One Hundred Years of Middle East History

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Bernard Lewis, historian professor emeritus at Princeton University, talks about the historical roots of the Middle Eastern conflicts and his memoir, entitled Notes on a Century: Reflections of a Middle East Historian. He's joined by Fouad Ajami, senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University and author of The Syrian Rebellion, to discuss recent political developments in the Middle East.

→ EVENT: Tel Aviv University will host a dinner honoring Bernard Lewis, including a tribute from Fouad Ajami, at The Pierre on Wednesday, September 12th

Fouad Ajami and Bernard Lewis

anna from new york

Well, I was right about Laila ... and Obama.
Listen what Ajmedinejad is saying.

Aug. 26 2012 04:00 PM
anna from new wyork

Many people talked about the present day fusion of some pseudo left/fascism/Islamism and I've decided to give a concrete example.
Dr. Abbas who received his doctorate for DENYING the Holocaust at the Patrice Lumumba University for the Friendship of the Peoples (yes at Moscow, yes, at that Moscow, yes profoundly Soviet, not that it's better now) seems to be a good example.
If I understand it correctly, the first international call Obama placed was ... to this Holocaust denier.
Yes, I find it interesting. The first presidential(? too lazy to check) speech abroad was his infamous speech to ... Muslim Brotherhood appeal ling to establish its democracy. We now have this "democracy."
BTW, our dear "international" Leo, are you a graduate of this or similar "Institute of Friendship?"

Aug. 23 2012 11:07 AM
BL Producer

We've removed several comments for violating the WNYC posting policy. The comments in this thread got out of hand, and we've tried to remove the most clear violations of profanity, personal attacks, etc. It's difficult to unwind all of the violations, but we've done our best.

As for the audio, the correct audio should now be posted. Apologies for the mixup.

Aug. 23 2012 08:18 AM
anna from new york

"Laila tries to link Israel with the madness raging through the Arab world."
Yes. It looks like she is paid for it.

Aug. 22 2012 05:50 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

When Muslims of various stripes can't get along with each other, ie Sunni/Shiite/Salafis/Wahabbi/Sufi, is it any wonder that they don't get along with non-Mulims?

Laila tries to link Israel with the madness raging through the Arab world. A simple read of recent history in the Arab world shows how wrong Laila is.

- Libya
- Tunisia
- Syria
- Iraq
- Afghanistan
- Pakistan
- Islamic Regime of Iran

Anarchy, hate, murder reins in the above.

Aug. 22 2012 05:20 PM

@meathead

More nonsense from you?

Try to complete a thought. Yes, there are Sunni and Shiite. SO?? Yes, they sure hate each other. they kill each other every day somewhere in the world, because of the different sect. Again so??? The religious difference they have is insignificant. Certainly from our perspective. They both are commanded to kill the infidels. that's the takeaway. FOCUS on that please.

And they do kill the infidels. TODAY. That's the other takeaway. So if you want to argue that Jews were aggressive and intolerant 3 millenia ago, fine, take that and run with it. but where? why is that important today? we are debating islam TODAY because it's costing us billions in security costs. 20 thousand acts of violence in the name of islam since Sept. 2001.

OK! I will "recognize that Islam is one of the 3 Abrahamic faiths" SO???? Are there any rabbis walking into schools with suicide vests killing children? get back to me when you find one.

Aug. 22 2012 04:43 PM

@Taher
@meathead

I share here a link to a MEMRI video, with English subtitles, of the terrorist (released in the Shalit exchange) who facilitated the Sbarro terrorist attack, Ahlam Tamimi, recounting the joy she and all those around her felt at the murder of innocent Jews.

It will make your blood run cold, but it must be seen and shared broadly.

These are the people and culture of hate and intolerance which both of you are apologists for----if you'll pardon the term, Mr. Meat.

Aug. 22 2012 03:42 PM

@Gary:

Your words in quotes:

"This is the evil that is known as Islam. The only religion whose messiah was a conquorer with blood on his hands. Rape, pillage and enslave. That’s the legacy, and that’s what Muslims today accept as their ideology.

The peace treaties that Israel signed with Egypt and Jordan are invalid because the Koran prohibits peace with the infidel. Nothing can contradict with the Koranic message."

