Broadband Love: How To Pick A Site

Thursday, June 21, 2012

(by Don Hankins/flickr)

Charles J. Orlando, our guest for the month of June, is a relationship expert, YourTango partner, and the author of The Problem with Women… Is Men. We continue our series on online dating with a comparison of the many sites available, and ask which one is right for you.

Charles J. Orlando
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Ariel

I've been using HowAboutWe for nearly 6 months now and I've had a fantastic experience with the site! Seems like HowAboutWe is always updating their features to simplify/enhance the experience. You can also search for people by interests, keywords, age, height, location....It works really well for me!

Jul. 05 2012 05:21 PM
Mike from Brooklyn, NY

When Brian and his guest speaker Charles Orlando discussed "niche" dating sites, I was surprised that they had not mentioned any sites that focus on interracial dating and relationships. Would such sites be considered as serving a niche of individuals?

Jun. 21 2012 03:13 PM
Kat from New York, NY

I've tried eHarmony, How About We (both paid) and OkCupid (free). I had an instant dislike for eHarmony when I heard them say they haven't tested to see if their algorithm will work for same-sex relationships so they only match heterosexual couples. After that I refused to use it. How About We was interesting but they don't give you a lot of ways to search. I like OkCupid because it's free so when I'm in a relationship I can freeze my account. Also, it's much easier to search. I like being able to see many different profiles and sort by things that matter to me (height, distance, what they're looking for).

Jun. 21 2012 11:14 AM

The reason you should meet someone sooner rather than later is because the longer you wait the more your imagination (and the other person's) will build the other person up into something they are not. Let down to follow.

Jun. 21 2012 10:58 AM
Bobby from Brooklyn

I met my wife on OK Cupid 3 years ago -- I was bar-tending, she was waiting tables and were both tired of of the 2 am crew at bars after work. We liked the same things so met up for coffee and have spent almost every day after with each other. Free sites all the way;)

Jun. 21 2012 10:55 AM
Todd Taylor from NYC

I tried them all
I love OK Cupid! I love it (I should say loved since I don't need it anymore) because I found true love.
But the strength of it is the long list of seemingly random questions, like "Did dinosaurs roam the earth and when?" Do I really need to know anything else to weed someone out?

Jun. 21 2012 10:52 AM
Jim

More need-based financial aid for dating sites would transform the industry and solve all of the world's problems.

Jun. 21 2012 10:50 AM