Open Phones: Advice Roulette

Friday, July 13, 2012

I'm a phone phone

Another installment of our regular feature: call in and ask a stranger for advice—as long as you give someone advice first. Give us a call at 212-433-9692!

Help answer two lingering questions for our callers:

+ How do you dispense of ivory that you feel guilty about owning?

+ What's a good family-friendly restaurant for an out-of-town visitor?

Post your thoughts below!

mpersik from Rockland County, NY

re:ivory disposal
it is good to bury it in your garden, it is a bone after all. that seems appropriate.

Dec. 31 2012 11:03 AM
Wendy from NJ

Max Brenner is awesome for children, and adults, too! 841 Broadway, NYC. The food here is crafty and decent, but it's truly the desserts that you go to this restaurant for. Outstanding, fun and creative are a few words to describe the presentation of these fabulous dishes. Oh yeah, and yummy,too. Chocolate is key here, and they don't hold back. Go Go Go and ave a blast!

Jul. 14 2012 08:34 PM
Melissa Wolf from Astoria, NY

For the question about a "Family Friendly Restaurant", if you're willing to leave the major tourist borough of Manhattan and have an experience in the boroughs, namely Queens, I can recommend, highly, Portobello Pizzeria and Italian Restaurant. Just to fully disclose myself I worked there taking delivery orders, etc. for three years and have just left that part-time job. However I have been eating there since they opened and the food is outstanding. They are used to people of all ages and have food for all budgets. They have nice round tables where 7 or 8 people can sit and they have a party room which you can book for 30 - 60 people. Check it out: www.portobellopizzeria.com By subway it's 20 minutes out of Manhattan and by car it's 10 minutes out of Manhattan. You'll also get to visit a wonderfully creative predominantly Greek neighborhood.

Jul. 14 2012 02:29 AM
CF in NJ

1. Blue Ribbon in Brooklyn is pleasant and family-friendly; there's also a Manhattan branch.

2. Since caller Kate is in Bernardsville, she might like Jersey-centric Head Race, by R. Lee Nathans (but Sherlock Holmes it's not).

Jul. 13 2012 12:57 PM

Love the Advice Roulette ... this one was really good!!!

re. - family friendly restaurant: - Esperanto (East Village/Avenue C near 11th St.) - colorful, fun and good food

re. - mystery novels: love Fred Vargas (French, very quirky characters, only three so far translated), also Tana French and Kate Atkinson, not just good mysteries but also are great writers - and those fun historical mysteries by Steven Saylor (set in ancient Rome...) - Going back to old classics is good advice though, I just re-read some old Dorothy Sayers and had a blast with Lord Peter Wimsey...

Jul. 13 2012 12:40 PM
Sarama from Jamaica, NY

I love elephants and have signed many petitions on their behalf. I own two beatiful ivory pieces which I no longer wear that were given to me as birthday presents, one by my father when I was 15 years old and one by a now- deceased friend) . I have thought about what to do with them and decided to donate them to a museum that has an ivory collection, where they may be enjoyed without further endangerment to those magnificent creatures.Incidentally If you care about elephants - and nature in general, read "The Elephant Whisperer". You won't be able to put it down! It is a slim book,but one that every human should read.

Jul. 13 2012 12:31 PM

The reason I never sold the ivory is because I did not wish to encourage people to view ivory as a commodity. Plus, I was afraid that it was illegal to sell it. (Glad to know it's not.)

I figure the more people are wearing ivory or owning ivory the more other people will want it for themselves.
I believe that what I own is worth about $200. I was thinking of burying it. But perhaps donating it to a museum is the way to go. Thanks to Barbara from Flemington for that suggestion.

Jul. 13 2012 12:22 PM
Karen V from Brooklyn

A don't miss family restaurant? Two Boots in Park Slope. The "boots" of Italy and Louisiana create a fine fusion cuisine, affordably priced. Don't miss the murals in the back room (think Leaning Tower of Pisa with alligators). Indoor, outdoor or garden room. Festive eclectic decor. And a window with steps so the little ones can watch the kitchen and receive a little pizza dough to play with. We have been using it as a family celebration place, or for brunch or dinner, for about 20 years.

Jul. 13 2012 12:13 PM

Mysteries:

Wikipedia has an excellent overview of mystery writing, from the Bible and Oedipus on through Wilkie Collins, Poe, Doyle, Chandler and much more. A rich trove to pick from.

And I do like this choice of Top Ten Classic Mystery Novels:

Jul. 13 2012 12:11 PM
Mike from Inwood

Family-friendly restaurants in Manhattan?

How old are the kids in the family? Ages 8-12 might like "Jekyll and Hyde" (212-989-7701, 91 7th Ave S). Touristy, but themed. Younger might like "S'MAC" (345 East 12th Street, 212-358-7912) a restaurant that serves many varieties of macaroni & cheese. Good for lunch, especially.

Jul. 13 2012 12:10 PM
sandra from the bronx

1. Family Friendly: Dean's Restaurant and Pizzeria http://deansnyc.com

2. Mystery Novel: Sherlock Holmes RULES!!! Great advice! : )

3. Ivory Disposal: Sadly, the elephants that gave their lives are already gone so it won't help THEM to dispose of the pieces. Join a anti-poaching group instead for ex http://www.soselephants.org or http://www.bloodyivory.org

4. Dog Poop: KEEP CALLING 311 or visit the local precinct directly. I noticed a decrease in my area after calling for the umpteeth time...the squeaky wheel works!!!

