Colorado Shooting Reaction

Friday, July 20, 2012

At least 12 people were killed and 50 injured when a masked gunman opened fire on moviegoers at a midnight premiere of the new Batman movie outside of Denver, Colorado. We take calls with your reaction, and talk to Dr. Michael Stone, forensic psychiatrist and professor of clinical psychiatry at Columbia University, about what he's looking for as the story develops.

→ Note: President Obama expected to address the shootings this morning. We will bring you those statements.

Aurora Shooting Resources: WNYC Coverage | Reaction on FB | Live Video from KUSA | Map of Shooting Area | Live NYT Updates | Google RealtimeReddit Crowdsourced Timeline

Dr. Michael Stone

Sheldon from Brooklyn

"Truth and Beauty"

You still haven't answered my question. What does my absolutely terrible spelling and grammar have to do with your "Muslims are not Jewish"?

You and Gary seem to be obsessed with "Israel," "Muslims", and "Islamists"

Jul. 20 2012 03:18 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

Sheldon from Brooklyn:

Sheldon from Brooklyn

Becky - ha, more of a typo. I always do that.

"Gary, outside of Jewish Amercians, I'm not too sure what you mean by "many." If saying Israel is an "ally" over and over, makes it true to you Gary, then I'm not going to rock your boat. I'm not Jewish, so I actually am a bit more objective."

See your last post and this one.

Also:

"I beleive in the right to bare arms Gary, I wish more business people had guns in NYC but unlike you or the mayor, I'm not going to exploit this tragedy to do so, until I know all the facts."

You have the right to bear arms, the right to bare arms and the right to bear bare arms.

Jul. 20 2012 02:59 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Sorry about that.. I am used to people using their REAL names I suppose.

It's not the easiest to type and spell check from a cell phone but I really appreciate your knack for being a pedant.

As for your third point, I respectfully have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Jul. 20 2012 02:20 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

Sheldon from Brooklyn,

1. I'm not Becky.

2. You misspelled believe also.

3. Not being Jewish doesn't necessarily make you objective. Muslims are not Jewish...

Jul. 20 2012 01:57 PM
Peter from Bklyn

What a great segment, although I wish Mike thought just a little faster on his feet ... and/but made it a little less of a "dialogue."

To wit - when the focus seemed to get to "media management," i.e., how the Obama people "manipulated" the media to stay on or near page 1 for a week or 2, like all good NYC liberals, I kinda wondered what planet the expert (and he WAS that) guest was living on. Fox rations 5 minutes a day to liberals, and genuinely devotes the 1/2 of its non-commercials time 99% to what would be criminal if we lived in a just society, i.e., slanted, biased use of the PUBLIC AIRWAVES.

No, this is NOT!! a rant - I wonder how many newspapers choose NOT to give those planted stories ANY space ... NOT because they have scruples about the fairness, certainly not because they think they're not newsworthy ... but because the publishers - and this IS TRUE - are among the folks who really WOULD feel pain if Obama gets re-elected and/or his "end the most recent round of tax breaks for the one percenters" were to go through.

We're spoiled in NY - a good newspaper, a fabulous P.R. station, smart people almost everywhere. But take a look at what passes for THE go-to newspaper in Cleveland did in the way of coverage of this "flap." Unless their readers hear Obama "on the stump" or are treated - along with the rest of us - to a steady diet of expensive Obama commercials, they'll never have to think about the issues Mike and his guest explored. Is it true? Is it fair? Is it relevant?

Obviously, I'd answer those 3 affirmatively, but this is no longer open to question - 90% of the "opinions" one hears or sees in newspapers, TV and radio are pro-Romney, one way or the other. (I'm talking nationally, of course.) ... And since that side has - this year - way deeper pockets than Obama has ... and since the Sup. Court has been bought and paid for, your guest's remarks - basically unchallenged - are pretty darn disingenuous!

As for Mike - PLEASE, Mike, find a new home. You're way too good to do 3-5 National "stringer" pieces each year and an equal number of days guest hosting. One of the top-10 NPR outlets could and would find a home for you if only you sent off 9 e-mails to their station managers!

Jul. 20 2012 01:40 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Becky - ha, more of a typo. I always do that.

Jul. 20 2012 01:28 PM
gary from queens

Becky:
the only emotional issues were among the liberal media desperate to concoct this as a racial killing.

Sheldon:
Israel is our closest ally---politically and economically. many americans live in israel with dual citizenship or have family there. they are in the forefront of islamid jihad, which is our war now too.

Sheldon:
Obama is silent when christians are mass murdered in Nigeria or Egypt or Suddan et. But when a mosque was ransacked in Israel, Obama condemns it. The Bulgarian incident was Obama's press secretary releasing a statement. not Obama personally making the statement.

More lives have been saved because a victim displayed a gun and thwarrted a robbery or other assault, than gun nuts killing wontonly

Jul. 20 2012 01:02 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

Sheldon from Brooklyn,

You keep misspelling Israel.

Jul. 20 2012 12:51 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

"islamist apologist?" yes Gary - go tell that to targets of all those drone strikes.

BTW, since you seem to think that Isreal is the 51st state of the USA, what did my prime minister Bibi say about the colorado shootings? Are there plans for a candlelight vigil to be held in Tel Aviv yet?

