Mayim Bialik on Acting and Attachment Parenting

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Mayim Bialik may be known to many as the star of the 1990’s sitcom “Blossom.” She currently stars in the CBS sitcom "The Big Bang Theory." She'll discuss getting her Ph.D in neuroscience and her book Beyond the Sling: A Real-Life Guide to Raising Confident, Loving Children the Attachment Parenting Way.

Mayim Bialik

Joelle Shefts from Manhattan

I'm surprised at all the hostile responses. She seemed like a perfectly reasonable woman who has studied in her field. As to Attachment Theory and the like, in this interview she barely touched on it. Raising kids while being aware of some of the issues in Attachment Theory is not so much "privileged" as it is a privilege in that it's useful to all people of all incomes and backgrounds. There's a judge in family court who has experimented with offering classes based on the theory with mothers who are at risk of loosing their children (in some cases, this judge has seen the mothers of the mothers in the same courtroom). What they often find in class is that the mothers, who are usually very poor, and certainly not "privileged" WANT to understand why the baby is crying etc. and make excellent use of their new perspective. We can all learn. What's wrong with that?

Jul. 05 2012 12:51 PM
anna from new york

Tonero, of course she is arrogant and privileged.
She doesn't have any qualifications justifying this book. Personally, I tend to repeat that geeks shouldn't be allowed to vote, let alone raising children. The same goes for the entire Hollywood.
Everything is arrogant: "I am a celebrity so of course it's important what have to day about ... anything" and "I am a neuroscientist so of course I can say whatever I want about anything, and offer for example, my wise views on how to raise SOCIAL (help her understand this word, people) animals.
In reality, geeks, ignorant of history and societies staff Neo-Nazi camps and divert attention from societal needs. Again, they shouldn't be allowed to open their mouths. Let them babble at their conferences.
There thousands years of wise traditions, but such a bozo comes and announces herself ... too irritated to continue.

Jul. 04 2012 08:01 AM
Tonero Wiliams from Brooklyn, Park Slope

I find Mrs. Bialik tone privileged and arrogant.
It seems she believes her way is the only way
"intelligent" parents should raise their children.
She put me in a yuck mood....

Jul. 03 2012 03:26 PM
anna from new york

Misty, you're right. She's babbling to the her crown - overfed, overprivileged, overprimitive.

Jul. 03 2012 02:22 PM
anna from new york

Leonard, can't you find normal, decent, intelligent people instead of all these illiterate bozos?

Jul. 03 2012 02:18 PM
anna from new york

OK, I was right, of course. This .. is really, really, really mixed up together with idiotic New Age sloganeering (she isn't capable of saying anything which isn't a platitude), veganism, "holistic" whatever.
So, she is a person to preach about parenthood. Sure.

Jul. 03 2012 02:16 PM
anna from new york

This "Blossom" is repulsive and idiotic. Yes, we need more of this Hollywood/geekworld - not enough Neo-Nazi camps, New Age, etc.
Can someone please give this illiterate scientist/comedian a lesson of history and explain (slowly, slowly, slowly please) what happens to the world when "goodness" is mocked?
Nahman Bialik was Jewish. He is turning in his grave now.

Jul. 03 2012 01:55 PM
Misty

I would probably be classified as an AP parent; we even practiced elimination communication. But labeling a parenting style (Attachment Parenting, Baby Wearing, Free Range Parenting) is immediately off-putting to me. It comes across as very exclusionary, for one; and the parents who would respond to this probably don't need anyone to tell them to focus on their kids. Meanwhile, I am guessing there are millions of under-served families who would benefit a lot more from some moral support and current information on child brain development, few of whom would ever run across this book, and who would be put off by the title even if they did.
But if the point is to sell books to other upper-middle-class, privileged parents, well, I guess this hits the mark.

Jul. 03 2012 11:18 AM