You seem to be the expert on Islam. Gary the PhD in Islamic studies - and all Islamic studies! No differences between Sunni and Shiite; practiced the same in Tunisia and Turkey, Iran and Indonesia. And then you cry victim when people think you might have some prejudicial views tangled in there. You speak with absolutisms, and then you ask everyone to argue against your points. (Absolute BS is what it is - but you don't see that).

You apparently don't even recognize that Islam is one of the 3 Abrahamic faiths, you don't recognize that the other major organized religions have there own blemishes, and you don't seem to think it an issue with stereotyping all Muslims as one monolithic force.

Please tell me Gary, how anyone can argue your feeling, how anyone can rebut your statement, that: "this is the evil that is known as Islam. Rape, pillage and enslave...that’s what Muslims today accept as their ideology."

Aug. 22 2012 03:36 PM

Gary:

I'm gonna skip over you changing my handle from meatwnyc (me at wnyc) to meathead. We've already had this conversation in the past: I've expressed I think it's childish on your part and actually makes you look foolish to the other readers, but it seems you're gonna indulge in it anyway. Truthfully I think that should be the end of the discussion, but I'll indulge shortly here.

Back onto your first comment about 'apologists'. My take is that the opinion you expressed was done to label those with an opinion counter to yours in a certain derogative way, as 'apologist'. You didn't lob this at a particular commenter, you lobbed it, with invective, towards anyone taking a certain opinion contrary to your 'non-apologist' one.

Why though, are you here anyway? If you're so concerned with being able to here the 'fair and balanced' voices that you think Brian doesn't bring on, then why don't you listen to Fox news where you know they'll be properly represented there. Are you here for another reason?

You stated: "But there are many ways to rebut me". Honestly, I don't think you really believe that's true, and that's why I haven't bothered trying to argue with you about your points.

Aug. 22 2012 03:19 PM

@Taher
@Meathead

Please learn something from Glen's comments. This is the evil that is known as Islam. The only religion whose messiah was a conquorer with blood on his hands. Rape, pillage and enslave. That’s the legacy, and that’s what Muslims today accept as their ideology.

The only time Muslems have behaved themselves, since Mohammad sent is armies out to slay the infidel and conquer the world for Allah in AD 632, is following a massive and catastrophic defeat . The first being at Tours in 732. The Muslems whined about their massive and catastrophic losses at Tours until the Spanish kicked them out of the Iberian Peninsula.

Now they cry about their loss of ‘al Andalus’. There are more such battles and Muslems still piss and moan about their defeats.

There is no provision in the Koran for any land taken during a jihad (holy war) to be returned to its previous owners. It is still an Islamic holy land even though they no longer control it; hence aka, “Occupied Territories”.

Aug. 22 2012 03:16 PM
anna from new york

Glen,
I would like just add an "interesting" detail to your summary - the tendency to place mosques on other people's sacred places.

Aug. 22 2012 03:06 PM

British Prime Ministers Gladstone and Churchill warned Parliament about the dangers or Wahhabi Islam during the latter years of the 19th century.
1910 saw the World Missionary Conference in Edinburgh called to deal with Islamic aggression southward in Africa. In 1920, Churchill again warns Parliament about the threat posed by Wahhabi Islam.

In 1938, Hillaire Belloc wrote, "Our grandchildren and great grandchildren will be fighting against renewed Islamic aggression".

What did our leaders from the 19th and 20th centuries know about Islam that our leaders have conveniently forgotten? Maybe a sense of History, real History before the Leftist revisionist version of history became the vogue.

Aug. 22 2012 02:58 PM

Tahir/Taher,

There has never been imperialism as practiced by the Islamic hordes. In 632, AH 10 to Islamophiles, Mohammad ordered the Islamic armies to slay the infidel and conquer the world for Allah. This is the same war since the Koran prohibits peace with the infidel.

In 732, the invading Islamic armies were stopped and slaughtered at Tours leading to their being kicked out of Spain in 1492. Turning eastward, by 732 the Islamic armies had conquered half of India and part of China, taking over half the Byzantine Empire and toppling the ancient Persian Empire on the way. Not even the Romans could equal that. The Islamic armies were turned back at Vienna in 1529 and again in 1683. This lead to the eventual expulsion from from most of Eastern Europe. In 1571, the combined Christian fleets defeated the Islamic navy at Lepanto thereby preventing a re-invasion of Spain.

