Open Phones: How Immigrants Are Watching the Olympics

Friday, July 27, 2012

From Indian air rifle champs to Hungarian water polo domination, immigrants in NYC are rooting for their home country athletes. We're joined by:

• Roopa Unnikrishnan, Indian New Yorker and air rifle gold medalist at the 1998 Commonwealth games, to discuss Abhinav Bindra, a shooter from India who is a favorite at the London games
  • Peter Felvegi, Hungarian New Yorker, water polo player and coach, to discuss Hungary's top-ranked water polo team.

Are you an immigrant New Yorker following an athlete from your home country? Give us a call at 212-433-9692 or post here!

→ More Olympics Coverage from WNYC: Revisit Our Olympic Hopefuls | Local Athlete Tracker | NYC 2012: What Could Have Been

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Sahadev from Queens

I am happy to share about Nepal.Our players are participating on Taekwondo, judo and swimming. Taekwodo and Judo are quite popular. I will watch it if time permits.We have not won any medal in Olympic history and I don't hope they will any but glad to see them marching in front of millions people.

Jul. 28 2012 09:26 PM
Jacob Ecker from Lake Charles LA USA

Ten meters is about 11 yards or 33 feet.

Jul. 28 2012 08:50 PM
Ana from Summit, NJ

Nery Brenes!!!!! Current 400m World Champion and hopefully will give Costa Rica its 5th Olympic medal! He has a great personal story as well.

Jul. 27 2012 02:44 PM
Graham Walker from Bronx

Brian, NYC men's field hockey teams play at Baker Field right there in Inwood. Walk over and watch them.

Jul. 27 2012 11:30 AM
MrD from nyc

Regarding the online streaming of the Olympics, you are required to have a cable TV subscription in order to view the content online, so it's NOT free. And the system does check your cable account, so you can get around it. Also, The opening ceremony will NOT be streamed live online. NBC has said they need to provide "context" to the ceremony (ie, have their announcers talk all over it.)

Jul. 27 2012 11:24 AM
KThomas from NJ

Please note NBC has an Olympics Soccer Channel -- on Fios it's channel 596 and on Directv it's 751 (don't know other channels)

The Brazil vs. Egypt match was being broadcast earlier today!

Jul. 27 2012 11:20 AM
Graham Walker from Bronx

Also, I'd like to see better coverage of the more obscure sports: kayaking, sailing, table tennis, sailing, rugby, fencing, and yes Modern Pentathlon.

Jul. 27 2012 11:17 AM
Maryun from Brooklyn

Brian! Can you say " To di werl"?
that's what the Jamaican team from the Sprint Factory is doing....taking Jamaica to the World!
I'm soo excited to Bolt, Blake , Asafa Powell and my friend from high school MICHAEL FRATER!!! (Go wolmer's!!)

Jul. 27 2012 11:16 AM
Chuck from Carroll Gardens

Competitive air rifle? I wish I'd known about that when I was eight years old. My trusty Daisy Red Ryder Cowboy Carbine and I would've at the least won a bronze.

Interesting guest, btw.

Jul. 27 2012 11:15 AM
Graham Walker from Bronx

And my own sport (in the past): British Men's Field Hockey Team

Jul. 27 2012 11:12 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

20/20 Cricket should be there, before softball.

Jul. 27 2012 11:09 AM
Tony from Tribeca

Every four years, we hear the complaint that the US media only concentrates on our athletes and ignores those from other countries. I've been to France, Germany, Italy and Spain during Olympics and their press does exactly the same with their own athletes.

Jul. 27 2012 11:08 AM