Great segment & great advice!!!

Jul. 13 2012 12:09 PM
patricia

Carmine's (off Times Square) is the best family friendly rest I've ever been to in my life.
Great family style dishes, nice upstairs room with big tables esp for families, friendly service and not expensive.
200 West 44th Street New York, NY 10036
(212) 221-3800

Jul. 13 2012 12:08 PM
Barbara Himber from Flemington, NJ

Mystery book - almost anything by P.D. James, try 'Original Sin', or anything by Peter Robinson
Disposing of ivory. Donate to a museum, they usually have some ivory in their collections.

Jul. 13 2012 12:05 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Any ivory bought from an existing owner is ivory that an additional elephant wasn't killed for. You can't do anything about the elephant your ivory pieces originally came from, but increasing the amount of "used" ivory on the market reduces the demand for new ivory.

I think I heard about an artist who makes new works out of old ivory. I don't remember the specifics, but you might be able to find out more on a web search.

Jul. 13 2012 12:04 PM
Ghan from Brooklyn

Family friendly restaurant: If you like meat, Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem. It's a big restaurant, the food is great. Your kids into mac and cheese? They have a great one.

Jul. 13 2012 12:04 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

angie - try the "cowgirl hall of fame" on hudson street in the west village. it's extremely family friendly, and will get you off the overly-beaten path many visitors take in midtown. there's a lively atmosphere, the cowgirl theme is cute, and the menu a something-for-everyone proposition. you'll be close enough to go for a walk on the hudson river afterward. check it out: http://cowgirlnyc.com/menu_dinner.html

enjoy your stay!

Jul. 13 2012 12:03 PM
Louise Easton from Madison, NJ

For the woman seeking a new mystery writer...try Benjamin Black, start with the first in his series, Christina Falls. Bvlack is the pen name of famous Irish writer, John Prendeville. His mystery series is wonderful in its Irishness of the Fifties....

Jul. 13 2012 12:02 PM
Mike from Inwood

I don't believe it is illegal to buy and sell ivory. It is illegal to import it, because that encourages the slaughter of wild animals. Can the sale of antique pianos be illegal because they have ivory keys? The elephant is already dead; enjoy the ivory and buy synthetic ivory going forweard.

Jul. 13 2012 12:01 PM
Rosalyn

Family Friendly restaurant in NYC

5 Napkin Burger. Crowded if not timed right, but locations around the city and they have great burgers, fries, etc. Perfect for kids.

Jul. 13 2012 12:01 PM
Morgan Paar from Manhattan

Ivory: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/fts/chattanooga_200804A10.html

Jul. 13 2012 12:00 PM
Isabel from NYC

Otto Enoteca! Batali's affordable option and absolutely family friendly. Large tables, delicious Italian fare, and located near both Washington Sq. Park and Union Sq., so there are options for strolling after stuffing yourself with pizza and pasta.

Jul. 13 2012 12:00 PM
Rachel from Manhattan

Family friendly restaurant
Lanza's on 1St ave about 12th St

Jul. 13 2012 11:59 AM
dorothy from Manhattan

Mysteries? You want mysteries?

How about the Maigret mysteries set in Paris (there are about 200), many available in English at NYPL.

Also the Peter Whimsey novels from Dorothy Sayers.

Jul. 13 2012 11:59 AM
Carl Jeanniton from Brooklyn

Hi Brian,

In regards to your caller (with the six year old) who is looking to get back into the workforce and reclaim her six figure salary, I propose an article on "Mentoring and creating a personal Board of Directors," from Harvard Business Review. Here's the link: http://hbr.org/product/baynote/an/11169-PDF-ENG?referral=00505

Good luck!
Carl

Jul. 13 2012 11:59 AM
Estelle

Mystery novels for Kate: The Emperor of Ocean Park, or The Alienist. Awesome!

Jul. 13 2012 11:58 AM
Jim from Ridgewood, NJ

This is a great segment Brian! How bout some more variety in the listener demographic pool though.

Jul. 13 2012 11:58 AM
Rose Unes from Brooklyn

Mystery novels? Karin Fossum or Henning Menkel

Jul. 13 2012 11:57 AM
Kate from Washington Heights

Brian your listeners are BRILLIANT.

Jul. 13 2012 11:55 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Brian, you need to listen to your own station's ads--oops, I mean underwriting announcements! I've heard ones for SummerStage & the River-to-River Festival, & probably others I can't think of.

Jul. 13 2012 11:51 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Dog poop?

Shoot the dog owners! (Hell, shoot ALL litterers on sight!)

Jul. 13 2012 11:50 AM
Robert from NYC

First they must repost the "Curb your dog (animal)" signs and get it to the curb and then we have to have the law to pick up after your animal enforced.

Jul. 13 2012 11:50 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Wise advice, Elizabeth!

Jul. 13 2012 11:49 AM
Robert from NYC

Brava Elizabeth, that was very touching.

Jul. 13 2012 11:48 AM
Richard from Brooklyn

After listening to the great discussion on healthcare I had to turn you off because of advise roulette. Please stop doing this segment. It goes nowhere and dims an otherwise brilliant show.

Jul. 13 2012 11:47 AM
oscar from ny

Whenever my parents or frens try to give me advise i just tell them...if i need advice i can just watch tv or listen to the radio...or read a book better yet..

Jul. 13 2012 11:15 AM