The Big Data Election

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

laptop computers (Klein Photography/flickr)

Micah Sifry, co-founder of Tech President, discusses how the last election was all about social media, and this year's election is all about gathering data.

Micah Sifry
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Katie from Huntingon, NY

It's not just campaigns doing this. I'm a dog breeder--I health test my dogs yearly before breeding, I meet prospective buyers several times before placing my puppies, I show my dogs. Google bombards me with dog advertisements--puppy millers, designer dog (read mutts) ads and many dog ads that are offensive to me. I cannot get rid of them.

Aug. 07 2012 11:29 AM
The Truth from Becky

I think a $3.00 donation request is GENIUS!! Ever heard that pennies make dollars??

Aug. 07 2012 11:20 AM
Robert from NYC

It's not just Romney and Obama they all ask for $3. I get these emails all day long from just about every democrat running for just about every office in the country. I gave to a few and it hasn't stopped. You can unsubscribe from the email list. Check the very teeny tiny print at the very bottom of the page and click on unsubscribe. The mail I hate is the paper mail delivered by USPS. I don't want that crap it clogs up my small mailbox; the emails can be dealt with as I explained.

Aug. 07 2012 11:20 AM
Ellen from Williamsburgh

The request to donate $3 to Obama's campaign in order to combat massive money from Republican billionaires is maddening.

I have given to several candidates, but I have limited resources. Now I am getting phone calls asking for more. So I am deleting almost all requests due to complete mental exhaustion and frustration, because I do not have nealry enough money to right all the wrongs I would like to.

Aug. 07 2012 11:19 AM
The Truth from Becky

uhh hello Laurie, they don't know you personally, they don't know me either, they use our ZIP CODE!!!

Aug. 07 2012 11:18 AM
andy from manhattan

The Obama campaign has hit me up far too much for money this campaign for me to see their targeted marketing. They send too far too many emails in general. They are wearing me out with their hat in hand gestures.

I just wish they had spent more energy pursuing progressive policies rather than seeking money - if they had, they would have had my dollars and much stronger support without having to ask.

Aug. 07 2012 11:17 AM
Jessie Henshaw from way uptown

Do you think the ever growing use of power to gain power helps create a stable and generous world?

Aug. 07 2012 11:15 AM