Blasting Halted But Work to Resume at 2nd Ave Subway Site

MTA chairman Joe Lhota said work will resume Monday at the Second Avenue subway site where a blast went awry this week — but no blasting will occur.

The authority chief said blasting would begin again "as soon as we are satisfied" following the controlled explosion Tuesday at the corner of East 72nd Street and Second Avenue that sent debris onto the street and broke nearby windows.

“As soon as we are satisfied, the MTA is satisfied, that it is safe to blast that’s when it will happen,” Lhota said Thursday, “but complete work, which has been suspended there, will start up again on Monday. Blasting when I’m satisfied.”

An independent inspector is expected to review all safety protocols at the site. Lhota said previously that blasting would resume at the site after the review was completed.

Crews were blasting to make way for an escalator shaft. The MTA believes engineers miscalculated the direction of the controlled blast and that steel plates covering the site could not withstand the impact of the blast.

Jim O'Grady contributed reporting.