2008 vs. 2012

Friday, August 24, 2012

WNYC's Andrea Bernstein compares the political atmosphere in 2008 to the political atmosphere this year as we head into the conventions next week.

Andrea Bernstein
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

anna from new york

"You used five posts when one would do. This clearly demonstrates that either you are paid by the piece or have ADHD."
Well, Alum,
There are problems with your comment. Many of them.
Clearly, I wasn't born in this country. What is unknown is that I didn't receive orders like: write in one comment or you will be labeled.
Well, I don't care where Obama was born. I do despise him.
I saw him as charlatan in 2007, and see him the same way now.
No, I don't think Obama is a socialist. I actually think that he has only one ideology - I have to be rich, powerful and famous. Unlike him, I am a Social-Democrat who doesn't care about my being rich, famous and powerful.
I am still a registered Democrat, but it looks like am not going to vote this year. Early in 2007, I declared pompously (untypical for me) that "I'd rather die than vote for Obama" and I am even more adamant now. I think that the world is in danger right now and I have no doubt that Obama's behaviour (ignorant or worse) has contributed to this disintegration. And yes, distabilized world is bad, very bad for America.
I also see nothing what he has done domestically to engourage a change of mind. Among other things, I am not forgiving him his killing of single payer.
Now, you don't know how comical you interpretation (from what look like very limited educational perspective) of me, personally multicultural, miltilingual and yes, "multidegreed" is.
dr anna

Aug. 27 2012 09:51 AM

@Anna from New York --

We get that you are an Obama-hater. The fact that you can recall no other candidate's pre-election autobiography is illustrative of your derangement. I'll give you a hint, google "My Six Crises".

You are deluded if you think that Obama was born anyplace else other than Hawaii. You are deluded if you think that Obama is a socialist. You are deluded if you think that electing a tax-evading, flip-flopping, pseudo-con hairstyle into the White House will do anything but make our present problems worse.

Giving the Republican party the power to nominate the next two Supreme Court justices would just seal our doom.

Aug. 25 2012 10:34 AM
anna from new york

"So Obama has been treated and regarded differently then other presidents. From being called a LIAR during a State of the Union Speech"
John from office,
Well, other presidents don't precede their run for office with "autobiography" (translation: "fairy tales for the feeble minded")

Aug. 24 2012 06:18 PM
anna from new york

Well, can we be surprised the "Truth" votes for "Hope.
The rest is paying for charlatanry.

Aug. 24 2012 06:11 PM
anna from new your

The lie who calls herself "Truth,"
I am waiting for impeachment procedures and then maybe we will find out why our President did to this country (and the world what he did?

Aug. 24 2012 06:09 PM
anna from new york

John from office,
Well, you are an antisemite.

Aug. 24 2012 06:06 PM
anna from new york

"Obama is a mixed race man, well educated, raised by white grandparents who better understands America"
I agree. Obama/Reverend Wright/Weather Underground understood that ignorant population, deprived of knowledge of history and any sensitivity to demagoguery will vote for "Hope, unity, change."
I don't know of any other President who had such contempt for Americans as Obama/Reverend Wright/Weather Underground. First you serve "I Am Wonderful" "autobiography," then smile and repeat "Hope, unity, change" and ... morons chant "Hope, unity, change."

Aug. 24 2012 06:03 PM
The Truth from Becky

I eagerly await the debates, maybe THEN mitt will tell everyone, including his blind followers and race haters, what he has planned for this Country.

Aug. 24 2012 11:50 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Thanks for bringing up global climate disruption & its near-absence from both campaigns. I just got an email from the League of Conservation Voters about a SignOn petition to call on Jim Lehrer to ask the candidates about it in the 1st presidential debate.

Aug. 24 2012 11:01 AM
Matthew from Brooklyn

[[We're edited this comment to remove profanity. -BL Moderator]]

"Conventions aren't news, they're infomercials" puts it succinctly, yet WNYC and every other media outlet will faithfully reproduce those informercials. Indeed, WNYC is touting how many people they're sending down to Tampa (what a squandering of member contributions). Insider meta-commentary about how the parties are trying to tell their "stories" just doesn't cover it.

NPR's ex-Congressional reporter Andrea Seabrook's rare moment of truth-telling about political reporting -- that she couldn't tell her audience when politicians were lying to her (um, like everyday) -- speaks volumes about how the media covers this world.

Aug. 24 2012 10:57 AM
Bob from Pelham, NY

Gov. Christie's comments on the Republican party platform reminds me of the losing campers' chant led by Bill Murray in the movie "Meatballs": "It just doesn't matter!, It just doesn't matter"

Aug. 24 2012 10:56 AM

"WE Believe in America"? Really??

Well, you couldn't prove it by the amount of filibustering going on in the Senate. The fact that the VOTERS have NOT acted to end the GOP logjamming of the country's business makes me infer that they are okay with it. And then you wonder why a Tea Party spoiled brat behavior holds the floor.

We sort of asked for this...and the only way to end it is to give the President enough seats to MAKE the GOP compromise.