In the early 1700s the Wahhab clan and the House of Saud aligned themselves in preparation for what is occurring in the world today, Islam has resumed its aggression with the intent to dominate the world with Sharia law.

Aug. 22 2012 02:52 PM
evan from Washington Heights

WNYC, Can you please put up the correct audio for this? It is currently playing a segment on home ownership.

Thanks

Aug. 22 2012 02:42 PM

Gary,
I will disagree with your comment that Liberals consider all cultures of equal value because I do not believe they see anything of value and worth preserving within our American culture.

Re: "The Syrian Rebellion" - Ajami,

My comments below are based on "The Looming Towers: Al Qaeda and the Road to 9-11" - Lawrence Wright.

It was about 100 years ago that the Islamic plan to resume their aggression and began the final series of battles which would lead to a worldwide caliphate based on Sharia Law. This follows about 150 years of cooperation by the Wahhab family and the House of Saud. The Wahhab family created the Wahhab version of Salafist Islam as demonstrated by the Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas, Al Qaeda and a few other extremist terrorist groups.

Obama via his father and stepfather would be well versed in this plan as evidence by his support for the Muslim Brotherhood, al Qaeda, and Hamas in the Middle East. Just in case he did not learn about hatred for the US and Western Civilization from Barry Sr, & Lolo, his maternal grandparents, mother, and mentor Frank M Davis were Communists.

Radical Islam is the rightful heir to the Fascist/Nazi philosophy and practices, mainly in their master religion beliefs comparable to the master race beliefs of the Nazis. The Muslim Arabs allied themselves with Hitler and the Nazis during WWII and the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Hussein, was Hitler's guest in Berlin during WWII. Hussein raised 3 SS divisions from among the Muslim Arabs to fight along side the Nazi SS.

Radical Islam is the rightful heir of the Communist philosophy and practices. Their economic policies and their desire for world domination being two of the commonalities. The Soviets provided the Muslim Arabs with their needs after Hitler could no longer do so and Russia continued the funding and supplying after the Evil Empire collapsed. Muslims also laid claim to the Evil Empire.

Aug. 22 2012 02:36 PM

You got me anna...comical and pseudo-academic is actually what I aim for with my online handle.

I just figure it's so much better than the unintellectual, angry, and often unintelligible style that so many others seem to aim for here.

Aug. 22 2012 02:28 PM

BTW meathead,

You write:

"You made the opening comment in the section, taking a shot about the "usual Islamic apologists", before any other comment was made or the guests even started speaking."

That's right. That's my observation. An opinion without invective TOWARDS ANOTHER COMMENTOR on the blog, as per the rules.

What you should have done was rebut my comment. Cite, for example, the times that Brian invited Robert Spencer, Raymond Ibrahim, Andy McCarthy, Steve Emerson, etc. The answer is NEVER. Instead, we get the usual defenders of islamists, or those who claim there's a moderate muslim institution in the mideast.

Essentially, i complemented Brian. i do that when its warranted.

But there are many ways to rebut me. If you can. give it a try.

Aug. 22 2012 02:25 PM

@gary

I think you only proved my argument with your response.

I didn't respond to your arguments because truthfully I don't see any genuine, well-thought out arguments of substance meriting a response. I think nonsense counters itself effectively. Your very opening comment, calling out Islamic apologists before the discussion even started, is very transparent to start an argument and label those who would disagree with you a certain way.

Day in and day out you clutter these spaces with propaganda and BS you presumably pull off the internet or some opinion talk show.

If you can't make your arguments without resorting to childish name calling, well, people are gonna read something out of that.

What really puzzles me is why you continue. You seem to relish more in escalating arguments here then in participating in any sort of genuine dialogue of the BL show. I'm not sure if you just like to hear your own monologues, or if you come here to prove yourself right about all your perceptions of the Left. You seem to think this abnormal behavior on the internet somehow makes you a more courageous person.

I used quotes for your comments, and the list is comprehensive [and could be longer], so i don't see why you're referencing a "straw man" argument. (And yes, it's called a "straw man", not "strawment", mr student). What's especially funny is you have something of a history of using them.

