6th Congressional District: Meet the Democratic Candidates

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The New 6th Congressional District in Queens (NYS Latfor)

The Democratic primary candidates for the 6th district discuss what's at stake: New York State Assembly member for the 25th assembly district in Queens, Rory Lancman; medical doctor Robert MittmanNew York City Council member Elizabeth Crowley; and member of the New York State Assembly Grace Meng.

→ Redistricting Resources: Official LATFOR Maps | NYTimes Interactive Tool

Elizabeth S. Crowley, Rory Lancman, Grace Meng and Robert Mittman
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

ileen

I wish she had taken a public speaking course. Way too many uuuhs & you knows for a radio interview.

Jun. 20 2012 02:11 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Fair point Jon. I just wished she could make a coherent point or have ONE abstract thought.

Jun. 20 2012 12:24 PM
jawbone

Oh, for an Edit feature! Maybe Preview?

I left an incorrect impression. The SS trust fund will reach a high of about $3T, but that will be expended on the Baby Boomer bulge and used up by about 2033. Then, the FICA incoming monies will support about 75% of benefits through 2086 or so.

75% is not enough, so something must be done prior to 2033. Higher employment would be a really good thing to accomplish (how did FDR do it? Ah, executive action...among other things).

But raising the FICA cap would do wonders.

Jun. 20 2012 11:55 AM
Jon from Manhattan

Notwithstanding any candidate's "lack of intellectual fortitude" considering the behavior of the Congress on a whole host of issues intellect has scant little to with success or failure as a Congressional representative.

Jun. 20 2012 11:49 AM
jawbone

HELP!

When will Democrats learn to not repeat false Republican talking points?

Assemblyman Lancman needs to read up on SocSec: It will NOT "run out" in 20 years. Not unless the US government goes away somehow and is replaced by, oh, the Corporations of the World government.

Beginning around 2033, the accumulated surpluses will reach about $3 Trillion. That "trust fund" was increased by raising the amount workers pay into the SS trust fund and raising the age for full retirement benefits back when Tip O'Neill and Reagan reached that agreement*. THAT will be used up or nearly so. At that time only revenues from FICA taxes will be available for paying SS benefits, and IF NOTHING IS DONE UNTIL THEN, the payouts to beneficiaries will possibly drop to about 75% of predicted benefits for 2033.

This can easily be avoided by raising the cap on the wages and salaries taxed for FICA.

Oh, and increasing employment in this nation will greatly aid the SocSec fund. Too bad we have leadership which seems to see aiding banksters as the greater good over getting people employed at a living wage.

BTW -- How many know that when SS was begun, 90% OF ALL WAGES/SALARIES were covered by the FICA tax? That gradually was reduced.

Mr. Lancman should be more concerned about the increasing redistribution of the nation's wealth upward to the Tippy-Top of the One Percent.

SocSec is NOT GOING AWAY in 20 years. That is a Republican talking point.

Get a grip, Mr. Lancman! Try to remember the principles of the party you represent. Ponder the achievements of FDR, Truman, JFK, LBJ. Imagine how voters will react if it is Democrats who undermine SocSec, Medicare, Medicaid -- all the great social safety net landmark achievements of a once great political party. What good is a party which does not protect its constituents or its greatest achievements?

*Way back then I had no doubt I would be working full time at least until I was 66 and could retire on full benefits, or even work longer. Alas, my corporation decided to shed its older, more expensive workers, and I was gone in my late 50's. I thought I'd get another job, but I didn't. I did, however, get cancer and monstrously large health insurance premiums, which drained my retirement savings. I had to take SS early, at 65.

But thank you, LBJ, for Medicare! --along with all those true progressives and Democrats who worked so hard to achieve it. Best birthday present I've ever received!!

My friend who is working past 65 has been hospitalized for serious, life threatening ailments 3 times in the last two years. Last time he was seriously weakened by nearly bleeding out --a congenital weak vascular thing. He doesn't know how much longer he can go on. And his employer is obliquely suggesting he retire...he's raising the cost per employee of their health insurance....

Gee, too bad we don't have a national health care system, like, oh, Medicare for All.

Jun. 20 2012 11:48 AM
The Truth from Becky

Seriously Brian? If we had given bush this much scrutiny....fill in the blanks with any number of responses!

Jun. 20 2012 11:44 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

I was about to ream the Times on their Elizabeth Crowley's "lack of intellectual fortitude" comment but they may have a point.

Jun. 20 2012 11:33 AM
np from Queens

I liked Doctor Mittman insight to Queens. He is fully on track wiht the issues in our district.

Jun. 20 2012 11:23 AM

Pitiful.

Jun. 20 2012 11:23 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Oh boy. Our lovely democracy, where politicians, via their party machines CHOOSE who votes for them.

Jun. 20 2012 11:10 AM