Open Phones: First Impressions

Monday, August 13, 2012

What did you or your house guest think of New York City when you first arrived or visited? Listeners call-in to relate what first impression of NYC they remember.

Amy from Manhattan

Or: By not giving them chairs, American stores help keep their cashiers from being too sedentary! That's why the French are so much fatter than, um, Americans? Wait....

Aug. 13 2012 12:40 PM
Mark

I remember coming into New York on the West Side Highway going past so many crazy graffiti murals and just marveling out how everything was covered in dirt and graffiti. Nothing could avoid the paintpens of graf writers, hip-hop was still cool, you still had to go and actually interact with people to buy mixtapes and music, not just download it off some Ukranian website. Good times. Too bad that's pretty much over now and NYC hip-hop culture is being replaced by the generic "indie" culture that you can find in pretty much any medium size city or college town in America. Oh well, I'll be in the Bay Area by the time Obama's second term ends, at least out there the billionaires are all geeks who deserve it not pampered Yale bankers and trustfund dropouts.

Aug. 13 2012 12:02 PM
Mary from Hoboken

Brian - for as long as I can remember cashiers in Ireland (and probably GB) sit on high stools all day long. I feel so sorry for the supermarket workers who have to stand all day - and customers have to bag their own purchases. My visitors go shopping to the city with a backpack and come home without bags or packaging - they leave it all at the store. They also think our receipts are way too long - we are so wastful without even knowing it!!

Aug. 13 2012 12:01 PM
Bo

I AM SO TIRED OF HEARING HOW "RUDE" NEW YORKERS ARE!!! New Yorkers are among the most helpful people I have ever encountered. Brian you repeat the story even after one of the callers commented on how nice people were. We're busy, of course, but all you need to do is look a little lost and I will bet you $25 some NATIVE NYER WILL STEP UP AND ASK IF YOU NEED HELP.

Aug. 13 2012 11:58 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

The first thing my Aunt noticed was how salty the prepared food was and the amount of litter on the streets.

Aug. 13 2012 11:56 AM
Xtina from E. Village

My out of town guest always say the same thing as Becky's - they expect New Yorkers to be rude and are shocked how polite we are.

Aug. 13 2012 11:56 AM
Deborah

My visitors from Canada couldn't believe how far everyone commutes here - from the suburbs into the city to work.

Aug. 13 2012 11:56 AM

I still don't get tipping and I'm from around here! When did 20% become the standard? Why do some servers think that I will tip on the sales tax? Do you tip on the bottle of wine, too? Why would I do that? Yes, I'm a cheapskate but don't want to be taken advantage of either.

Aug. 13 2012 11:55 AM
The Truth from Becky

My friends from the South were surprised that the people were not as RUDE as they had heard!

Aug. 13 2012 11:53 AM
amalgam from NYC by day, NJ by night

It's true about how cheap food is in the United States. Of course, we do pay for it indirectly in a big time way, just not at the counter or cash register.

How to Slap Big Ag Apologists in the Face with Economic Truth

Aug. 13 2012 11:52 AM
Marie Gentile from Bellerose, NY

My visitors to NYC -- from the U.K. -- almost without exception ALL say:

- New York is a lot friendler and cleaner than they expected it to be.
- Things are considerably cheaper than they expected.
- New York is a lot "greener" -- that is they are surprised by the amount of trees and greenery around.

Aug. 13 2012 11:48 AM
Thadeaus Umpster from BedStuy

My guests from Puerto Rico were astounded by both the amount of waste (stuff that New Yorkers leave on the curb nightly,) and how many police there are everywhere.

Aug. 13 2012 11:47 AM
Erika from Brooklyn

My French friend thinks it’s odd that American’s ask for the “Bathroom”. In French you would not call a room a Bathroom unless it has a bath tub. They think it’s funny that Americans will not say “toilet” in public.

Aug. 13 2012 11:46 AM