Opinion: After Romney's Despicable Birther Joke, Is Mormonism Fair Game?

Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 03:25 PM

Mitt Romney Mitt Romney (Getty)

Jobs, Medicare, tax returns, and Mitt Romney jokes in Michigan about himself and his wife, “No one’s ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place where both of us were born and raised.”

Granted, Mr. Romney has said he believes Barak Obama is an American and was born in Hawaii. He says that when asked. However the questions about Obama and his background (and religion – is he a Muslim?) are a powerful source of mockery for Republicans.

After rumors that Donald Trump is planning some sort of spectacular media event in Tampa during the GOP convention, a Republicans friend of mine said he heard Trump was going to reveal “evidence” that Obama is not a born citizen and therefore not a legal President. Rumor has it that Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Arizona and Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, both strident anti illegal immigration advocates will join him.

Reminding people that Obama has a complicated background and that there have been doubts about where he was born is a terrific indirect way of raising the issue of race without actually mentioning his blackness. It’s really a sorry state of affairs in a year when the level of campaign negativity is already at an all time high to continue dragging these distractions into the race.

I fear that it may become tempting for the Democrats to bring up Romney’s religion, which is to the GOP contender what race and citizenship is to Obama. Mormonism is still mystifying to many Americans and its practices are by no means acceptable or accepted by a wide swath of U.S. voters.

When we discussed this, one of my friends joked that Obama should say, “A reporter asked me this week what kind of underwear I prefer. I wear Fruit of the Loom boxers. I’m not sure what kind of underwear Mr. Romney wears."

Tags:

More in:

Ronald

Well put Levi, except it’s “Mandy” not “Mandey”…
I don’t think we have anything to worry about Mandy. The biggest issue that I can see is that Americans are going to have to do a little bit of homework. They have to understand what a true “Mormon” is. A true “Mormon” is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Also known as LDS. There are a lot of people who have wrong conception as to what LDS members do and what they believe. There are several cults that have formed using only some of Mormon beliefs, but they are not condoned or recognized by the true LDS church.
The LDS church does not worship Joseph Smith the same way they wouldn’t worship Isaiah or Moses of old. They worship God the Eternal Father and his Begotten Son Jesus Christ. I don’t find that hard to swallow.
However, Levi was right in his description of Obama. He is a shady, slithering, sneaky little man who lurks in shadows and hides under damp logs and slimmy wet rocks. He’d surely make a good stunt double for Gollum in the next “The Hobbit” movie.
I encourage all to be very mindful in who they vote for this coming election. Voting a “protest vote” as Daniel Weir put it, is plain dumb and ignorant. Our country calls and needs the better of the two.

Aug. 29 2012 05:45 PM
Levi from New Mexico

Relax Mandey, wake up, observe and smell the details!!!

Romney seems to be a solid man and a family man at that. I welcome his values and those of the Mormon Church. Something that this country has lost in gross proportions. The Mormon Church is Christian based, another point I like. I’m sure that Romney would not declare the month of June as homosexual, lesbian, bisexual, transgender appreciation month. Are you kidding me??? What is that crap? How sickening! I’m supposed to appreciate a dam bisexual? A bisexual infers one who is not even loyal to their gay lover!! What next Obama? What about those who prefer bestiality or pedophiles? Should we appreciate them and say “In diversity comes strength”.
Romney is an excellent candidate and this country couldn’t need him more than they do now. Obama is an abomination and should scare the crap out of any halfway intelligent patriotic American aware of Obama’s history and current results. He slithers in dark shadows, hides things, has a secretive shady history and his wife “all this for a dam flag?” is disgraceful to the United States of America.
Anyone who votes for Obama should be totally ashamed of themselves. There is not one good thing about that man. I still can’t believe that people actually voted for him, enough that he got elected. Obama grew up communist.
Most Obama voters are voting for him because they want “free stuff” (which is not free as it comes off the back of working Americans) or they vote for him because he is black. He has canvased the uneducated, poor and minorities. I’m sure they are shooting for illegal “illegal alien” votes as well.
If Obama gets reelected, the results will be absolutely disastrous to what was once the Proud USA.

Aug. 29 2012 05:25 PM
Mandy Pottersgrove from Idaho

A candidate's religion (belief system) should always be examined. It forms the foundation of a their worldview, upon which decisions are made. For Mitt Romney his Mormonism, with all its weird cult-like presuppositions, is what guides his choices. A Mormon's highest commitment is to follow the instructions of the Mormon "Prophet" in Salt Lake City. Don't let them fool you otherwise. Read 'Social Code' by Cass Tell, a novel that tells it all.

