The Influential Karl Rove

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Vanity Fair contributing editor Craig Unger traces Karl Rove’s influence on Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign through the money he has raised with a network of super-PACs and nonprofits—a figure approaching $1 billion—and through his allies in advisory positions on the campaign. His article “Boss Rove” appears in the September 2012 issues of the magazine. Craig Unger's book Boss Rove: Inside Karl Rove's Secret Kingdom of Power will be published by Scribner in September.

Craig Unger

bob

How ironic to listen to Craig Unger say that Fox News is the voicebox for Republicans while saying it on the Democratic equivalent WNYC. The host seems merely a cheerleader for whatever Unger says. At least she could challenge the notion that Don Siegelman was unfairly convicted when in the same week Siegelman apologized for his misdeeds prior to being sent back to prison. If Siegelman is innocent why is Richard Scrushy guilty? Leonard Lopate would never be this lame.

Aug. 08 2012 02:35 AM
ESP from NYC

Julie - Thanks for doing a great job hosting. You have a very affable and likable style. It's a pleasure listening to you.

Aug. 07 2012 10:30 PM
Jack Jackson from Central New Jersey

@Edward -

Your premises are unbounded and can, therefore, be both TRUE and FALSE:

-Deficit is up - In real numbers...sure. But as a percentage of existing debt, not nearly as much as under Bush. Where was the screaming when Bush and the GOP took us from $5T to $11T in debt?

-Unemployement is up - Measured against when? Use July, 2009 as a measure. I think you'll see that UE% is down. If the GOP would get behind the President's job pgm, UE% might have hit 8% by now.

Gas Price are up - If you measure against the post crash lows but not if you measure against prices when crude was $140/bbl. The Keystone Pipeline would have no effect on current prices since it could not have been finished by now. And if it ever is, much of the gasoline produced will go to China.

-NASA has been gutted. By the GOP during Bush's term. I believe in space exploration but clearly a 15% rate on capital gains means that something has to go.

You've drunk too much of the FoxNews Kool-Aid. Try reality.

Aug. 07 2012 01:34 PM
Jack Jackson

Edward from Washington Hts....

Aug. 07 2012 01:24 PM
Barbara Ruether from Manhattan

Karl Rove destroyed Don Siegelman and has been allowed to do so by powers in our Justice Department. How much hope can we have for anything where Karl Rove decides what will be or not be anytime, anywhere. The citizens are asleep about this evil conniving devil and we will pay as he brings into being the Republican U.S. Senate and House. It will not matter who is the president.

Aug. 07 2012 01:22 PM
John from Brooklyn

I found this piece to be unrelentingly partisan to the point of being difficult to listen to.

I'm okay with the idea that Craig Unger is a Democrat who dislikes Karl Rove. I'm okay with the idea that WNYC brings him on the show. But, I wish Julie Burstein had been a lot more neutral, perhaps to the point of challenging Unger on his beliefs and claims rather than saying things like "so what do the rest of us do (to combat them)?"

I'm a liberal Democrat, and I suspect that I will vote and contribute exactly the way Unger and Burstein will. But, I come to that place after considering both sides of the argument, and I would like to think that WNYC would help me in that regard as opposed to sounding like Air America redux. I take for granted that Brian Lehrer wears his left-wing politics on his sleeve, but I'm disappointed to see this approach creep into the 12-2p segment.

Aug. 07 2012 01:18 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Deficit is up.
Unemployment is up.
Gas prices are up - (Obama killed the Keystone pipeline project)
NASA has been gutted.

As the Clinton campaign slogan went...

"It's Time for a Change".

With luck Obama will be the next One-Term President.

Aug. 07 2012 01:14 PM
Vinny from Bellerose

All these years I have been outraged that Karl Rove continues to thrive like a cancer in our dying democracy. People like him work in the shadows in dismantleing the middle class and empowering only the wealthy. More amazing he has taught the working class to love him. He is blatantly immoral and a crook. Sadly he will never be brought to trial. Karl Rove is living proof that crime does pay.

Aug. 07 2012 12:52 PM
Jack Jackson from Central New Jersey

The cure is easy. Don't let the money influence your decision. Make up your own mind with as little influence from a campaign ad as possible ESPECIALLY if that campaign ad is telling you something negative about the other candidate. Lastly, realize that if your decision is to NOT VOTE because you see no or small difference between the choices, realize that your indifference was also Karl Rove's goal.

Aug. 07 2012 12:45 PM
Jack Jackson from Central New Jersey

Negative campaigning (most of it SuperPAC funded) has no purpose but to drive down voter turn out. This is Rove's strategy - keep down voters who are likely to vote for the other candidate. Real belief in democracy on display, right there.

Aug. 07 2012 12:37 PM
John from office

I remember the movie Ben, where he, the Rat, had a relationship with Willard, the film's protaganist. The song in the movie was BEN, sung by Michael Jackson.

Romney (Willard) is in a relationship with "Bi Bi" Ben from Israel.

Ben the two of usneed fear no more, you are what Iav been looking for.....

This is going to be a dangerious election year, the republicans are blinded by hate and are not for the national interest.

Aug. 07 2012 12:22 PM
Jack Jackson from Central New Jersey

Can somebody explain to me why Sheldon Adelson would allied himself with Rove, Koch Bros, etc? It strikes me as kinda stereotypical 'self-loathing Jew' behavior. Or am I just channeling too much of the old National Lampoon skit about the Nixon re-election from Radio Dinner?

Aug. 07 2012 12:14 PM