Exit Interview: Stu Loeser

Friday, August 17, 2012

For almost eight years, Stu Loeser has helped shape Mayor Bloomberg's media presence, and served as spokesperson for the administration. As he prepares to leave his job, he discusses the Bloomberg legislative record, media strategy, and his role.

Stu Loeser

Taher from Croton on Hudson

The mayor is nothing but an arrogant, egomaniacal billionaire. The city/ country loves being ruled by plutocrats.

Aug. 17 2012 11:35 AM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

@ Darcy
"Don't expect any challenges from Brian, I guess the days of him being an unbiased presenter of the news of the day are gone. hopefully callers will."

Unfortunately you are 100% correct

Aug. 17 2012 11:30 AM
RL

Unfortunately, Stu did not answer the woman's question about Bloomberg's "tin ear". He just gave an answer, but it was not to her question.

This has turned into one of the most vacuous segments in BL history. Maybe I should have expected that from a PR guy, but it would have been nice to hear about His experiences in his job. We wanted to hear Him talk, but it was all just Bloomberg's mouth. good bye.

Aug. 17 2012 11:29 AM
khadija from Brooklyn

I love U Bloomy. One of the things (amongst other serious advice that my late Dad instilled in me: do not lie; do not cheat). Bloomy can't be bought, and to the great dismay of many, he does not "buy" anyone. You go, Mayor of NYC, my City. Heart. khadija

Aug. 17 2012 11:28 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

I like many of the Mr. Bloomberg's proposals, but I think he tends to be quite autocratic. I do not consider him the mayor now because of the way he inserted himself into the last election, which I believe was illegal.

He also needs to learn to stop saying "ways..." all the time. Bad English!

Aug. 17 2012 11:28 AM
Leo from Queens

The mayor's ONLY accomplishment I agree with and which will leave a positive influence is the 1 Million Trees initiative. The only thing is that this is being driven by Bett Middler.
Unfortunately, Bloomberg has surrounded himself by political operatives for the past 12 years who are there for the ride to grandeur on the private jet of a multi billionaire. Therefore there has been no real changes/improvements to city government or any positive legacy that Bloomberg will leave, other than the beautiful trees being planted by Bett Middler.

Aug. 17 2012 11:27 AM
Amy from Manhattan

It may seem trivial, but it bugs the hell out of me. Why does Mayor Bloomberg think “ways” is the singular? He doesn't just say “anyways,” which is common in slang--he actually says things like “Public transit is the best ways to get around the city.” I was worried that when he got a 3rd term, he'd try to change all the “ONE WAY” signs to say “ONE WAYS”!

Aug. 17 2012 11:27 AM
Jesse from Brooklyn

Please ask him about the surveillance and detentions during the RNC convention in 08. That left a lot of us with deep resentment. What the hell happened there?

Aug. 17 2012 11:26 AM
Darcy from Manhattan

Aug. 17 2012 11:24 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

"If it's hot then don't sit on it" Classic Bloomberg polemic against Park Slope style over-parenting. Brilliant.

It's a shame that his term term dictatorship will destroy his legacy.

Aug. 17 2012 11:23 AM

I never got made fun of my English, so I love and respect Bloomberg’s attempt to Spanish, which is really good!

Aug. 17 2012 11:22 AM
Bobby G from East Village

I have my disagreements with the Mayor, but one of his greatest achievements in the investment he has made in the greatest municipal water system in the entire country.

Aug. 17 2012 11:21 AM
Yosif from Manhattan

I like the Mayors views except for Stop and Frisk. He is dead wrong on this issue.

Aug. 17 2012 11:19 AM
Leo from Queens

Brian: You need to challenge Stu on the 'improvements' in Education. What is being perpetrated against 100's of thousands of kids by the dept of Education in the past 11 years is the same as what was done by Enron. This is about creative accounting and cooking the numbers to give the perception that things have improved. The results are just as disastrous, a bankrupt, dysfunctional educational system. And I don't know which is the worse tragedy: having 10's of thousands of 50 year olds losing their retirement savings and left with nothing or having 100's of thousands of teenagers(mostly of color) being left without a proper education to function in this economic system. That is a huge tragedy for which Bloomberg and his yes men are not being held to account.

