Guest Picks: Jenny Brown

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Jenny Brown, founder of the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary, has strong, passionate opinions about animal welfare. She shares some of her opinions about what to read and listen to.

What have you read or seen over the past year (book, play, film, etc…) that moved or surprised you?

Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows by Melanie Joy, Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer, and Change of Heart: What Psychology Can Teach Us About Social Change by Nick Cooney.

What are you listening to right now?

Atlas Sound, Belle & Sebastian, and Band of Horses.

What’s the last great book you read?

Peter Singer and Jim Mason’s The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter.

What’s one thing you’re a fan of that people might not expect?

The band Blue Oyster Cult (I’m a music junkie) and my love of interior decorating!

What’s your favorite comfort food?

Vegan lasagna!

Jenny Brown

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Motti Lerer

Dear Leonard Lopate,

I'm a sustainable member of WNYC for many years, and enthusiastic listener of your show. Today, I was appalled by the unprofessional interview of Julie Burstein, as she kept cutting and inserting her view against veganism while Jenny Brown while was expressing the mission of her book and its main aspects. I would appreciate if you would invite Jenny to your show while you will be the interview. I hope that next time you will be more critical in choosing your replacement.
Sincerely,
Motti Lerer

Aug. 08 2012 06:59 PM
Jim E from Cranford, NJ

I found the guest host's treatment of Jenny Brown to be flat out RUDE. As a carnivore myself I understand my desire for animal meat and others. But I respect Jenny's opinion about eating animals and it has a basis in theology and philosophy.

Why did the host treat her so rudely?? This is a belief she has. The host sure has her own belief about eating meat.

No offense when is Leonard coming back?

Aug. 08 2012 11:07 AM
Isaac from Brooklyn

Personally, I found this Jenny Brown to be offensive and radical, equating meat consumption to the level of genocide and slavery. I can't believe no one else had a problem with this amongst those leaving comments.

What alarms me is not that such an ignorant paradigm view of the world exist but that enough subscribe to it that it can be given a voice on a public radio station. Spend time talking to Rwandan genocide survivors about the way embassies rescued dogs of expats at the start of the slaughter instead of Rwandans or speak with anyone working to fight the modern day sex slave trade. Equating these tragedies with a natural, biological impulse and instinct to eat meat is just another way to demean victims and insult humanity. It also kills me that all of this discussion is such a luxury for the American rich where food and choices on what to eat are abundant.

My only problem with the interviewer was that she confronted Jenny Brown for the wrong reasons; over the issue of tolerance, which created a surreal moment of conflicts between two American liberal viewpoints - political correctness vs animal rights. Jenny Brown's immediate response was that she respects whatever the interviewer wants to do, when nothing she stated in the interview suggested it. It revealed my greatest problem with the American left, which is that most of it is just about passive aggression.

No wonder the left has lost the ability to solve pressing and real problems in the world, making it no better than the crazy right that it obsessively confronts.

Eat some meat and roll up your sleeves.

Aug. 08 2012 10:31 AM
Lisa from Long Island

The interviewer(I don't know her name) was really belligerent toward Jenny Brown. I was surprised because WNYC is not FoxNews. I don't see Jenny Brown's views to be radical. I don't think that you should slaughter animals and eat them. It's primitive and disgusting. I too hope that the world evolves enough that people embrace a plant based diet. btw...Albert Einstein, George Bernard Shaw, and I.B. Singer were all vegetarians.

Aug. 08 2012 09:53 AM
Dar Williams

I was very sad to hear the guest interviewer's condescending interrogation of Jenny Brown's perspective. Jenny Brown has a radical perspective,as she says so herself. So do many intelligent, passionate people.Would the interviewer ask any other activist to privilege the viewpoint of her opposition and almost sound like she was shuddering at the (not very exotic) philosophy Ms. Brown espouses? Ms. Brown did a great job, even doing what she was asked to do: after Ms. Brustein accused Ms. Brown of having a bias (instead of accepting that Ms. Brown has a strongly held belief) , she said it was time to change the subject. Ms. Brown rose to the occasion of discussing her childhood cancer. How shaming of the interviewer to make Ms. Brown conform to a more "polite" topic. I hope Ms. Brown knows that her compassion and clarity came shining through.

Aug. 07 2012 11:48 PM
Yvonne from Park Slope, Brooklyn

I wrote a lengthy comment but it disappeared and so this is a much shorter version.I am an off and on vegetarian who never avoided meat because of the killing of animals as I did not think I was morally superior to the lion or the tiger; I do not believe most of our meats are healthy for human consumption.

My first comment detailed why I, as a mostly vegetarian in the process of becoming fully vegetarian WITHOUT GRAINS, found the manner in which Jenny Brown was being interviewed frustrating as she was not allowed to finish her sentences when she tried to explain that one can have a healthy diet without meat. I am trying to avoid grain and cow dairy but do use quinoa which is thought of as a grain but is actually a seed and a complete protein.

Not being allowed grains or dairy or eggs need not be a reason to believe it is impossible to be healthy without meat!! I was very disappointed that Jenny Brown was stifled in what information she was allowed to say!!

Aug. 07 2012 04:05 PM
Sheri from Brooklyn, NY

If one has difficulty digesting grains there are many vegan cook books devoted to those special people. In doing a quick search, you'll find whatever you need to make a smooth transition to a cruelty-free diet and lifestyle. As vegans are 1 to 2% of the population, those individuals who must eat animal protein are probably 1% of that group.

Aug. 07 2012 02:44 PM