Informal, Unofficial, Thoroughly Unscientific Exit Poll: NY Federal Races

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Voting Booth (Mortimer62/flickr)

Today is New York's primary for federal offices—President, senators, and representatives. Voters, let us know which candidates you support and why. Give us a call at 212-433-WNYC/9692 or post here!

→ Voting Day Resources: Guide from The Empire | Find Your (New) District | Candidate Interviews | Full Coverage

Edward

Any New Yorker, especially a person of color, who votes for Charlie Barron is a fool.

Charlie Barron has been endorsed by david duke, who has a history of being a kkk klansman and a nazi.

That's the kkk Charlie Barron. Has Charlie Barron rejected the klansmans endorsement??? NO.

You can judge people by what they say and do AND by who their friends are.

As for my CD, I heard both Clyde Williams and Espillat speak at a debate.

Espillat actually said that the reason kids are not learning in school is because money is going to fund the war in Afghanistan and Iraq.

If that claim were true then test scores would have dropped precipitously after September 2001 nation-wide, following a constant rise prior to 9/11. That is not the case.

Clyde Williams, who has been endorsed by Bill Clinton will get my vote.

Jun. 26 2012 12:24 PM
Lea from Bushwick

As a registered Independent, of course I can't vote in NY primaries. But I would have voted for Nydia Velasquez, and I really hope she wins!

Jun. 26 2012 11:49 AM
Joan Rubenstein from Somers, NY

I am so disillusioned---Brian eliminated my candidate, Matt Alexander, when announcing the list for the 18th district (and included one who had dropped out long ago). I am the most loyal WNYC listener and member in Somers (in my humble opinion) and hope you will mention Matt Alexander"s name once more before the end of the program today. Thanks so much.

Jun. 26 2012 11:40 AM
Stephen from Harlem

I voted this morning for Espaillat. Not only was I troubled by the ethical charges brought against Charles Rangel (to be benefiting from Harlem real estate deals when the community is struggling to maintain low and moderate-income housing) but also by Rangel's combative and dismissive tone towards those who raised these issues. I also admire Espaillat for the principled stand he took in the NYS Assembly on marriage equality. He risked alienating some of his constituents and also the wrath of homophobes like Reuben Diaz to make sure that LGBT families, many of which include children, had the same rights and protections under the law as straight people

Jun. 26 2012 11:24 AM

I'm down in Coney Island and I'm also voting for Charles Barron. I don't like some of his tactics, but I like the fact that Barron is a fighter and stands up for what he believes in. Hakeem Jeffries is a great guy, but he exemplifies exactly what the Democrats DON'T need: another nice, bland, hand shaking, square dealing and playing-it-safe typical politician. The democrats need people with backbone in the nation's legislature.

Jun. 26 2012 11:19 AM
Kirsten in Harlem from 13th district

Voting for my neighbor Craig Schley. He has the energy and the determination to push his agenda; I usually speak w/him while he is jump-roping on Frederick Douglas Blvd. Not sure if that is a campaign tactic or exercise to diffuse the stress.

Jun. 26 2012 11:18 AM
Jake S from Harlem

I'll be voting for Espaillat after work. Rangel is completely ineffective these days and should have retired years ago. I like Clyde Williams but I feel like Espaillat will do a better job representing the interests of the new district.

Jun. 26 2012 11:16 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

So erin - you are struggling between 2+ decades of mediocrity and making a brave decision, quite possibly, for the first time in your life..?

Jun. 26 2012 11:14 AM
jay bee from Sugar Hill

Voted for Clyde Williams in the 13th. Good Egg. The NY debate made me appreciate him- and Schley, too. But I like Mr. Williams' directness, analysis, and effective speaking.

Jun. 26 2012 11:13 AM

I've been struggling with this decision for months. I've always been a big fan of Charlie Rangel's. He's been in Congress for almost as long as I've been alive. Even stripped of his leadership positions, he still has huge influence in the House because of his lengthy tenure and charisma. But then there is my neighbor, Adriano Espaillat. Espaillat has a high profile in my community, is usually present whenever issues arise in the area, and has taken the time to address my concerns face-to-face. Since his interests are so closely aligned with my own, as a neighbor, Espaillat got my vote.

Jun. 26 2012 11:08 AM
oscar from ny

I find it difficult to vote for anyone because they simply dont care about anything or anyone its all about building themselves up...this whole country is rund by corruption, greed, bigotry to a high degrre...all i would be doing is wasting in line with the loosers who are clueless to anything...while these so calld leaders promote hatred amongs everyone and live a lavish style while the rest scraps..these ppl have different kinds of ranks among themselves...they fill our hopes with lies...theyre whole world is build on the people like mud" these leaders have no god but themselve and the so call secrets of satan....they only spire to be like their true god satan...nothing will change..things will get worse...there is no hope..

Jun. 26 2012 11:07 AM
Lloyd from Manhattan

At 9:30 AM, I was #3 to vote in the GOP primary. I wrote in Kirsten Gillibrand. It is very easy to cast a write-in vote on the new paper ballots. Sen. Gillibrand is far superior to the GOP candidates. The national GOP has been taken over by extremists.

Jun. 26 2012 11:06 AM
Lucy from Fort Greene, Brooklyn

I voted for Charles Barron in the 8th district. He is independent of the Brooklyn machine. There has been a lot of media hysteria about his controversial statements. Statements that are taken out of context and the media never asks him what he meant. Better someone who will stir things up than another bland, machine-backed, corporate-supported tool. Barron clearly opposed Atlantic Yards and other landgrabs backed by tax payer money and he opposes the privatization of our public schools that is taking place now. He is a strong advocate of our environment. Barron has a good chance of winning and I predict that he will be more tempered in his statements (but not his principles) when in Congress but will still bring "a movement" to D.C. as he has said he would.

Jun. 26 2012 10:24 AM
Peter from Washington Heights

I voted in the contest for the 13th Congressional Disctrict this morning. It's been years since I voted for Charles Rangel, having felt that he should have retired a long time ago.

But I was in a quandry this morning: I liked Clyde Williams's campaign, but I felt that if there were any chance of getting Rangel out of office, I should vote for Adriano Espaillat who has the best chance of getting more votes than Rangel. So my vote went to Espaillat reluctantly.

Jun. 26 2012 10:18 AM
Nina from Lower East Side

Voted for Nydia Velasquez, who now may represent my Lower East Side nabe. Go, Nydia!

Jun. 26 2012 10:05 AM