Aug. 17 2012 11:18 AM
Bobby G from East Village

A 15 year-old was arrested for shooting four teens in Brownsville. Mayor Bloomberg's campaign against illegal gun traffickers and their suppliers is so rational that it should be supported by everybody including the NRA.

Aug. 17 2012 11:17 AM

As a an immigrant who came here very young, I can assure you that my skills in reading and math were much higher than those of my classmates. If it became at all difficult, it was only the first year while I was learning the language. This guy forgets that the US has the least competitive K-12 academic system and is trying to blame immigrants with the reason why NY has such bad scored. I will just laugh about it while I hear it.

Aug. 17 2012 11:13 AM
Leo from queens

Michael DD - EXCELLENT questions!.

I would also add to your 3rd question the donations given to non-profits who depend on the City and which have been silenced to not challenge other Bloomberg policies regarding education, housing, economic development, etc.

Another major issue that has not been addressed is the corruption at the Dept of Buildings and the lack of accountability, oversight and inspections where now we have thousands of properties that have been structurally damaged; 100's of deaths on construction sites in the past 10 years; and the shoddy work being done on new construction - especially in the outer boroughs and the total disregard for human life, private property rights and money laundering in NYC real estate.

Aug. 17 2012 11:10 AM
Susan from nyc

Napoleon Bonaparte Bloomberg's legacy is clear: anti-democratic nanny state, pandering to the rich and developers at the expense of everyone else. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Aug. 17 2012 11:10 AM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

I'm sure he will have a lot of unbiased objective opinions about Dictator Bloomberg and his legacy and this segment won't be an utter waste of air time...

pffffft!!!

Aug. 17 2012 11:09 AM
Leo from Queens

can you ask your guest to give his view as to whether Mr. Bloomberg is too isolated from reality and doesn't have a real grasp of what most New Yorkers - whether poor, middle class or professional or working class - and thus makes decisions based on what is filtered by the "YES" men/women he has surrounded himself with. Does Bloomberg have anyone that questions his decisions or provides him a view of reality?

Though he might have good intentions, his decisions have been based on arrogance and to promote his own legacy and the interests of the leeches (opportunists) who surround him.

Aug. 17 2012 11:05 AM
RL

Please ask Stu why Bloomberg ran out of steam in the third term and whether 3 terms is a mistake; and, ask him how Bloomberg feels that NYC is back to where it was before he took office (NYC is no different than if Bloomberg had never been mayor). Schools are no better, infracture is still falling apart, subways are as dirty as ever, and crime is rising back to the old days. This morning while waiting on my subway platform, a guy was sitting on the cement next to me, shooting up, seriously. Does Bloomberg worry about his legacy being non-existant???

Aug. 17 2012 10:51 AM
Michael D. D. White from Brooklyn Heights

Three things I would ask Mr. Loesor about:

1.) Bloomberg's colossal conflicts of interest, two of them being:
a.) Sale of Bloomberg terminals to nearly every huge company that does business with the city.
b.) The Bloomberg amdministartion’s approval of the variances for Vornado’s Pennsylvania hotel site. Vornado is landlord for Bloomberg, LP. Henry Stern wrote about how City Planning was apparently instructed from on high to step down and not do its job on this one.

(Remember that since entering politics Bloomberg’s personal wealth soared astronomically.)

2.) Bloomberg’s multiple repeated failures in successfully administering computer contracts (like City Time), theoretically the area of Bloomberg’s personal business expertise.

3.) Bloomberg’s handing out of massive amount of “charity” and political donations (including to Bill Thompson’s wife’s charity) to influence debate and feedback about his administration and, among other things, to force through the specially tailored City Charter changes that gave him his third term.

Aug. 17 2012 10:40 AM