our Gulags?

Kind of scary...I would have loved to have heard these good people answer Aaron's question.

Aug. 30 2012 08:08 PM
jawbone

As a child I was raised in s Republican family and thought I was a Republican. I was especially proud to have been born on Lincoln's birthday, and I truly believed that all his great principles were the principles of the Republican Party.

As I grew older, I realized that my principles were best represented by the Democratic Party, and gradually, I became a Democrat.

I have voted Democratic in every election since then, except for one.

Now, in my 60's, I'm realizing that Democrats have been pulled and also pushed by Obama in many ways toward becoming more like the current Republicans. I now realize I will have to either find people to work with to develop a way to bring the current Democratic Party back to the principles it once held, and I still hold, or I will have to find a new party to align with.

BTW, there was a hagiographic video about Reagan -- who, when he took office, began the moves which have lead to the decline of the middle class in this nation. Now Obama is helping to keep that up; instead of fighting for all the people doing less well than they did 4 decades ago, he has worked to hel Big Banksters and Big Corporations. If elected, Romney will speed up and finalize the destruction of our middle class. Global corporations do not need a large and strong middle class; they need a frightened and insecure set of lower classes, clawing and fighting for crumbs or drops of that trickle down stuff. Yes, some will be welcomed into the professional classes, some managers, but the vast numbers needed will be outsourced, offshored. And Romney is excellent at that.

We need a party to represent the needs of all the people, without special and outrageous favor shown to the top of the One Percenters.

Aug. 30 2012 08:00 PM
Julia Pfaff from Alexandria, VA

Good evening, As an Independent in a Swing State-- Virginia, I am little frustrated by the way that the media characterize Independents. Nothing in our Constitution requires a two party system. It evolved. Our Founding Fathers warned against factions and parties. That said, parties are a convenient and efficient way to get elected and campaign, especially in large systems. Unfortunately, our two major parties have so corroded our political system that it benefits only the very elite of the parties. As an independent I vote the person. What is the quality of the leadership they will have? Will they listen to all sides? Do they have the ability to make difficult decisions which may not be popular and explain why this decision is necessary? We need to have more voices not less. How, the two parties silence those they don't want to hear from is truly chilling. For two examples, look at what the Republican party is doing to the Ron Paul supporters, Look at what the 8th Congressional District Democrats did to the primary challenger to the incumbent, look at the way that Ken Cucenelli, in Virginia has engineered the Republican Party decision to revisit the decision to hold a primary for Governor rather than a convention. By holding a convention, the party has shut out the many Virginians who are not partisan. I am tired of living in a world where everyone in the media believes that it is normal to live in a world of chocolate or vanilla ice cream. If you prefer mint chocolate chip, too bad choose. If you believe it is your duty to vote you choose. But then the media and the two parties assume you are not really Independent rather you are a closet Republican or Democrat.

Aug. 30 2012 07:34 PM
Tom from UWS

Some of the callers imply that Democrats are not capitalists. As a Democrat, I'd like to disabuse them of that idea.

Aug. 30 2012 07:29 PM
Aaron from New York / Kentucky / Maine / Massachusetts

I am astounded that Brian has not asked any of the callers who have listed, basically, Soviet-style communism as a reason to vote Republican what part of the Democratic platform, past or present, they see as similar to such a style of government.

Aug. 30 2012 07:27 PM
landless from Brooklyn

The small business owners described by the RNC seem to be service businesses and reliant upon general prosperity. I would assume that these companies are not heavily capitalized or training large numbers of employees. They don't seem essential to the economy; we can live without school djs. Since the RNC largest campaign contributions come from very large companies who I would have thought threatened small business owners, I am confused by the propaganda and I don't know how a reasonable discussion could be handled on this issue.

Aug. 30 2012 07:21 PM
eatthinkhappy from New York

I identify with many of the Republican ideas - smaller government, less influence in the lives of individuals, etc. But sadly Republicans in office are no longer that. Instead they are money grubbing, power hungry, seemingly useless individuals who seem to only seek to destroy the civil liberties of individuals (i.e. NDAA, abortion laws, etc.) and to cut government programs. So now I'm voting for Gary Johnson. Someone who will protect my civil liberties, keep out of my personal life, and create a government which is smaller and more efficient than that which we currently have. All those who say "voting for the lesser of two evils" really are not that bright. Voting for the lesser of two is still voting for evil.
Thank you.