Adriana Trigiani's The Shoemaker's Wife

Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Adriana Trigiani talks about her novel, The Shoemaker’s Wife, a historical epic of love and family, war and loss, risk and destiny, inspired by the author's own family history in Italy and in America.

Adriana Trigiani

Rose from ohio

Have read most of her books but this one is my favorite . Both my father and my husbands mother immigrated from The Adriatic region of Italy. She along with a sister were raised in a convent. Came to settle in Mingo Junction ,Ohio. Would love to know how Ms. Trigiani came about using this town in her book. Thanks for the interview!

Mar. 02 2013 12:41 PM
gina ballinger from graz, austria

just a pleasure to listen to roseanne cash as interviewer! i appreciated the thoughtful questions and thoughtful listening on your part, roseanne cash : ) thank you! gina ballinger

Aug. 09 2012 04:17 AM
Berk from North Jersey

What happened, Glork, is they found someone who knows how to listen to a guest and ask actual questions, rather than simply offering presumptuous, ill-informed comments in the guise questions, a la Lenny Lopate. I think it's a refreshing change. Honestly, while I can occasionally enjoy Leonard's show, sometimes I'm truly embarrassed for him when he makes incredibly ignorant statements and assumptions (you can smell one coming when he says "But don't you think . . . " No Leonard, they don't think that. Why not let *them* tell you what they think). You can practically hear some of his guests cringing and rolling their eyes. So, yeah, maybe we can give Ms. Cash a shot at engaging guests. She seems to be doing a pretty good job so far, for someone who doesn't do this every day.

Aug. 08 2012 01:55 PM
Glork from Glen Ridge, NJ

This is the Leonard Lopate show? What happened?

Aug. 08 2012 01:45 PM
Dottie Sauchelli Balin from Long Island, New York

Fantastic interview with two of my fav's. I could listen to Adriana all day long. There is so much to know and her words are so inspiring. Love all of her books and I think that "The Shoemaker's Wife" is the best one yet! Looking forward to reading many more especially the last in the Valentine series. Also love Rosanne Cash, she did a wonderful job as an interviewer. Thanks

Aug. 08 2012 01:33 PM
gail from Brooklyn from Brooklyn

This show is an embarrassment and not on the level we expect. Maybe her books are great, maybe this doesn't work because the guest and the host know each other too well, but it's boring and shallow.

Aug. 08 2012 01:25 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

haven't heard the expression "cheap chinese lantern" in, well, forever.

Aug. 08 2012 01:25 PM
Sarah from UWS

Your guest's "name dropping" of her former teachers and librarians touched me very much.

Aug. 08 2012 01:19 PM
Toni from NYC

As Adri's sister I hear her talk all the time... :) I can't wait to hear Roseanne and Adri together! We'll be listening!

Aug. 08 2012 11:31 AM
Rosalie from Cohoes, NY

I've read all Adriana's books and I love this one the best so far. I'm almost done with the book and i don't want it to end. I feel like Adriana wrote this for me. I have heard a lot of these stories in my own family history. Especially about the family in Italy on the mountain and the early years in American. The meals/food. I just love it! Bella storia e la familia!

I'm so happy someone like Adriana is able to put these stories down on paper, it's such a pleasure to read.
milla gracia! a million thanks!

Aug. 07 2012 07:39 PM
Mary Howery

So far this is the best book I've ever read & I've read hundreds.

Aug. 07 2012 02:07 PM