Remember Sally Ride

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Laura Helmuth, Slate science and health editor, formerly at Smithsonian magazine, talks about Sally Ride's place in history as the first American woman in space.

Laura Helmuth

Amy from Manhattan

Oops, I meant Rachel, not Becca. Sorry, both of you.

Jul. 25 2012 01:17 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Becca, the main problem w/pancreatic cancer is detection. It usually doesn't cause symptoms until it's already advanced, so it isn't detected until it's too late for treatment to work. That's why most people who have it die within months after it's diagnosed.

Jul. 24 2012 11:13 AM
Amy from Manhattan

I was shocked to hear Dr. Ride had died, & so young. She was 1 of my heroes. I remember toasting her 1st mission w/a glass of Space Shuttle Rose'. I wanted to be an astronaut long before then but didn't have good enough eyesight, so it was a great vicarious moment. And I admire her work getting girls into science.

Jul. 24 2012 10:56 AM
Rachel from Manhattan

Sally Ride was a brilliant space pioneer and an inspiration to me growing up in the 1980s. She was another person taken away from us too soon by pancreatic cancer, the most lethal of all cancers. We need more research into this devastating disease, so that someday a cure will be found.

Jul. 24 2012 10:52 AM
Becca from Bellmore

I am a rising senior studying neuropsychology and also systematic oppression of women by the institution of science both in the field itself and in American culture in general at Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts. Sally Ride has always been an inspiration for my work and I credit her with my success in my field. Thanks for doing this piece! Sally Ride has been important in my life and the lives of many other women in science and other typically male-dominated fields.

Jul. 24 2012 10:48 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I wish I could live to see the day that men can do something that only women can do right now, which is to bear their own children.

Jul. 24 2012 10:47 AM
fuva from harlemworld

How tragic that we could not know her as a gay trailblazer -- one of the many unknowns, historical and present...

Jul. 24 2012 10:46 AM
lcruz from brooklyn

61 ?, really, what was the caused of death.

Jul. 24 2012 10:45 AM
fuva from harlemworld

God bless her.

What's sexist about asking about the effects of space travel on female bodily functions?

Jul. 24 2012 10:41 AM
Leslie Mills

Our family had a small but significant relationship with Sally Ride through her Sally Ride Science Program. Our daughter participated in her Toy Challenge for 2 years through the Girl Scouts. She met her and was inspired. She is continuing her legacy by being a science major in college. We are very sad at her passing.

Jul. 24 2012 10:33 AM
Priya from Brooklyn

Today also happens to be the 115th Birthday of Amelia Earhart. See today's google doodle.

Jul. 24 2012 10:21 AM