Aug. 22 2012 02:17 PM
anna from new york

In other words, Meatwnuc behaves the way some policemen behave in the past - when Jews, for example, complaint about harassment, they would locked up the Jewish victims and provide a detailed justification.

Aug. 22 2012 02:17 PM

@BL Producer

I think we have a violator of your rules for posting.

Meathead's post at <Aug. 22 2012 01:30 PM> is the longest comment than any other, at 2233 characters.

When I posted comments that long, you had removed them from the blog.

I think you should be consistent and apply the rules uniformely, without prejudice.

Aug. 22 2012 02:16 PM
anna from new york

Yes, Meatwnuc is comical - he responds to a response, totally ignoring the original comments (when they support his ideology, even then they are blatantly bigoted like in your case), and does it in an absurd pretentious pseudo-academic style. I experienced this yesterday.

Aug. 22 2012 02:10 PM

Dear MEATHEAD

Yes, my philosophy is RECIPROCATE!!

When you constantly call me a fascist, I will call you an islamofascist.

I will resort to that which you can understand. intelligent argument is not something you can understand, so I accomodate to you your level.

Very similar to what we must do with Islamist supremacists. Theirs is a culture of death, martredom, and submission to a hateful (to non-muslims) dogma.

We must deal with them in the only way they understand, and the only way they deal with others----abusively and unceremoneously.

Take YOU----Meathead----for example. You are quiet and do not respond to my arguments of substance. Then when Tahir flames me and provokes my temper, THEN you reply. To my arguments? No. You take the opportunity to criticize my uncharacteristic----but warranted----abusive response.

You are a coward. you cite things I never uttered (that's called "strawment", mr teacher), then knock them. Why dont you try something new: Read my arguments and reply to my arguments. Not what you hear from other conservatives.

Aug. 22 2012 01:53 PM

@Edward:

I would also presume you were interested in his time at Harvard getting a law degree, since most employers, etc are most interested in the highest level of education.

That aside, I presume since you have such interest in Obama's college records, you're also very interested in Romney's tax returns, since there actually exists a historic precedent for candidates providing these.

Aug. 22 2012 01:47 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

It would be interesting to see Obamas Colmubia transcript. What courses did he take. What grades?

Aug. 22 2012 01:31 PM

Gary, it's very interesting how you seem so capable of playing both the instigator and victim without even recognizing the paradox in it. You are right that the moderators seem painfully absent; but is it really possible that you don't see yourself as one of the worst offenders on this site?

You made the opening comment in the section, taking a shot about the "usual Islamic apologists", before any other comment was made or the guests even started speaking. You cry victim about people have using the labels of "bigots" and "racists" in here, but you see no problem with grouping anyone who argues from one side of this topic as "apologists". We all know that implicit in the label "apologist" is an admission of guilt on the part of the arguer, and then asking for understanding regardless of that guilt. (Even though that was not the original meaning of the word). I would say your use of the word 'apologist' is as provocative as the words 'bigot' and 'racist'.

You then move on to the tired BS story-line of searching for Obama's Islamic ties. 4 years have been spent by people trying to claim Obama is a secret Muslim. Then there's the Birther movement. Forgive critical thinking people for dismissing the likes of Donald Trump and those who would share a room with him as 'conspiracy theorists', but a spade is a spade. (Or to use Ryan's role model Rand's term: A is A).

Let's move on though to some of the language used in your other comments to various writers:

"Ok dummy?"

"you are an anti american lefty" - what I really liked about this one was your context in the sentence: "if you think i'm a 'bigot', then you are an anti american lefty who should move to the mid east". Surely you realize that's a logical fallacy. With an 'if/then' statement you are saying A proves B. Surely you recognize on re-reading your statement that A did not prove B here. Also the add on of "should move to the middle east" is...I'll use the word 'telling'. Do you think suggesting someone should move to the Middle East based on them expressing their opinion that you're a bigot, has in any way prejudicial undertones?

"you people are ignorant and naive".

"you stupid mutt!" - seriously? You the moderator to come in and get rid of those hateful words "racist" and "bigot", and you don't see the issue with ending your comments: "you stupid mutt!".

