Dump the Bucket List

Monday, August 06, 2012

Carl Richards, certified financial planner, Bucks blogger at The New York Times and author of The Behavior Gap: Simple Ways to Stop Doing Dumb Things with Money, talks about his recent column suggesting that long-term goals add to unhappiness.

Carl Richards

John from NYC

Maybe you could expand this discussion with the Harvard Business School Professor Clayton Christensen who is author of the book "How Will You Measure Your Life?"
Please bring this guest back as well.

Aug. 06 2012 11:59 AM
james from nyc

Happiness is for people that live belove thier needs.

Misery is for people that live above thier means.

Aug. 06 2012 11:58 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

The general idea that life is going to get better is relatively recent, and most uniquely American idea. For thousands of years, most people were happy if they survived and did not have any expectations that the next generation would be any better off than the present. Then came industrialization, democracy, etc., and the notion of "progress" and by the 20th century westerners began to actually believe in the notion that things inexorably are moving towards some "better world." The recent slowdown in the western economies has begun to dampen that belief for most, except for the wealthiest few who don't have any such delusions about life.

Aug. 06 2012 11:57 AM
Inquisigal from Brooklyn

I think this is a fun convo - not a bummer at all!

I agree with your guest that there's got to be a fine line between one's aspirations, goal's, and list of things-to-do, and what is actually achievable given your actual life or lifestyle. Having goals actually does help - me, at least - save money toward things that I would like to do or see; as a younger adult, I was happy being self-indulgent all the time, but it didn't allow me to achieve goals that might cost more money - such as buying a house, traveling outside of the US, etc.

But, I support the notion that having more "achievable," enjoyable goals that are more based on who I really am, and how I live my life - is healthier for the mind and body than having extreme goals.

Aug. 06 2012 11:57 AM
Sarah

Everyone should definitely check out the new site Unbucket.com...it gets at exactly what Mr. Richards is talking about- living in the present rather than in constant worry/expectation and feeling bad about it.

Aug. 06 2012 11:51 AM
Erica P. from NJ (in exilium)

The guest's comment of "living one's life in expectation of something else" reminds me of the way some people spend so much time taking photographs that they experience their vacations, et cetera, "through the lens." I suppose it's somewhat less of an issue these days, since digital cameras have LCD displays that don't require one's eye right up against it, but it's still a worthwhile analogy.

Aug. 06 2012 11:49 AM
Mike from Midtown

Skydiving! Scares the heck out of me, would be a great fear to conquer, but I think I'll keep my feet planted.

Aug. 06 2012 11:46 AM