Is it Okay for Knicks Fans to Become Nets Fans?

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

This offseason, the new Brooklyn Nets have seemingly done everything right, while the Knicks have shot themselves in the foot. Will Leitch, founder of Deadspin and New York magazine sports contributor, discusses whether it's okay for New York fans to take their fandom across the East River.

Will Leitch

AG

The Knicks let the "stable" Landry Fields go because they want to replace him with the loose-cannon JR Smith. Why? Because the mal-content Carmelo Anthony is friends with JR Smith. Jeremy Lin and Landry Fields were good friends. Lin was getting too much publicity for Carmelo's liking... nor did he let him get enough isolation plays. Sad to see Lin go - but it's probably better for his career.

peterkfromNJ - there are more Chinese in NYC than Houston... by far... And NY is more internationally recognizable than Houston... so that wasn't the issue. Lin was already huge in China

Jul. 18 2012 05:57 PM
AG

Sheldon - Brooklyn by itself has a population bigger than every city except Chicago (almost the same) and LA. Not to mention many ex Brooklynites who live on Long Island and in NJ who will go to games... As long as the team is good - they will be more financially successful than they were in New Jersey just from a marketing stand point.

Jul. 18 2012 05:53 PM
peterk from NJ

I'm thinking that Lin left NY because he felt the pressure to be a star in NY would be enormous and he'd have a better situation in Houston. His main market for endorsements is not NY but China and he has a better chance for success in Houston that will make him more marketable overseas. I don't know what NY offered Lin but hey he's a Harvard grad so I suspect he has a realistic grasp on the financial and professional advantages of signing with the Rockets.

Jul. 18 2012 02:41 PM
nets nj from brooklyn

i wish them the same fate as the brookyln dodgers - go away nets and take your stickin' ugly arena - eminent domain - BS stadium with you.

Jul. 18 2012 01:16 PM
antonio from baySide

The only thing that is getting me through yet another Knick debacle,
is Jason Kidd.
Most triple doubles among active players. I don't know that as fact, but that's what Kidd brings, certainty...

Jul. 18 2012 12:03 PM
The Truth from Becky

Brooklynites will support!

Linsanity is non-sense, such "bandwagon" people

Jul. 18 2012 12:00 PM
fuva from harlemworld

And a BARCLAY'S center, created under eminent domain for private development? Really?

Jul. 18 2012 11:59 AM
Norman Oder from Brooklyn

Those Brooklyn Nets signs in stores that Brian mentioned.

The team *pays* for them.

Jul. 18 2012 11:59 AM
Evan S. Cowit

I'm a Knicks fan. I think James Dolan is doing his best to ruin the team. But they were right not to match the contract. Lin has played 25 games and, once Carmelo forced out D'Antoni, his value went down. I'll miss Lin but I'm just hoping Isiaih isn't coming back.

Jul. 18 2012 11:57 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

spike lee has been rather pointed about the fact that he is NOT leaving the knicks!

Jul. 18 2012 11:57 AM
The Truth from Becky

Uh Duh...spike lee is a knick fan for life!

Jul. 18 2012 11:57 AM
fuva from harlemworld

$25+million for an unproven commodity who couldn't finish the one season without getting hurt? Really?

Jul. 18 2012 11:55 AM
RL

Dolan makes Steinbrenner -in his bad old days- look like a saint. Do we have to wait till Dolan is 70 to win again?

Jul. 18 2012 11:53 AM

why do people care!

Jul. 18 2012 11:53 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

The Knicks, up unit a year ago, stunk up the joint, I like many a New Yorker, only started paying attention again, after the Carmelo trade. I didn't even know what channel they were on until the start of "Linsanity."

Nets have a chance but they have to start winning or else the Barclays centre will be better known for its concerts than its main resident.

Jul. 18 2012 11:33 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Branding the team as the "Brooklyn" as opposed to the the "New York" Nets, was a good thing but, it does make recruitment of fans from the other 4 boros a bit tricky.

Jul. 18 2012 11:33 AM
mr

This makes the choice for next season so simple for me, a transplant to this city from Detroit. I was completely riveted by Linsanity and work by the Garden and was ready to be a total Knicks fan for 2012-13 (except for maybe when they play the Pistons). But I also live in and love Brooklyn, and am so happy it's getting a team...

After this stupidity, I am going out at lunch to buy a Nets jersey.

Jul. 18 2012 11:14 AM