The Fourth of July means changes for mass transit, trash collection and street cleaning. Here's what you should know if you're planning travel for today.
- Subways, MTA buses and the Staten Island Railway will operate on a Saturday schedule. There will be more frequent subway service on the C, the L , & and on the 1 & 3 trains.
- Staten Island Ferry service will be suspended on July 4 from 8 to 10 due to fireworks festivities. The last ferry leaves at 7:30 PM from both terminals. The last boat from both terminals will be at 7:30. The next boat from both terminals will be at 10:00. 30 minute service will be provided from 7:00 to 7:30.
- On Metro North & the LIRR regular Weekend Schedule will be in effect.
- NJ TRANSIT trains will operate on a Sunday schedule.
- NJ TRANSIT buses will operate on a Sunday schedule, but customers should check the holiday service box on their timetables for exact Independence Day service information.
- PATH will operate on a weekend schedule from midnight until about 6 p.m. At that time, additional service will be added as needed to accommodate riders attending the New York City fireworks celebration.
- Following the fireworks, the regularly scheduled 9:30 PM train from Hoboken will be held for 30 minutes (departing at 10 PM), providing everyone extra time to make the train.
- The Newark City Subway will operate on a Sunday schedule.
- Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will follow a special schedule, with enhanced service operating between 10 a.m. July 4 and 1 a.m. July 5.
- Weekend Family Supersaver Program continues all day.
- Alternate side parking is suspended. You do not have to pay the parking meter. No stopping, no standing and no parking regulations are suspended except where those regulations are in effect anytime or seven days a week.
Offices and Services
- Government offices, courts, and Department of Motor Vehicle offices are closed today for Independence Day. There is no mail delivery and all library branches are closed.
- There is no garbage or recycling collection. If Wednesday is your garbage day, put your garbage out after 5:00 PM tonight. If Wednesday is your recycling day, wait until next week to put your recycling out.