"Your pea brain muslim brian cannot make intelligent arguments" - oops, I think you might have just proven the racist, bigot accusations...

"You are as stupid or brainwashed as...[other commenter's name]

By all means BL moderator, please, moderate! Gary welcomes your moderation, so he can stop being the victim of such hurtful words and loaded descriptions!

Aug. 22 2012 01:30 PM

@Laila from New York

Edward Said and Noam Chomsky were the ideologues Obama emersed himself in while in college. they are anti hedgemonic america haters and that may be why Obama has refused to release his college papers. He knows it's anti american clap trap sure to lose him the elections

Aug. 22 2012 01:24 PM

@Laila from New York

You are as stupid or brainwashed as Tahir.

Dhimmi status isn't "protection." It's oppression and exploitation, the same way apartheid SA was. In effect, the muslim majority says to the non-muslim that if they do not wish to convert to islam, then they will not be killed, so long as they pay a special tax (Jiza) and agree to little or no civil rights. In other words, they must agree to severe abuse and hardships.

And contrary to your claim, the US never participated in colonialism and support of the ottoman empire. We dealt with them and other nations as sovereigns, and nothing more.

What you fail to accept is that the emergence of islamism since the 1970s doesnt respect personal freedom, freedom of conscience, or any liberties we take for granted. And what that means is that the hateful islamist ideology that the UK and other nations supported in the 20th century was worse than the US support for autocrats in the region.

So pick an ideology and defend it. Dont just carp about what other nations did to deal with the backward hole (or the "gap" as Thomas Barnett calls it) called the mideast

Aug. 22 2012 01:19 PM
anna from new york

Yes, this Taher illustrates well how the left vocabulary is used by all sorts of dark forces. Here we have a case of Islamist dressed as some leftist. Neo-Nazis do the same.
Complicated.

Aug. 22 2012 01:11 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

There needs to be a separation of Mosque and State.

Take religion out of politics. Then the Arab world has a chance. Otherwise it is doomed from within.

Demote the ayatollahs and imams to mere religion figures.

Aug. 22 2012 01:07 PM
anna from new york

"The most important point in M.E. politics is the Palestinian/Israeli conflict."
No, Layla, it isn't. This what charming "internationalists" want us to believe.
Sorry, Layla, but I stopped here. I am not in a mood to read again the paid propaganda. I know that the pockets of Middle East oil "charmers" are bottom less, my time, however, is limited. Bye.
dr anna

Aug. 22 2012 01:03 PM

@Tahir

And you sir, judging from your name and your vapid politics, are an ISLAMIC FASCIST, or "Islamist supremacist."

Your pea brain muslim brian cannot make intelligent arguments. just name calling.

Again, your ideal system is Iran or Saudi Arabia, so please take you and your family, who are likely on public assistance, and go there.

Why live in a nation so evil you cannot attribute one good thing it has done, let alone stand taller than the hole in the wall failed culture that spawned you?

Aug. 22 2012 12:59 PM
anna from new york

Edward, I'll be brief.
- I am a proud Social-Democrat
- the Left (and anything else) isn't monolithic
- it's wrong to call Hitler a Socialist
- the name often is misleading, e.g. Soviet-DEMOCRATIC Republics, Palestine (check etymology)
- there was an occasional collaboration of far-right and far-left in the past
- there is a significant collaboration (and general confusion) of some weird (no interest in economic conditions of regular people) left, far right and Islamism now
- the far/pseudo left tends to be corrupt, supported by this or that "charmer."
Frankly, I don't know exactly who finances all these "anarchists" "lovers of Palestinians only" etc. "internationalists" (still Russia? Iran, Saudis, etc., many more?)
- any comparison of fascism with Zionism is despicable and has an ugly history - yes this is a place where neo-Nazism, the ugly pseudo-left (the former SU was known for the promotion of the UN Declaration) and Islamism meet

