That's My Issue Open Phones: Home Ownership

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

That's My Issue is our election-year series to gather stories of how personal experience has shaped your politics. You can write your story and create a personalized badge, record your story directly from your computer, read essays, and do lots more on the That's My Issue home page.

Today: A Brian Lehrer Show call-in for anyone who has purchased a home, or owns a home, and how it changed your politics. Did the government help you, or hurt you in the process? Did you change your take on taxes or property rights? Give us a call at 212-433-9692.

→ Want to share your story? Visit the That's My Issue Homepage

NYC Resident from New Yorker

I purchased an apt. thru the Housing Lottery. Unfortunately, my apt. coop is a lemon built by city and state funding. The building has mold issues, leaks, a roof which was not pitched correctly, and many construction issues. AG's office has a ton of complaints about various new construction. How does HPD decide on their vendors? Why is this a problem all around NYC? Why is there no oversight to the construction by the Buildings Dept. & HPD? Why does HPD use the same vendors who on record have donated numerous amounts of money to various elected officials. How can you call this affordable when it's not. HPD needs to be investigated?

Aug. 22 2012 10:13 PM
Gail Ostrow from Bridgeport, CT

The more that happens, the more I lean toward I suppose what is the left, if the left is compassion, and civic participation, and community. I too live in Bridgeport in a neighborhood with private homes, multiplexes, apartments, and Section 8 housing. Our local schools contain up to 40 different languages. This is my world as it is today, and one that deserves good schools, health care, honest government, and the best police force we can find. And this requires taxes and government and everyone doing their fair share. I am happy to pay my fair share.

Aug. 22 2012 12:22 PM
David from Fredericksburg, VA

@ fuva from harlemworld

I'd like to see the bankers drawn & quartered.

Failing that - I'd like to see them prosecuted (fat chance).

Aug. 22 2012 11:49 AM
David from Fredericksburg, VA

@ Jim

Everyone does pay school - directly or indirectly. Landlords pay the tax, renters pay rent to the landlord.

Why don't we only charge parents? Children can grow up to be productive citizens or drags (welfare, prisoners, etc.). All of society benefits from having educated children.

As to why local governments get to have a monopoly on education tax dollars - that's a whole different subject.

Aug. 22 2012 11:47 AM
Michelle from New York, NY

I own a 3 family multi family home in NYC, I have become less tolerant of tenants rights. I have one rent control tenant and the $300 a month rent cost me money. I am a private citizen providing this tenant with a rent subsidy. It actually puts rents up because I have to charge the free market tenant more rent to cover the costs

Aug. 22 2012 11:42 AM
fuva from harlemworld

See, when people call-in and hate on other home owners who "got loans they couldn't afford" and are now getting "bailed out", Brian should ask how they feel about the financially-sophisticated bankers -- with much much bigger profits and bail outs -- who led these "greedy" financial illiterates over the cliff...

Aug. 22 2012 11:42 AM
Daniel

Home ownership makes one more conservative. This has been known for at least 100 years, and is why conservatives push for home ownership.

Aug. 22 2012 11:39 AM
Ann from NJ

owning my home makes me much more aware of property taxes and local government. I am so amazed at the lack of transparency in local government. where all the money goes should be much more transparent-- also most people dont realize how much revenue we used to get from NJ state.
and the may 2012 court ruling on the bond fixing scandal that has affected almost every county in the country(Matt Taibi Rolling Stone) is not reported on at all.
To look at local government is just perplexing if it could be made more clear and transparent I think more people would get interested in politics. It is so convoluted it seems like a mystery.

Aug. 22 2012 11:37 AM

When my family rented I felt oppressed by the landlord, and hurt by the sense of "money going down the drain." Now that my family owns (and rents out one of the units) I feel the yoke of the mortgage for them -- still more than a decade to go -- as still worse oppression. I currently rent and will be happy to rent for the rest of my life for flexibility, greater freedom and affordability, and in NYC more space for less.

Aug. 22 2012 11:37 AM
Patricia from Greenwich, CT

I think a lot of homeowners will change their politics when they realise that the Romney/Ryan ticket is considering revoking the mortgage interest deduction in their budget. This would indeed be a tax increase for most people because their home is their biggest asset and probably their biggest deduction on their tax returns.

Aug. 22 2012 11:37 AM
Ken Scher from Harlem

I was perfectly happy to rent and was fully committed to my neighborhood for 40 years until Mitchell-Lama imploded. Wound up buying a coop because low interest rates, flat market, and the mortgage tax deduction made that possible, and that's how we managed to stay in the city.

My issue: Either extend the mortgage tax credit to renters or phase it out for owners.

Aug. 22 2012 11:35 AM
Jim

Becoming a home owner has made me question why school budgets are paid for by homeowners and not parents of students.

Aug. 22 2012 11:34 AM
David from Fredericksburg, VA

Home Ownership didn't change my politics - but it sure made me mad as hell when politicians started talking about throwing money at people that bought more house than they could afford.

I had to take a loss on my previous home in NJ - I had to move to VA for work & I had to sell. Although I took a loss, I counted myself lucky that I was able to sell at all.

Then my home in VA fell in value - hey I bought the house & I took my chances.

But, because I was stupid enough to put down a significant down payment, my home mortgage isn't underwater (it's just at the water line!)

Then, the politicians want to give others money because they bought houses with 100% mortgages. It made (and makes) me mad as hell.

Aug. 22 2012 11:31 AM
Sandra from Springfield Gardens, Queens

I purchases a house last year because was rent would have been higher than my current mortgage. I am now afraid that politicians will challenge the tax benefits of owning a house because I am only able to make repairs and upgrades using my tax refund.

Aug. 22 2012 11:30 AM