New York's Up-and-Down Employment Numbers

Friday, July 20, 2012

New York's unemployment rate went up last month, despite more jobs being added. Anjali Athavaley, New York economics reporter for The Wall Street Journal, looks at the theories behind the seemingly contradictory reports.

Anjali Athavaley

Vivek Gupta from New York

I think your complaints about Ms. Athavaley's voice are repulsive and really speak to internal biaes. Would you make the same comments if her name were a classic whitebread American name? No. What if she were a trans woman? Get over her voice and listen to what she has to say. Ms. Athavaley is a WSJ reporter and makes some interesting points in this segment. Grow up and stop criticizing this young woman's voice!

Jul. 21 2012 11:52 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

Alicia - well put. as speech patterns go, this could be considered "haute valley girl," and only because she can quote statistics.

Amy - so with you on that. i would never expect the WSJ (or the republican party) to count freelancers/self-employed as a significant part of the economy, but they need to wake up: many of us are now self-employed, doing what we did (or would have done) in salaried positions ten years prior. even NYS needs to change its litmi, because, according their standards, many who are freelancing/1099 status could be defined as "employees," but that battle is only won when the individual makes a case for the way the work was contracted and done. that you could collect unemployment following a freelance gig is fairly exceptional.

Jul. 20 2012 12:19 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I appreciate Mike's bringing up freelancing, but I was sorry to hear Ms. Athavaley pretty much dismiss it. It's more complex than that--I'm a freelancer, & 1 of my clients took me on part-time for a while. After that ended, I was eligible for unemployment, so I am part of those statistics. I can tell you that all sorts of bureaucracies, from labor depts. to health insurance providers, aren't very well set up to deal with freelancers. The default is that the people they deal with are employees of companies, & provisions for freelancers are tacked on. The result is that freelancers need to spend more time getting support staff to explain the workarounds, because the info on the website or in the voice menus doesn't apply to us. That default assumption also seems to apply to employment statistics, which ought to track freelancers, who are a significant part of the workforce. We (all, not just freelancers) need to know how freelancers fit into the picture.

Jul. 20 2012 11:01 AM
Alicia from Manhattan

I hate myself for saying this--what she said was quite intelligent--but you're right. I actually rushed to my computer just now to comment on her way of speaking. I think this is the first time I've heard an actual example of this new growling speech pattern. I had read about it--something about one of the Kardashians making it popular among young women. But as I've never knowingly seen or heard any of that K family, this is the first time I've heard an example. End-of-sentence drawl with growl. Go figure. Just as annoying as the Valley Girl end of sentence question.

Jul. 20 2012 10:47 AM
Greg from NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ

Anjali's voice is worse than fingernails on the blackboard! I change the station anytime she is on. Other young women that are adopting this voice style should reconsider.

Jul. 20 2012 10:46 AM
Larry from Canarsie

The Wall Street Journal? What-ever!

Jul. 20 2012 10:39 AM
jenny

This woman has serious vocal fry-someone please get her some help!!!

Jul. 20 2012 10:39 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

ditto, jay! good time to turn this down and get more coffee.

ms. athavaley - broadcast is not a chat on the phone with a friend!

Jul. 20 2012 10:39 AM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

What a god awful voice! Just awful! Tuning out right now!

Jul. 20 2012 10:38 AM
Jay F.

I can't listen to this woman's speech pattern.

Jul. 20 2012 10:34 AM