Westchester Affordable Housing Response

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino responds to criticism from the Department of Housing and Urban Development over the fair housing settlement, and comments on the latest news concerning the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Rob Astorino

Westchester Resident from New York

I inherit a coop apt. in Westchester and it took me 4 years, 10 rejected buyers to unload this unit. I called Mr.Astorino's office about my issue since I had over 175 1 bedroom units within a 10 mile ratios on the market near this unit. I did everything to promote, advertise this unit. Mr. Astorinos office failed me when I address the fact that Suffolk County passed a law addressing that when coops rejected buyers they need to give a reason. I called, wrote, try to reach his Chief of Staff...no response. I contact EVERY legislator in Weschester on this issue...How can you have more affordable housing when you have empty coops, condos all over Westchester where residents can't sell them. How about promoting more marketable cities like Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle where there is a lot of housing stock which is empty.

Aug. 22 2012 10:08 PM
james from manhattan

Westchester County, like New York City, has rent stabilization. Rent stabilization is always overlooked as an effective provision of thousands of units of affordable housing. Rent stabilization provides more affordable rental housing then any other housing program in existence. Every tenant that rents a stabilized unit is effectively receiving a rent subsidy from the government as their rent is effectively hedged against market increases and keeps rent artificially well below the market which makes it is inherently affordable Any community that provides rent stabilization should be left alone by the state and federal governments as they are already delivering hundreds and thousands of units of affordable housing.

Aug. 22 2012 12:10 PM

"Natural market forces?" Mr. Astorino chooses an interesting way to blow credibility.

Aug. 22 2012 11:52 AM
Jeff Pappas from Dumbo

Re Tappan Zeek Bridge,

Its my understanding that the old bridge would be taken down ! ?
Why not have it support a train and or Bus lane, at least keep it up for bikes , walking and a great open park; Kinda like the High Rail in NYC west side
Just think of the $ you would save by not taking it down.
We need more public Transportation and Public Space.

Thanks

Aug. 22 2012 11:48 AM
Tom Pinch

David, you've assumed some large stretches:

section 8 = drug, unemployment, or criminal justice issues.
i'm a landlord = into my home.

You may be anecdotally correct, but these relationships are not proven Facts. I'm sure there are a lot of section 8 folks who are none of these things. And, if you are a landlord, it is Not your home. You live somewhere else, not in their apartments.

A couple of big stretches, so it's impossible for us to take you seriously. I'm just saying.

Aug. 22 2012 11:48 AM
david from 127th street, harlem

i'm a landlord in harlem. i don't accept section 8, and have every prospective tenant screened by the broker. why would i invite people who have drug, unemployment, or criminal justice issues into my home? what is the difference with westchester county? just give the federal money back asap.

Aug. 22 2012 10:31 AM