In March, the Brian Lehrer Show spoke to several NYC-area Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls as they competed for spots on Team USA. Catch up with them below as they prepare to take the world’s stage in London, and find out when you can watch them contend for the gold. And be sure to check out WNYC's full-blown Olympics tracker here.
Christina McHale of Englewood Cliffs, NJ takes the court for women’s singles tennis, which starts Saturday, July 28th.
Listen to Christina McHale's complete interview with Brian Lehrer:
John Orozco, from the Bronx, will compete in men’s gymnastics starting with the qualifications on Saturday, July 28th.
- Orozco has also earned a spot for the men’s team competition, which features the top eight countries based on the results of individuals in the qualification rounds, and takes place on Monday, July 30.
- Check out videos of Orozco competing and find out more about him on the USA Gymnastics website.
- His NBC Olympics bio is available here.
- Don't know your pommel horse from your horizontal bar? The Olympic Movement website offers a breakdown of artistic gymnastics events.
Listen to John Orozco's complete interview with Brian:
Nzingha Prescod, a student at Columbia University, will fence in both the individual and the team foil competitions.
Listen to Nzingha Prescod's complete interview with Brian:
Marcus Browne, the light heavyweight boxer from Staten Island, steps into the ring on Monday, July 30th.
- Browne offers updates and photos on his website.
- You can find out where he trains on his NBC bio.
- ESPN's Michael Woods writes about Browne on NYFightBlog.
Listen to Marcus Browne's complete interview with Brian:
Mark your calendars! The Paralympics start at the end of August
Donna Ponessa will ride in the para-equestrian grade 1B competition on Thursday, August 30th.
- Ponessa, who trains in Millbrook, NY, shares her story on her website, Donna's Destiny.
- The United States Para-Equestrian Association offers this profile.
Listen to Donna Ponessa's complete interview with Brian: