Open Phones: Is There A Doctor in the House?

Monday, July 30, 2012

The Association of American Medical Colleges estimates that in just 3 years, the United States will be more than 60,000 doctors short, according to the New York Times.

Listeners, do you hear this call? Are you in med school or thinking about it? Are you interested in fulfilling the need for general physicians or are you planning a career in a more lucrative specialty? Call 212-433-9692 or post here!

Dr Dave ores from Lower east side

It's all about housing. Rent. Offer subsidized housing for 1000 per month and a free office
To work in.... and GP's could live and
Work anywhere you want them.

Dr Dave ores. GP on lower east side .... I live AND work
In mutual not for profit housing.

Jul. 30 2012 12:08 PM
Anna from Manhattan

Wanted to comment in regards to the satisfaction/fulfillment question.
I'm in my 20s and work in Private Equity. Have been on and off Wall Street since graduating from college nearly a decade ago.

The happiest summer I ever spent was shadowing my Dad at the hospital and in his practice. He's a surgeon. Regardless of the fact that I personally didn't heal a single person in that summer, I was overwhelmed by the gratitude of the patients I "saw" with my Dad. People come to you at their most vulnerable and you are able -- with the grace of God -- to help them out.

I have been making 6 figures since I was 21 yrs old. (in Investment Banking). I work with people who are arrogant? clueless? crazy? enough to call themselves MDs (Managing Directors). I have never in all my time in banking felt anything close to the joy + purpose I'd felt when I was with my Dad (a real MD).

Why didn't I go to medical school?
Laziness, lack of focus. It's a shame... Wall Street was just easier + better paying + more convenient. A lot of brains being wasted in that business. And it's as much the fault of the "brains" as the business...

Anna
an-context@hotmail.com

Jul. 30 2012 12:04 PM
Betsy from NYC

Love this segment! Finally! Let's bring up the real issue here. I went to medical school in Cuba because it was FREE... Why is it that our country makes it so difficult for us to better ourselves!?!?!?? I'm sorry, but no one should have to go into debt $400,000 because they want to HELP their community! We need to seriously reevaluate the system we have in place here so that it is possible for people to achieve their career goals.

Jul. 30 2012 12:02 PM
Steve from NYC

The distribution of medical students entering specialties is primarily based on how much each pays. Until we decided that talking to and exmining patients is just as important as doing tests, surgeries, and other procedures, nothing will change.

Jul. 30 2012 12:02 PM
El from Upper East Side

I also chose Emergency Medicine. Along with the aforementioned reasons your caller gave, plus we get a lot per hour compared to most specialties, and the work week is 36 hrs per week for a full time job. Just being real.

Also, the debt is staggering. Going into a lower paid specialty is a privilege often reserved for people who were rich before medical school or somehow had their schooling paid for them.

Jul. 30 2012 11:58 AM
Robert from NYC

Let's hear it for Gastroenterologists who just got rid of my anal cancer cured along with an Oncologist and Radiologist.

Jul. 30 2012 11:57 AM
Becca from Bellmore

I'm currently an undergraduate student and I plan to take a few years off to save money for medical school, but I plan to specialize in neuroscience which I am attracted to because of the constantly developing technology and research. I've been doing an unpaid internship with a Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center and I am passionate about helping to better understand MS and other neurodegenerative disorders, which are fascinating on a scientific level and riveting on a personal level.

Jul. 30 2012 11:57 AM
John from NYC

Is there a correlation between the degree of government/insurance company oversight, regulation, etc. and the degree of satisfaction of the doctor?

Jul. 30 2012 11:52 AM
Bobby G from East Village

Dentists are like jewelers. I love my dentist.

Jul. 30 2012 11:52 AM
Jim

When I was an undergrad, students had access to a career advice software package. As a joke, I filled in the answers along the lines of "I want to work short hours", "I want to make a lot of money", "I want to be respected in my community", "I want to take frequent vacations", etc. The top two recommendations? Podiatry and Dermatology.

Jul. 30 2012 11:51 AM
gary from queens

Fewer doctors will yield an average increase in longevity in the US. Mortalities will decline. The reason is that iatrogenesis is the leading killer of people. Not disease.

Comparative Causes of Death
Annual Average in the US

* Adverse Drug Reactions ..100,000 to 140,000
* Automobile Accidents ..39,325
* Food Contamination ...9,100
* Boating Accidents ...2,064
* Household Cleaners .74
* Acute Pesticide Poisoning 12

Data on doctors' strikes in recent history in different countries support this contention. For example, the BMJ 2000;320:1561 ( 10 June ) stated that "doctors’ strike in Israel may be good for health." The 127-day strike put a severe economic strain on the funeral business in that country.

The dramatic decline in the death rate is prompting the burial association to ask the Government to approve an increase in doctors' pay. According to the newspaper the Jerusalem Sun, industrial action by doctors in Israel seems to be good for their patients' health. Death rates have dropped considerably in most of the country since physicians in public hospitals implemented a program of sanctions three months ago, according to a survey of burial societies.

"The number of funerals we have performed has fallen drastically," said Hananya Shahor, the veteran director of Jerusalem's Kehilat Yerushalayim burial society. "This month, there were only 93 funerals compared with 153 in May 1999, 133 in the same month in 1998, and 139 in May 1997," he said. The society handles 55% of all deaths in the Jerusalem metropolitan area. Last April, there were only 130 deaths compared with 150 or more in previous Aprils.

Meir Adler, manager of the Shamgar Funeral Parlour, which buries most other residents of Jerusalem, declared with much more certainty: "There definitely is a connection between the doctors' sanctions and fewer deaths. We saw the same thing in 1983 [when the Israel Medical Association applied sanctions for four and a half months]."
UNQUOTE

This all seems like a paradox. But it's a fact. On balance, allopathic medicine doesnt decrease mortalities overall. it shortens longevity.

Jul. 30 2012 11:08 AM