Aug. 24 2012 10:55 AM
Martin Chuzzlewi from Manhattan

But, gee, the Dems successfully avoid talking about the miniaturization of Obama's Presidency.

BRIAN - You guys always want to go back to abortion, war on women, yada, yada.

Aug. 24 2012 10:54 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

BRIAN - You guys always want to go back to abortion, the war on women, yada, yada.

Aug. 24 2012 10:54 AM
john from office

Since we are revisiting Abortion as an issue, maybe we can revisit Slavery, voting for women and for good measure prohibition. And we cannot forget going back to the gold standard, so we can all walk around with gold coins.

This is the world of the Mitt/Ryan/Adelson administration.

Aug. 24 2012 10:45 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

The difference in the political atmosphere is that "hope and change" has become an actual record of debt, doubt, demoralization and decline.

And you are all in denial

Aug. 24 2012 10:31 AM

Hey, MartinC -

Your radio must somehow miraculously be able to tune in the future. Why don't you do something useful with it? Warn the innocent about impending disaster...Win the Lottery. Move away.

Instead you waste your time decrying Obama's poor performance for not getting a recalcitrant and obstreperous Senate to actually obey their oaths of office and act Americans mattered more than party. Filibusters for the sole purpose of blocking the people's business is treason. When more voters see it my way (rather than yours), we'll cast out these GOP traitors.

Until then...post away!

Aug. 24 2012 10:28 AM
Dan

Romney will:
Voucher-ize (abolish) Medicare
Privatize (abolish) Social Security
Defund (abolish) Medicaid
Raise taxes on the middle class and poor
Lower taxes on the rich
Protect corporate subsidies
Protect offshore-blind-trust-accounts
Increase the MIC budget
Eliminate the Dept. of Education and the EPA
De-regulate Wall Street and Banks
Eliminate women's rights, equal pay and health care
Repeal the Affordable Health Care Act
Repeal the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act
Defund Planned Parenthood
Cut 4.1 million jobs by 2014
And raise the deficit to $16 trillion by 2021

Aug. 24 2012 10:07 AM
joe from nearby

If Romney/Ryan/Rove think we're going to blame the President for the consequences of the GOP's Campaign of Obstruction & Chicanery, they need to have their heads examined.

Aug. 24 2012 10:05 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

...oops, sorry. Couldn't resist.
My bad.

Aug. 24 2012 08:34 AM
BL Producer

We have not removed any comments, but please remember the WNYC posting policy and keep your comments civil, and refrain from personal attacks. Thank you.

Aug. 24 2012 08:27 AM
john from office

Look in the mirror Mr. Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan , I am hispanic, black, Irish and Spanish. You cannot see your own racism in your comments.

You write like a self important "expert", when all you are is a little cog in a machine looking to rid America of the Negro President. Don't forget to call him Anti Israel, that important! Little minds, little "member".

Aug. 24 2012 08:05 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

Finished now, Dr. Schweitzer, LOL?
The self-righteous little white guys who believe they are the only ones in the world who aren't racists are really amusing.

After 4 years of poor performance and a record that even Obama doesn't want to discuss...they still need to play the race card....against the very same well-meaning white people who put Obama there in the first place. Even the liberal white guys need to invent evil white guys. Guffaw!

Oh, that we might all be as spiritually and morally superior as THESE white guys.
Sigh.

Yes, and then they state for the umpteenth time the bogus claim (which nobody believes after hundreds of slobbering encomiums) that they are really Republicans. What a hoot! That's why I love to listen, read and post here. You couldn’t make this stuff up.

Great show.

Aug. 24 2012 07:48 AM
John from office

To his credit, Obama, has dealt with all the racial nonsense with DIGNITY, and shown himself to be a President. May God and the electorate grant him a second term so that he may smit all things unamerican, like the Tea Party. And in the second term may the Adelson court cases proceed.

Aug. 24 2012 07:32 AM
john from office

Sorry I misspoke, I meant wrap their very little heads around having a black man in the Whitehouse.

Aug. 24 2012 07:24 AM
john from office

Ed, lets remember block and tackle. One week after Obama won the Republicans met and decided to block any and all legislation put forth by Obama. All to deny him a second term. Hope and change was killed by the politics of MEAN.

Lets not forget that many Americans still cannot wrap their heads around having a Black man, a negro, an african american, in the Whitehouse. So Obama has been treated and regarded differently then other presidents. From being called a LIAR during a State of the Union Speech, to the questioning of his birth certificate, to the racial coding in the Adelson/Ryan/Romney ads.

Welfare=Black, Food stamps=Black, Urban=Black, He does not understand America= code for he is not one of us he is a negro, muslim not native born. I am a Republican, but am ashamed at the tone and actions of my party.

Ameica is better than this, Obama is a mixed race man, well educated, raised by white grandparents who better understands America, then any Romney/Adelson/Ryan can.

Aug. 24 2012 07:20 AM
Ed from Larchmont

Hope and change sounded good. But this time we need real, substantial reasons for hope.

Aug. 24 2012 05:51 AM