Episode #3

Kings County: Episode Three

« previous episode

Friday, July 20, 2012

Kurt Andersen and co-host Kristen Schaal take the stage at Brooklyn's Galapagos Art Space in a bold quest to perform magic on the radio. They enlist the help of magician Steve Cuiffo (of the three-man show "Elephant Room") -- and Kristen reveals her own fiery (albeit visual) magic trick. Also: stand up comedy from writer Jessi Klein and a performance from musical guest Eleanor Friedberger of The Fiery Furnaces. Plus, as always, Kurt calls upon the entire cast to help tell a story about life in the city.

Kings County: Episode Three airs Friday, July 20 at 9 p.m. on 93.9 FM; Saturday, July 21 at 1 p.m. on AM 820 and New Jersey Public Radio; and Sunday, July 22 at 6 p.m. on 93.9 FM. Stream or download the entire episode here!

Josh Rogosin
The Kings County audience at Galapagos Art Space in Brooklyn's DUMBO neighborhood.
Josh Rogosin
Host Kurt Andersen welcomes the audience before the start of the show.
Josh Rogosin
Comedian Kristen Schaal joins Kurt on stage to co-host the show.
Josh Rogosin
Magician and actor Steve Cuiffo explains a radio-appropriate magic trick that unfolds throughout the show.
Josh Rogosin
Kurt and Kristen welcome musician Eleanor Friedberger of The Fiery Furnaces for her first song of the night.
Josh Rogosin
Writer and stand-up comedian Jessi Klein performs.
Josh Rogosin
Jessi Klein competes against a member of the audience in a sound-effects quiz about famous movies.
Josh Rogosin
Eleanor Friedberger returns to perform a cover of The Flatlanders song "Dallas."
Josh Rogosin
Magician Steve Cuiffo enlists a randomly selected audience member named Tim to assist with the night's radio magic trick.
Josh Rogosin
Kurt looks on as Steve Cuiffo completes the trick. (Want to know what happened? You'll just have to listen.)
Josh Rogosin
Kurt enlists the entire cast to give voice to his story about life in Brooklyn.

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

I'm super surprised by these comments! I enjoy the show, and think its hipster vibe is adequately off set by its self-deprecation.

But please, please, please no more Kristen Schaal. That's just not a voice for radio.

Jessi Klein on the other hand is hilarious and can stay.

Jul. 24 2012 07:50 PM
ron stern from brooklyn

very sorry to say, but this show is really bad. attended 2 live shows and heard the 3rd broadcast. i really was prepared to love this since everything else kurt has done has been so excellent. the banter between kurt and the co-hosts is forced, the comedy is very un-funny, the musical guests are not very interesting. this needs to be killed off sooner rather than later. hard to believe that anything could be as bad as "the takeaway".
here's a tagline for the show "wnyc, always excellent, except for THIS"

Jul. 24 2012 06:07 PM
Ken from Ridgewood, Queens

Jeez, there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for this show! I think that the co-hosts and the guests are pretty funny. Kurt Andersen I could take or leave. I don't think he has the sharp sense of humor needed to sustain a variety show- the guests don't really seem to feed off of his energy too much, because his sense of humor might be a touch dry to work fantastically for the platform. So that can be a little awkward sometimes. But I have found myself laughing at a lot of jokes on the show.

Jul. 22 2012 07:07 PM
Dorothy

Can't handle Kristin Schll's voice, irritating. Had to turn off the show.

Jul. 21 2012 02:10 PM
Liz from New Jersey

Maybe this show could just air in Brooklyn and someone would think it's funny. I don't get the jokes and find it parochial.

I wouldn't object to this show if it aired on some weekday evening. But weekend air time is limited and is already full of great programming. There is nothing worth getting the boot for this program except one of the many airings of Studio 360 (do we really need 5 hours of Kurt Anderson programming over the weekend? 1 hour is more than enough). I'm not a fan of Tavis Smiley or Michael Feldman either but they fill a need and don't have insufferable insider jokes.

But it's really because I feel like WNYC is overdosing on Kurt Anderson. Maybe with another host or a focus on the NY metro area as a whole would make it less irritating and smug. But please, if you're going to keep it, air it on a weekday night when it won't interfere with your awesome weekend programming.

Jul. 21 2012 02:10 PM
Peg

You mean Kristin Schall is a real adult woman???? I always thought she was a virtual voiceover for animated baby roles. Her teeeeeeny baby voice is just about the most irritating sound I've ever heard.

-cannot even force myself to listen to this show

Jul. 21 2012 12:28 PM
Christina from Astoria

The funniest thing about this show is that it's called "Kings County," but it's hardly representative of the borough as a whole. It is a cliche of "Brooklyn" as might be conceived by the New York Times Styles section. It's trying way to hard. I would have been snickering into my PBR if my ears weren't bleeding so badly.

Jul. 20 2012 10:31 PM
Stella from Manhattan

Episode One was insufferably hip. Episode Two was insufferably smug. And this Episode was just insufferable.

Jul. 20 2012 10:18 PM
ab from King County

As an:

A. Brooklyn native and

B. 3rd generation devotee of Public Radio WNYC...

...after the 1st installment of Kings County (the radio show) I thought > give em a chance it's new. After the 2nd installment I thought; ok I get it, it's a put-on...

...and now, listening to the 3rd installment; I'm embarrassed for the writers (if indeed there are any) and wondering if I can return my WNYC umbrella.

In a word; I'd say "pathetic"; but I think the "cast" of the show might not have the vocabulary to understand the word so I'll just say "sad".

Jul. 20 2012 10:01 PM
Carlotta from NYC

This show is horrendous. Start by getting a new host, please. We have more than enough of Kurt Andersen on Studio 360.

Jul. 20 2012 09:31 PM
Joe Gideon from Brooklyn, NY

Well, at least some dude in a v-neck t-shirt thinks Kurt Andersen is funny....

Jul. 15 2012 06:10 PM