Aug. 29 2012 04:08 AM
J'en ai marre

Mitt wants to cap the success of the "Curiosity" landing on Mars, with the launch of the probe "Ignorance" to the planet Kolob.

Aug. 27 2012 09:47 AM
E B

What a ridiculous premise! The press has already made Mormonism fair game. The press has already made it seem perfectly acceptable to question everything about Romney and nothing about Obama. We know more of Romney's history than Obama's. We know more of Romney's record than Obama's. We know more of Romney's (supposed) failures than Obama's. We know very little of Romney's successes, but since we don't know much of Obama's successes I'm left to conclude he doesn't have many. The bias in the press necessitates searching out both sides, because both sides leave stuff out and how can you make an informed opinion about issues or candidates without understanding conflicting points of view?

Romney is not who the press makes him out to be. He is not a birther, for example. Neither is the GOP electorate what the press makes them out to be. Thanks for listening.
www.conservativemormonmom.blogspot.com

Aug. 26 2012 08:43 PM
listener

As long as Romney is gaining in the polls, anything will be rationalized as fair game. Anything Romney does or says as he gains momentum will be used as justification for the nasty attacks by the Obama supporters.
Romney and Ryan have witnessed the tactics of the last four years and are certainly prepared to withstand it and turn it against them...and with a smile.

Aug. 26 2012 08:10 PM
David Farrar from Georgia

Yes Daniel,

I'll take you up on it.

If all Republicans were quitters like you, where do you think our Republic would be today? Our country was built not by quitters, but by doers. People would knew what was right and were willing to stand up and fight for that right.

Quite if you want to, Daniel. We don't need quitters anyway.

ex animo
davidfarrar

Aug. 26 2012 08:01 PM
David Farrar from Georgia

Romney has just slapped Obama across his face with his own birth certificate and is now challenging Obama to either put up or shut up. And what does Obama do in response to this diss? He runs away with his tail between his legs, hollering 'racism', 'racism', rather than try and bring his two phony birth certificates into court -- pathetic!

Obama -- nobody else, just Obama -- has either lied about where he was born or lied about being born in Kenya. Either way, he has lied about his place of birth and rightfully called his qualifications for the office of the Presidency into question. People, white or black, are completely justified in asking for further proof that Obama has met his Constitutional qualifications.

If Obama wanted to put an end to his birth certificate charade, he could have done so on any number of occasions by simply bringing his real birth certificates into court. But that's not his game. His game is to stoke the dying embers of racism in this country so he can use it for his own political gain.

ex animo
davidfarrar

Aug. 26 2012 07:44 PM
Daniel Weir from San Antonio

I voted for Ronald Reagan in 1980.
I would have voted for Gerald Ford in 1976, but I was just shy of 18 - the legal voting age - at that time.
I voted for Reagan in 1984.
I voted for George Bush Sr. in 1988.
I voted for Bush Sr. in 1992.
I voted for Robert Dole in 1996.
I voted for George W. Bush in 2000.
I voted for Bush Jr. in 2004.
I voted for John McCain in 2008.
I'm voting for Barack Obama this year -- because I'm sick and tired of all these lamebrain, numbskull conspiracy theories. Obama is not a U.S. citizen; we didn't land on the moon; the Holocaust is a hoax; the Jews are plotting to take over the world. What a pile of racist, anti-Jewish, pro-KKK nonsense!
Call this my protest vote; my protest against anti-Semitism, bigotry, paranoia, conspiracism, racism, etc.
Anyone care to take me on with this?

Aug. 26 2012 05:02 PM
GonzoMan

Chas- Wrong. religion can have offensive doctrines that a President might carry in his soul. If he's a person of faith he can NEVER surrender his values and we should scrutinize them before handing over and entire country to him.

Aug. 26 2012 04:45 PM
chas holman from USA

It's ALL fair.. you know, politics is basically the art of seeing how much 'they' can stomach.

But who wants to go there?

Governor Romney's record and words should be good enough to demonstrate anything one needs on either side, support or not.

I don't support Governor Romney for a lot of reasons.. his particular brand of religion ~I could care less about.

Aug. 26 2012 04:08 PM