Jul. 20 2012 12:21 PM
The Truth from Becky

No matter what all you gun nuts say, there should be tighter gun laws because there are more crazies than not toting guns. There are people on this feed who can't control themselves verbally that I would not trust with a gun, not mentioning any names but just read the posts from Gary and the famous Martin, there a obviously some emotional issues there.

Jul. 20 2012 12:13 PM
gary from queens

Guys, Bloomberg has ALREADY weighed in on the gun control issue, before the bodies are cold. And you just wait and see. Obama or his supporters will follow soon enough.

And on the hypocricy, there has been news analysis showing how Obama makes a big deal about domestic shootings, like the trayvon case, but doesnt make a peep in many incidents where jihadists in the US are thwarted and apprehended.

He minimzes jihad because he's an islamist apologist. Why was he silent on the israeli killings?! Bush used to comment.

Jul. 20 2012 12:13 PM
dan from brooklyn from brooklyn

Sorry, my previous comment was in the context of the discussion with Dr. Stone about mass murderers in the last 100 years. My question is how many of the mass murderers in the past 100 years have been white people? And am I wrong in thinking that when people of color commit a crime they are almost always identified by race but when white people commit a crime it's much less likely that we'll be identified as being white?

Jul. 20 2012 12:10 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Well said RL, Obama did make a statement on Bulgaria

Gary and others seem to take offence that AMERICANS don't put the welfare of Isrealis above themselves.

Jul. 20 2012 12:04 PM
Mike from Tribeca

gary from queens -- You're absolutely right (pardon the pun): breitbart is an excellent source for superb journalism. For example, the other day one of their crack reporters e-mailed a journalist requesting why she has been photographed several times unprofessionally hugging a senator. Her reply: she and the senator are married. Who needs a simple Wikipedia search when you're the new I.F. Stone?

Jul. 20 2012 12:03 PM
Hanry from Manhattan

So, this type of violence (and general violence and crime) is committed by males.

So it’s easy, make it illegal for men to have guns. Women can still have guns if they want to uphold principals of the 2nd Amendment. Half an armed population should suffice. Also, women have more of a need to defend themselves against violent men.

I’m half kidding, but there’s a certain logic. Guns don’t kill people. Men with guns kill people.

Jul. 20 2012 12:02 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

You can't put them in protective detention, but you sure as hell can prevent selling them weapons. Gun sellers should have lists of mental patients as well as criminals. Maybe they should have staff psychiatrists also, so they screen at the time of potential purchase.

Jul. 20 2012 11:57 AM
RL

Gary, you are way off base. First, you don't know that Obama didn't have a statement about the Bulgaria incedent. MSM would not cover that, so you'd never hear it. And next, Obama's statement didn't say anything about guns. Also, Romney made a statement, so you're saying that this plays into Romney's gun control ambitions? Lastly, should we be waiting for the head of Isreal to make a statment about the Colorado shooting? Each leader is covered when he's talking about his own country. Gary, you've lost all credibility with your comment.

Jul. 20 2012 11:57 AM
dan from brooklyn from brooklyn

what is the racial breakdown of the mass murders? it's seems to be overwhelmingly white people. is that true?

Jul. 20 2012 11:57 AM
John A

I'd be interested in knowing how much Marijuana he did. There is a large halo around its use for his age group. Meanwhile, there is psychological damage going on.

Jul. 20 2012 11:57 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Gary - - can you have the decency to get all the facts and wait "for the other shoe to drop" before you start ranting about "Obama" and "gun control" ?

What type of grip does this president have on you guys? I mean - really, is Obama the first and last thing you think about every day?

Jul. 20 2012 11:56 AM
Mike from Tribeca

How does Romney pulling political ads from Colorado TV for a while have any effect on anything? It's the perfect metaphor for his shallow mindset and inane campaign.

Jul. 20 2012 11:51 AM
gary from queens

Yes, yes. "Life is fragile and we should love each other".

And of course he brings up his two daughters too----you know, the girls whom the media should lay off and give them privacy!

Tomorrow, the other shoe will drop----gun control.

oh wait, Bloomberg cant wait for tomorrow. meanwhile, his police cant stop street muggings.

Jul. 20 2012 11:51 AM
Gary from queens

Obama made an announcement about it, because it plays into his agenda of gun control.

He was silent the other day when a half dozen Israeli's were killed in a bomb attack in Bulgaria. The UN wouldnt even call it "terrorism":

UN Watch: United Nations Fails to Call Deadly Attack on Israelis in Bulgaria 'Terror'
by Breitbart News 19 Jul 2012, 5:24 AM

Jul. 20 2012 11:47 AM

American insanity cont.

Jul. 20 2012 11:02 AM
Amanda from Brooklyn

I was just wondering -- why use the term "gunman"? Can't you just say that a man opened fire? Does labeling him a "gunman" (all news outlets seem to be doing this) make the news go down easier, as if it were some special, non-human creature who did this, versus a fellow human being?

Jul. 20 2012 10:17 AM
Frank from Glendale, NY

Colorado does not have any gun registration laws:

Jul. 20 2012 10:12 AM