Backstory: For-Profit Colleges

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Village Voice contributor Chris Parker looks at the multibillion dollar world of for-profit colleges on today’s first Backstory segment. A number of for-profit colleges have been known to charge premium rates for a questionable education. Parker's article "For-Profit Colleges Only a Con Man Could Love" appears in the August 1 issue of the Village Voice.

Chris Parker
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Bob

"Real" colleges/universities are bad enough!! Why go to the fake ones.

Aug. 16 2012 03:27 PM
Doug from Manhattan

As a graduate from one of the colleges in this article, I have to defend what this school has done for me and my career. This school gave me a good basic start, the teachers provided me a very good and encouraging learning experience and the rest was up to me, like 90%. I expected the school to give me the foundation and discipline that would help me in my later career and it did and by no means do I expect them to get me a job and they didn't. To use students like one of the examples who have serious problems to start with and condemn the school, the faculty and negatively generalize the students it produced is like blaming the race for the actions of a criminal which it belongs to or give the impression that a rogue cop is typical of his department's conduct. This is the usual stuff I expect from the Village Voice, the ultra-leftist rag that shows it's contempt for capitalism, corporations and law and order, so no surprise here and an interview from the leftist WNYC, ditto.

Aug. 16 2012 02:54 PM
Concerned from NJ

Parker's segment was highly overgeneralized; apparently he didn't do much research into who's regionally accredited and who isn't.

Aug. 16 2012 01:48 PM
Danielle Jensen

Does your guest know the amount of student debt defaulted on? This story sounds like another way greedy wall street has found to rip off citizens with the backing of pro-business politicians. A story aired on tv about this and highlighted how the financial aid counselors mislead thestudents about their federal loan debt. I say shut this schools down or regulate them.

Aug. 16 2012 01:39 PM
James I Schempp from Long Island

I work in higher education, dealing with transfer credits accepted into a major local private institution.

While I agree with the speaker in general about for-profit schools, I must point out that to be fair, the University of Phoenix is Regionally Accredited (the desired standard) and credits from Phoenix transfer to my institution with no problem.

For the record, I work at New York Institute of Technology, but would rather not have that made public in this forum.

Aug. 16 2012 01:35 PM
cee cee from nj

It is SO rare that the Village Voice prints anything of value (other than listings,an occasional Nat Hentoff and restaurant reviews)..however KUDOS for this well done overview of the vile shams perpetrated by these "institutions"!

Aug. 16 2012 01:33 PM
Bob from NYC

If I take a loan for a car or a house and cannot pay it back, bank confiscate them. If I take a loan for an education, and cannot pay it, because i don't have a proper job in profession I was trained, why bank confiscate my education. giving me a loan in certain market condition was a poor decision on their part, wasn't it?

Aug. 16 2012 01:29 PM
Carlos from Manhattan

Not only do for-profit colleges charge top dollar for a questionable education, but they compound the problem by increasing tuition charges soon after a student enrolls. I used to teach and market one.

Aug. 16 2012 01:25 PM