Criminal or Victim?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Beth Richie, author of Arrested Justice: Black Women, Violence, and America's Prison Nation, explores the question of crime and victimhood for poor black women in abusive relationships.

Beth Richie
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Scott from New York

I listened to part of your show (I would have liked to call in, but I was in my car).

As a criminal defense attorney (whose clients include both men and women) I was particularly interested in the guest's comments about women going to jail for the acts (drug sales, etc.) that men press them into doing.

It has often been my experience that when a man and a women are arrested together (for, say a drug sale, or a robbery), the woman is given far greater leniency than the man, generally on the presumed notion that the man pressured her into these acts.

The frequency which with this works (almost presumptively) makes me wonder whether this sort of thing is really counter to feminism or equality.

What does it say about women when the justice system all but presumes that women have no agency over their choices (even if their choices are poor or illegal)?

Children are generally held less morally accountable, at law, than adults, on the idea that they don't know better. Doesn't the presumption that women in trouble are almost always, necessarily, the victims of their men say something similar about them?

Jun. 20 2012 01:50 PM

Sheldon from Brookyn~

We got the Martin CheezzleWhiz from Manhattan "black women" and their "chicken wings" rant, instead!

Great entertainment, these klowns!

Jun. 20 2012 11:00 AM
The Truth from Becky

This issue plagues all women in all cultures, jewish men and the criminal acts those men use against their women, the violence against arabian women in and out of this country as well but, I get it, each group has to cover their own.

Jun. 20 2012 10:59 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

"....conservative lawmakers."

LOL....I knew that this was coming.

Oh, this is just too much.

Jun. 20 2012 10:57 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

....and who abuses these women....George W Bush?

Victim-O-Rama. Even the unfortunate lesbian story is deflected into "root causes", not the guilty abuser.

Victim-O-Rama.

Jun. 20 2012 10:53 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

The caller was way off. Poor example. The women assaulted the DVD peddler. Being Gay doesn't give someone the right to stab someone...

Jun. 20 2012 10:52 AM
Sheldon from Brookyn

I'm waiting for my "Bernie from Brooklyn" off-topic rant about "black women" and their "chicken wings"

Jun. 20 2012 10:50 AM