Monkey Mind: A Memoir of Anxiety

Monday, July 09, 2012

Daniel Smith, author of Monkey Mind: A Memoir of Anxiety, talks about his new book and his past struggles with crippling anxiety.

→ EVENT: Release party and reading | Wednesday, July 11, 7pm | BookCourt (163 Court St., Brooklyn)

→ EVENT: Reading and book signing | Thursday, July 12, 7pm | Book Revue (313 New York Ave., Huntington, Long Island)

THE SCRAPBOOK: Smith cites "Singin' in the Rain" as a calming influence during bouts of anxiety. Inspired by his example, here are some of listeners' favorite movies for anxious moments.

Daniel Smith

Sunshar from AZ - MS in SW

I note that comments were solicited via Facebook. I have a Facebook "anxiety" and will not join. WNYC is limiting themselves to a certain audience by limiting comments to Facebook. Same with your current Facebook project on activism. Perhaps you can keep open other options for comments and feedback.

Jul. 09 2012 12:05 PM
Calls'em from McLean, Va.

Tell your guest to stop worrying about "global warming;" it's cyclical and there's nothing he can do about it. Plus if it helps him, about 12 out of 13 scientists believe that man has no impact on such; and many prominent scientists have dropped out of that 13th group especially after learning that much of the fundamental research was manipulated. So your guest is relieved of any responsibility. Have him tell his kids and grand kids to buy land on an inland mountain in a state like Virginia or NC, just to be sure.

Jul. 09 2012 12:04 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Seriously, "live in the dark"? No one's suggesting that, but how hard is it to turn the light out as you leave each room (if no one else is in it)? There are a lot of things you can do about global climate upset & other problems, & learning about those measures & putting them into practice can be empowering, esp. if you get involved in activism. I don't understand the idea that doing something about a problem increases anxiety over that problem.

Jul. 09 2012 12:03 PM
Re: Laura from UWS

You can search the "SHOW ARCHIVE" calendar to the right of these comments for the day it aired. I believe it was last Friday, the 6th.

Jul. 09 2012 12:02 PM
Suzie

Yankee baseball games have soothed my anxiety as a child and continues today.

Jul. 09 2012 11:58 AM
s.a. from Brooklyn

It seems to me that the lack of a social safety net, and especially the crippling cost of healthcare, is an enormous source of anxiety in the USA. THis is not the case in other developed countries.

Jul. 09 2012 11:56 AM
Elle from Brooklyn

Meet Me in St. Louis!

Jul. 09 2012 11:56 AM
Alma from Forest Hills, NY

Ultimately, what saved me from crippling anxiety and monstrous panic attacks, was a therapist who helped me to dismantle the illusions of my thoughts. The self-defeating doom and gloom chatter in your brain becomes your "reality" and it you have no ability to look at your own thoughts with compassion and awareness. You're just a rat in a cage.
Now, when I catch "The Fear", I have the ability to throw it back by dismantling catastrophic chain of thinking. When I feel any panic coming on, I don't resist and tense up my whole body, I breathe and try to "ride the wave" and approach it with a sense of curiosity. I used to have marathon day-long panic attacks and I now have none to speak of. Life is very, very different now.

Jul. 09 2012 11:54 AM
Erica from BROOKLYN

Can you talk about anxiety and procrastination? Or as I like to call it "action paralysis"

Jul. 09 2012 11:54 AM
John A.

Connect the dots:
The most entertainment money currently goes to computer games.
The most popular computer games are shooters.
Soldiers returning from a life of shooting have anxiety disorder.

Jul. 09 2012 11:54 AM
pink sunshine from nyc

omg, anxiety...Israelis are living on anxiety. Living in Isr. and watching their TV and listening to their radio, it's all talk about wars and illness. you become hooked to it, and it sucks. i like how laid back some Amr. can be.

Jul. 09 2012 11:50 AM
Don Wgial from NYC

I think last night's THE NEWSROOM on HBo was right on-target concerning panic attacks. I have been there and had that. Obviously the shows' writers have been also. I wonder if it was the first time approach to cope with panic was presented so constructively.

Jul. 09 2012 11:47 AM
Kathy

When will the book be out in softcover?

Jul. 09 2012 11:46 AM
Laura from UWS

I missed the segment on how to turn off your brain for vacation. How do I find the archived version online? What search words? Thanks.

Jul. 09 2012 11:42 AM