Aug. 22 2012 12:58 PM
Laila from New York

The most important point in M.E. politics is the Palestinian/Israeli conflict. Mr. Lewis‘s whole life has been dedicated to the support of Israel and the denigration of Arab civilization, portraying it as backward and resolutely anti-western, and even, as he said on the program, anti-Christian, contrary to all objective and documented facts. The Islamic religion mandated (dhimi status) the protection of and respect for the “People of the Book” (i.e. Jews and Christians) while the Christian West was persecuting their fellow Jews through the Inquisition, expulsions, pogroms and finally the holocaust, for a “final solution” . Prof. Lewis seems to have amnesia about all these historical facts. One may think this is due to his advanced age, but he has consistently marketed the “clash of civilizations” and therefore fathered the current Islamophobia.
Both he and Mr. Ajami are confirmed neo-cons who have supported the Iraq invasion, although it seems that they are now trying to backtrack and make unsupported claims that they did not. They never condemned the war, either before, during or after as far as one can determine through published data.
Mr. Lewis, while doubting the concept of “freedom” in the mind of Arabs and Moslems, did not find it strange that it was the West (Britain and France first, then the US later) that conspired against Arab freedom through the colonial regimes that they imposed on the M.E. people after promising them independence from the Ottomans. Later, they imposed or supported various potentates to rule over them for the last sixty years or so, depriving the people of this freedom and thus creating their hostility.
Mr. Lewis may still fool some people in this country, but intellectually he is a great failure despite his scholarly knowledge, that he misdirected for ideological reasons. As for Mr. Ajami, he is a lightweight intellectual who learned that for him to succeed he had to seduce Israel’s supporters in this country such as Mr. Lewis and the American Enterprise Institute. Although he might think otherwise, intellectually he is a dwarf compared to the intellectual giant who was the late Edward Said, who masterfully debunked Mr. Lewis’ neocolonial propaganda decades ago in his landmark book “Orientalism.

Aug. 22 2012 12:46 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Taher from Croton on Hudson

"Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights
Yes in your worldview American foreign policy and global corporate rape had nothing to do with that."

- The 8 year Iraq/Iran war were due to American foreign policy?
- Saddaam Husseins use of poison gas, a WMD, on the Kurds of Halabja were Americans fault?
- Saddaams invasion of Kuwait was Americas fault?
- Sunni/Shiite blood baths are Americas fault?
- Death of 20,000 in Syria are Americas fault?
- British "Asian" bombing of London transport system on 7/7/05 was Americas fault?
- Current day slavery in Sudan is Americas fault?
- New nuclear war between Pakistan and India, a dispute over ownership of land, is Americas fault?

Taher, You have to stop blaming others and take responsibility for your problems.

Aug. 22 2012 12:45 PM
anna from new york

People, people, people, this Taher guy seems to be a Muslim apologist/antisemite who uses "international" sloganeering for cover.

Aug. 22 2012 12:43 PM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Aug. 22 2012 12:34 PM

@Anna from new york

Let me see if i understand this:

you are "uncomfortable" when Edward utters the word "socialist", despite you having admitted to being a proud socialist.

Yet you are not uncomfortable when Tahir calls me a racist and a nazi----neither of which I am, let alone proud that I am?!

Yet more proof to me that the values of the left are skewered.

Aug. 22 2012 12:20 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

anna, The nazis called themselves National SOCIALISTS. The use of the word Socialist wan't a mistake.

The NSDAP, National SOCIALIST Deutch/German Arbeit/Workers Party.

The 1939 Non-Aggression pact between Socialist Stalin and Socialist Hitler
Treaty of Non-Aggression between Germany and the Soviet Union

anna, I hope that one day you strip the "social/socialist" prefix. Just Democrat or Republican.

Aug. 22 2012 12:18 PM

H - E - L - L - O, BL Producer:

My question is still on the table. Being labelled a racist is the worst epithet one can be called these days. Yet you do not even warn people who use that term---usually against conservatives----let alone remove such hateful posts on your blog.

Please clarify your policy on language that can and cannot be used.

Aug. 22 2012 12:11 PM
anna from new york

Edward, I am uncomfortable with your use and abuse of the words "socialism" "socialists." I happen to be a Social-Democrat (the only one in this land?)
and I think that one can find other words when describing Hitler which might be more accurate.

Aug. 22 2012 12:04 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Here is a link to a Youtube showing the "Grand Mufti" of Jerusalem meeting Socialist hitler.

1941 The Grand Mufti meets Hitler

Today, history repeats, and Socialists embrace Islamists, with common goals.

Aug. 22 2012 11:58 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Robert from NYC

"Riverdale Brian? You mean The Bronx."

