With Loss of Lin, Will Knicks Fans Defect to the Brooklyn Nets?

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Jeremy Lin (Chris Trotman/Getty)

The loss of Jeremy Lin could be a slam dunk for the Brooklyn Nets.

The Linderella story official came to a close late Tuesday when the Knicks refused to match the Houston Rockets’ $25 million point guard – a move that has some wondering whether crestfallen fans will change allegiances and become fans of their East River rival.

The Brooklyn Nets has grabbed many headlines in the off-season between the team’s debut and its new arena.

The premiere Nets blog featured a headline that screamed “Welcome Knicks Fans!” just after the Lin move was made official late Tuesday night:

“Knick fans, those who have finally gotten fed up with the ironically named J.D. and the Straight Shot should understand they are welcome in Brooklyn. And reading through comments on Knick fans, they're are a lot of them willing to jump ship."

The Harvard grad rose to fame when he was pulled off the bench in February and led the Knicks to a 99-92 win against the New Jersey Nets. He also reinvigorated fans, giving Knicks fans hope and infusing the team with Linsanity before a season-ending knee injury.

But the Nets had a dismal 22-44 record last year. The Knicks were 36-30.

Still, the Nets have spent about a third of $1 billion on their roster since July 1, according to ESPN. But the Knicks let go Jeremy Lin by failing to match $25 Houston Rockets bid.

The announcement did not come as a total surprise: the Knicks signed a deal for Portland Trail Blazer Raymond Felton, meaning the team’s roster was three deep at the point guard position.

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Kammy

Knicks are dumb, I meant Dolan is dumb. Lin is a are thing. Now as a Knicks fan I can sit back and watch Lin has an all star season with rockets. He will be an all star next season with rocket. It is a sure thing that he will have a 20 points and 10 assists season.

Melo will soon realize the fat point guard Felton will not take home anywhere and I am telling everyone now that the Knicks will suffer from that. Let's watch

Jul. 20 2012 07:48 PM
Jay from Brooklyn

The moves made this season by the Knicks have me shaking my head. The leagues is getting younger and more athletic and the Knicks added Kidd, Camby, and Kurt Thomas, 3 players well past thier prime. And to run the show they added a fat, out of shape Felton who basically ran the Portland team into the ground.

With so much money being thrown at 18 and 19 year olds with only one year of college ball under thier belts why not take a risk on Lin and pay him? The potential he displayed in those 20+ games for the Knicks was at least worthy of taking the chance.

As it is I'm now rooting for the Nets.

Jul. 18 2012 04:56 PM
kareem arnold from L.A

Where will the Nets finish in the standings?

Jul. 18 2012 02:26 PM
Matt from Bronx, NY

Die-hard Knicks fan who grew up in Brooklyn. This offseason (snub of Phil Jackson because he might be a test to Dolan's ego, handling of Jeremy Lin) was, sadly, the last straw. Until Dolan sells the team, I cannot support it. Hello, Brooklyn Nets.

Jul. 18 2012 02:00 PM
The Goat from Rucker Park

The Nets? Oh, you mean Fat Marty Markowitz, Rat Face Ratner and Jay-Z the Misogynist Pig's Taxpayer Boondogglers? Maybe they should be called the Destroyers. I think I'll just ignore 'em all. Unless Jason 40-Year Old Kidd is driving through my hood.

Jul. 18 2012 12:25 PM
Evan S. Cowit from New York, NY

I'm a Knicks fan. I think Dolan does his best to ruin the team. But Jeremy Lin is not worth the contract he got. He's played 25 games. I hate to lose him but, once Carmelo forced out D'Antoni, his value went down.

Jul. 18 2012 11:55 AM
Brian from Red Bank, NJ

This question is particularly hard for hoops fans in NJ. I grew up a Knicks-Nets hybrid fan when the Nets were in the ABA. I would stop rooting for the Knicks and switch to the Nets over the Lin thing if I hadn't just stopped rooting for the Nets and switched to Knicks over the Leaving Jersey thing. Oy vey.

Jul. 18 2012 11:52 AM