The Rise of Asian Americans

Friday, June 22, 2012

Deepa Iyer, head of the National Council of Asian Pacific Americans and executive director of South Asian Americans Leading Together, and Cary Funk, a senior researcher at the Pew Research Center, discuss a recent Pew study, "The Rise of Asian Americans", that concluded that Asians have surpassed Hispanics as the fastest growing immigrant group in the U.S.

Cary Funk and Deepa Iyer

Josh from Bath Beach, Brooklyn

I am non-Asian. My 8-year-old son is in a school in Brooklyn that is now 95% Fujanese. The Fujanese come from a very poor province in China where many are uneducated both academically and socially. The several neighborhoods in Brooklyn that have a high concentration of Fujianese are very dirty. I have observed the Fujanese often spitting in the streets and throwing garbage on the ground. I am very angry for two reasons: 1) I own a condo in Bath Beach, Brooklyn in a rapidly-growing Fujanese community and my property has garbage thrown in front of it daily, and 2) My son and daughter (and the children of my other non-Asian friends) have been bullied by their Fujanese classmates simply because they are not Asian. I know this because my children tell me this. I believe that a culturally-mixed school is healthy, but my son's school is no longer culturally-mixed due to this influx. Additionally, my son's school is bursting at the seams and they are building a few new schools in the area to cater to this huge influx of Fujanese in the neighborhood. I often see many Fujanese mothers pregnant when I pick him up at school; they have to understand that even though the Chinese government limits the number of children per family, by them having multiple births here in NYC, this will be putting a strain on our local economy. I have non-Fujanese Asian friends and a Fujanese friend who agrees with me. Oh, and the stainless steel bars they put over all the windows and doors of their houses; their homes look like maximum security prisons and the neighborhoods with these houses now look cold and sterile. I know that the Irish who came to America over 150 years ago were discriminated against by American society for similar reasons, but I just don't have the patience to wait 2-3 generations for the Fujanese to improve their social and academic standing here in my own neighborhood.

Jun. 22 2012 11:53 AM

We have deleted a comment. Please remember to stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.

Jun. 22 2012 11:28 AM
Mark

It's not just work ethic that made America strong it's also lack of corruption. That's what really separates first world from 3rd world but with the tone being set by Citizens United at the top and going all the way down to congratulating people for breaking immigration law there is a culture of corruption setting in.

Jun. 22 2012 11:23 AM
oscar from ny

Typical stereo typing ....communist slaved...

Jun. 22 2012 11:21 AM
Jon from Manhattan

I regret to inform you that there is no genetic basis for race. Put it another way, genetics cannot perfectly identify race, per se. Therefore, race is a cultural construct and is as relevant as if one is a Yankee fan or a Met fan.

Jun. 22 2012 11:21 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Martin, I agree with the sentiment you expressed -- the proof of the pudding is right in front of us, both to explain Asian's success, and to explain Jews' decline from overall past academic successes.

But when you say "the rest of you", there was also an important "Protestant work ethic" that was also an important component of the culture of the U.S. and explained the bootstrap success of many folks in the nation. That too has been lost.

Jun. 22 2012 11:17 AM
Anthony from manhattan

It's irritating when people argue against research findings by complaining that it perpetuates a "myth." The findings are the findings. There must be some truth in the "myth." Or explain why the results shouldn't be trusted, not that we need to move past these "myths"!

Jun. 22 2012 11:14 AM
The Truth from Becky

Bravo! (my word, I am sure the unemployed in this Country are looking forward to competing with you for jobs! ...and to the asian business owners, perhaps you can hire other than Asians for a change.

Jun. 22 2012 11:11 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

Bravo, Asians!
Hard work and respect for standards pay off.
If every elite university is 100% Asian....so what? They earned it.

They replaced us as "the new Jews", LOL, since we long ago succumbed to this boarish, leftist, dumbed-down culture. Fat, lazy, spoiled and entitled ... just like the rest of you.

Jun. 22 2012 10:42 AM