It's like some trying to distance "Hudson Heights" from Washington Heights because the Bronx/Washington Heights have a negative connotation.

Aug. 22 2012 11:54 AM

just saying, since jgarbuz decided to go off-topic, (the topic is 100 years of Middle East history, not 230...):

In 1786 Thomas Jefferson and Morocco's Sultan Mohammed III signed the Moroccan-American Treaty of Friendship, which stands as the U.S.'s oldest unbroken friendship treaty with a foreign power. In 1787 Morocco had been one of the first nations to recognize the United States.

Were there incidents between the U.S. and Morocco and other Barbary states that demanded an American response? Yes. Were there also incidents in our history, oh, with say England, Spain, Germany, or Japan that also demanded an American response? Yes.

Aug. 22 2012 11:54 AM
gary from gary

Anna is right, Taher. The Muslims in the mid east allied themselves with the nazi's final solution againt the jews, you stupid mutt!

Aug. 22 2012 11:52 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Taher from Croton on Hudson

"gary from queens, you are a narrow minded bigot who has no idea that the world and the Muslim world is moving beyond America’s rapacious imperialism..."

to Islamist, Al Qada, Muslim Brotherhood rapacious imperialism.

- 9/11
- 1993 truck bombing of the World Trade Center
- 7/7/05 bombing of London transport system
- 8 year Iraq/Iran war
- Sunni/Shiite blood baths
- death of 20,000 in your Assad klan family dictatorship of Syria (where are the "anti-war" activists to demonstrate over the deaths of 20,000 people?
- Current day slavery in Sudan
- genocidal threats by the Islamist president of the Islam Republic of Iran
- Iraqs invasion of Kuwait which triggered the Gulf War
- $100 per barrel oil and $4 per gallon gas
- Fort Hood massacre
- Bombing of Pan Am 103
- Invasion of Lebanon by Hezbollah

Aug. 22 2012 11:50 AM

HEY TAHER:

Let me see if I understand this.

Muslims are literally crucifying Christians in Egypt today----the nation we gave $40 billion to in the last 20 yrs. The nation we built into the largest army in the region. The nation which Obama gave $2 billion last week, against Congressional resolution and despite the Muslim Brotherhood having turned the nation into a totalitarian sharia state.

Yet the US is condemned for making Muslim women remove their loose head and neck wear to avoid getting accidently strangled when riding a roller coaster!?

And I'm the Nazi ??!!!! Look in the mirror

Aug. 22 2012 11:48 AM

@Leo

Obama classified the shooting at the Sikh temple qualifies as "terrorism." But the Ft. Hood massacre and the murder of a soldier at an Army recruiting center do not.

This inconsistency demonstrates that this administration is consistent about one thing: allowing political correctness to dictate how it deals with Islamic terrorism.

And you think I'm the one with an unhealthy obsession?!

Aug. 22 2012 11:45 AM

@Taher from Croton on Hudson

You resort to ad hominem hate speech. pathetic.

@BL producer:

is it permitted to all conservatives "racist" or "bigots" and jews who defend israel as "zionist nazis" etc?!

Aug. 22 2012 11:44 AM
anna from new york

Yes, Taher,
And "Muslim world" is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo charming? And absolutely non-imperialistic. Sure.
Nothing changes. In 1939-45, "internationalists" didn't support the war against the Nazi Germany because the US "was an imperialistic power."
Now, again, ONLY the US is problematic. Oh corrupt morons.

Aug. 22 2012 11:41 AM

@Taher from Croton on Hudson

if you think i'm a "bigot", then you are an anti american lefty who should move to the mid east, where you find life superior.

OK? Is that the language you understand?

This is the "civil blog" where conservatives are called racist and bigot. liberal hate speech is permitted here. this is why you people are ignorant and naive.

Aug. 22 2012 11:40 AM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

gary from queens, thanks for your concerns.
Your neo-Nazi caring is touching.

Aug. 22 2012 11:39 AM

Leo

My posts explain my concern. read them. comprehend them.

the concern is for the survival of the US as we know it. Obama is affecting that and THAT is the basis for what you call "obsession". trust me, once he's retired from politics, the obsession will be gone.

OK doc?

