That's My Issue Open Phones: Social

Friday, August 24, 2012

On That's My Issue Day, we want you to share your badge with your friends through social media

It's That's My Issue Day, when we're inviting you to make an Issue Badge and share it with your friends. And as we do, the phones are open to talk about how your friends and others - teachers, parents, anyone - have influenced your politics. Have you had an experience with another person shape the way you view an issue? Call 212-433-9692.

Jessie Henshaw from way uptown

My issue is that the conclusive scientific evidence that resource depletion is at the center of the whole spectrum of our economic problems keeps getting socially discredited, and then socially excluded from the political discussion. Once scientific findings become socially unacceptable to discuss, even WNYC goes along with ignoring them, decade after decade.

Ever faster depletion of resources of every kind, (including of our own ability to adapt to ever faster change), naturally results from our using growth as our "business model" for earth. It causes us to consume everything useful on earth ever faster, as both a theory of "prosperity" and as a measurable fact of changing the earth. It's progressively raising both the whole economy's overhead costs and resource prices.

Managing our world for endless growth as it runs into conflict with nature also changes the nature of business and competition. It naturally results in it changing from a culture of competing to expand our opportunities, to a culture of increasing conflict over shrinking opportunities. Our culture of denial about it is what leaves us helpless and unable to act.

That we don't ever hear about the hard science demonstrating it demonstrates our failure as a body politic, and the negligence of our media.

Aug. 24 2012 11:32 AM
Veronica from Florida

When your major contacts are only family and others who usually have the same views and religious background, you reflect your surroundings. It was not until I started working (outside my normal neighborhood) and was introduced to people with different views did I realize that it was okay to explore other opinions. I was brought up Catholic, educated in the Catholic school system though college with most of my contacts being Italian background. I am now 60 and pride myself with an independent thinker's approach. I had to fly out of the nest to expand. I am sure others have had the same experience.

Aug. 24 2012 11:22 AM
Cate from Manhattan

I grew up visiting my aunt and her girlfriend and it never occurred to me that her being gay was different until I was a teen and classmates coming out in high school was a big deal to them. It made me realize that acceptance (or not acceptance) is completely learned. It's also made me a fierce supporter of gay rights politically. In my opinion, social issues and equality (for women, gays, minorities, reproductive rights, etc) should be SO much more important in how you vote than voting based on fiscal policy alone.

Aug. 24 2012 11:19 AM
carol from nyc

My father. He, a white guy, married my mom a south american immigrant, and produced me and my siblings, happy little mutts. One day he starts ranting about hispanic illegal immigrants, saying they should speak english and stop stealing our jobs, stop reproducing, etc. The whole shebang, if you get the picture. I was appalled. I pointed out that my mother was just such a hispanic immigrant, and that she'd reproduced, having produced his children. He replied that that was "different." I failed to see the difference. My mom, once she became a citizen, turned her back on immigrant issues, switched from being a Democrat to a Republican. Both my parents presented me with an undeniable contradiction, a hypocrisy that I couldn't fail to see. When you see such disjunction, you're forced to think, and think hard. I didn't want to be like that: blind to my own ignorance. Well, I'm a total socialist now, after living in France for a decade in my twenties, and benefitting from national healthcare and a (nearly) free education. Thanks to Mom and Dad opening my eyes on how wrong and selfish and self-centered people can be. They're still wondering how I got this way, and I keep saying they didn't raise me to be a fool.

Aug. 24 2012 11:16 AM
kay from brooklyn

oh, an apologist for charlantan fouad ajami. kudos! U forgot to mention judith miller in the same breath, and, oh, I almost forgot that "little business" called WMDs. Fly a kite! It's saner

Aug. 24 2012 11:14 AM

this segment is rehearsed right?...

Aug. 24 2012 10:51 AM
kay from Brooklyn

No friggin' FRACKING in the Catskills. Please? Pretty please?

Aug. 24 2012 10:44 AM