Aug. 22 2012 11:31 AM

addressing Edward's statement:

"Obama is running for re-election and the electorate will base its decision on Obama's RECORD OF ACHIEVEMENT over the last 3.5 years".

Then judge him on his record of achievement. I think what Leo was addressing was the habit on the Right [as demonstrated by Gary below] to favor discussing conspiracies rather than reality. This "Obama's a Muslim" BS, the whole Birther movement, Obama the Nazi socialist comparisons, etc etc.

There are a lot of valid policy arguments on the Right side of the spectrum, unfortunately they're drowned out by all the nonsense.

Aug. 22 2012 11:31 AM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

Aug. 22 2012 11:29 AM
gary from queens

Huma Abedin could not have received clearance to classified material as she has now, if she was vetted in the normal way. THAT is the allegation and THAT is the reason those congressmembers inquired into the vetting of her.

OK Dummy?

Aug. 22 2012 11:28 AM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

Mr. Ajami is a neo-con. Iraq now is not liberated but rather a sliced and diced country with thousands of war dead. Please cut the BS Fouad your nothing but a self serving careerist.

Aug. 22 2012 11:25 AM
Robert from NYC

Riverdale Brian? You mean The Bronx.

Aug. 22 2012 11:24 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Thomas Jefferson in 1885 asked the same question of a representative of the Barbary states that were capturing US ships and enslaving their crews, why were the Muslim pirate states of North AFrica taking American ships, when America was a new secular nation, not a specifically Christian nation, and wanted nothing but good relations and trade. He was informed that it was the duty of Muslims to subdue non-Muslims and to force them to pay tribute. That was when Jefferson decided that war with the Barbary states was inevitable, and pressed Congress to build up the US Navy and went to war with the Barbary state in 1801.

Aug. 22 2012 11:24 AM
Seth Pecksniff

Nothing proves a wacko more than going after Huma Abedin. There's got to be a better argument than attacking a loyal American like her.

Aug. 22 2012 11:24 AM
Leo from Queens

Ed: you got to stop budding into other people's conversations.
You don't understand what Obama has done for Israel and the limitations of a U.S. president to direct a whole host of nations and people to act in the way that certain radical Zionists want them to act.

Aug. 22 2012 11:23 AM
Tom Pinch

"...people's worth are measured by their ethnic origins." -- that's just not true. talk about making stuff up. weird.

Aug. 22 2012 11:22 AM
John A

Bernard Lewis:
The kind of guest that got me started listening to the Lehrer show in 2001-2002. People of this weight are welcomed. Perhaps a moral philosopher every month or so?

Aug. 22 2012 11:21 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Leo from Queens, You seem to be unaware that Obama is running for re-election and the electorate will base its decision on Obamas record of achievement over the last 3.5 years.

Aug. 22 2012 11:15 AM
Leo from Queens

Gary from Queens: Why are you so obsessed with Obama? do you think he has been part of a 100 year conspiracy to establish a caliphate in the US?
Those types of obsessions are not healthy.

Aug. 22 2012 11:11 AM
gary from queens

Your guests are a refreshing change from the usual Islamist apologists.

Obama comes from an upbring in which his mentor was a famous communist, and his college professors were promoters of the anti hegemonic (ugly american) philosophy in which the US is 100% bad.

THAT is why obama wasted 2 years with futile outreach to Iran, and continues it with domestic stealth jihadists like CAIR and ISNA.

We are confronted with an enemy whose values are (a) inseparably linked to its religion and culture (as opposed to conventional state interests) and (b) said values are totally in conflict with our ideals and culture.

The reason liberals are put off by the above facts is because modern liberalism teaches that all cultures are of equal worth. It's a subset of multiculturalism and identity politics----in which people's worth are measured by their ethnic origins. Contrary to ML King's preference for one's individual character.

I always recommend people read Andrew McCarthy's work at PJmedia and NRO. He's a former US Attorney and someone who has taken a serious study of this for over 20 years.

Start with this speech he gave the other week at Center for Security Policy. A 1 hour talk with 40 min of questions from the national Press Club.

He provided new details about the Obama Administration's alleged ties to the Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamist groups. The details, including new information about Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's aide Huma Abedin.

Aug. 22 2012 10:50 AM