Episode #2

Kings County: Episode Two

« previous episode | next episode »

Friday, July 13, 2012

Performance artist Lucy Sexton joins Kurt Andersen to co-host the second installment of Kings County. Comedian Wyatt Cenac of the Daily Show performs stand-up, and faces-off against an audience member in a quiz about foodie culture. The electro-pop band Chairlift performs, and Reggie Watts of the IFC show Comedy Bang! Bang! improvises over loops and beats. And: the whole cast joins Kurt for a story about modern day life in Brooklyn. Plus: this week's tagline contest. Listen here!

Kings County: Episode Two airs Friday, July 13 at 9 p.m. on 93.9 FM; Saturday, July 14 at 1 p.m. on AM 820 and New Jersey Public Radio; and Sunday, July 15 at 6 p.m. on 93.9 FM. Or, stream or download the show

Josh Rogosin
The June 24th show at the Bell House included the comedian Wyatt Cenac, the band Chairlift and co-host Lucy Sexton.
Josh Rogosin
Host Kurt Andersen welcomes the audience.
Co-host Lucy Sexton joins Kurt Andersen for a heated debate about the all the ways Brooklyn has changed since they've come of age.
Josh Rogosin
Wyatt Cenac, comedian and correspondent for The Daily Show, performs a stand-up set, discussing everything from his apathy towards Twitter to why there are no black hobbits in Lord of the Rings
Josh Rogosin
Caroline Polachek of the band Chairlift.
Josh Rogosin
Caroline Polachek and Patrick Wimberly of the band Chairlift performing their first song of the night.
Josh Rogosin
Kurt Andersen quizzes Wyatt Cenac and an audience member about the particulars of modern food culture, from the definitions of "local" to "micro-brew" and more.
Josh Rogosin
Lucy Sexton performs a short piece about her time working as an announcer on QVC, and all the bizarre baubles she had to sell.
Josh Rogosin
Super secret guest Reggie Watts performs at the Bell House during the second Kings County show. He was joined onstage by ?uestlove.
Josh Rogosin
The audience reacts to the entrance of a surprise guest, the drummer and producer Questlove of The Roots.
Josh Rogosin
Kurt Andersen and the cast join together to tell a story about life in Brooklyn.
Chairlift plays their second song, "Amanaemonesia" as the night winds to a close.

EXTRA: ?uestlove Backs Reggie Watts

At the second installment of Kings County, the Bell House audience received two mystery guests for the price of one. Host Kurt Andersen surprised the crowd by bringing out musical comedian Reggie Watts mid-show. Then, drummer ?uestlove surprised everyone by joining Watts onstage and jumping behind Chairlift's drum kit for a reggae jam. Hear their impromptu, first-ever collaboration in this Kings County web exclusive.

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

After reading all these hateful comments, I feel compelled to make a real case for Kings County. I have long disliked the weekend programming on WNYC, because it seemed so, well, geriatric. So many hours of Car Talk, Prarie Home, Whadya Know, and (kill me) Jonathan Schwartz. The change in line up over the summer that has brought in more programming, including Kings County has been a really pleasant one though. Ok, so clearly this show isn't for everyone, but it definitely skews younger than a lot of the other "variety" shows of which there are *plenty*.

I think this show could pull in a different demographic, and hope it's given the chance. I laugh a lot, and am really not sure why people are so up in arms.

Jul. 24 2012 07:58 PM
Carlen Arnett

Listening to the third show, but can't register a comment there while it's in process, I guess. I'm sorry, but I think this show is terrible. Comic was completely unsurprising and not funny. Kristen's voice (she's Kurt Anderson's side kick, I guess) is so annoying I can't imagine how anyone thought she should have this job. Can't think of any other show on Public Radio I've had so instant a negative reaction to.

Jul. 22 2012 06:49 PM
Barbara Cooper from Manhattan

Tonight, 7/22, was the first time I tuned in to "Kings County." It's also the last. Neither Kristen Schall nor Jessi Klein are remotely funny. Screaming and beginning every sentence with "I was like" or "my parents are like" every 30 seconds fills air time with nothing of substance. NPR's audience expects better, not more of the same low "humor" found on commercial radio and tv. If it's a humor show, we want funny, not stupid. This show is beneath our intelligence.

Jul. 22 2012 06:48 PM
Foxessa from NYC

Oooo, this is annoying and not fun.

Thank goodness for WKCR in this timeslot and the one following.

Jul. 21 2012 02:08 PM
****

Boooooo

Jul. 21 2012 02:03 PM
Thomas from bushwick

I have heard the show twice now - I think that it has not found its voice yet. For some reason I find myself wanting it to succeed, although I don't actually like the show. The guests have been by and large entertaining but the writing is uneven. It is understandable that WNYC is trying to court a new audience, but much of the humour seems targeted not to the "hip" Brooklyn demographic, but rather to those who are unfamiliar with the clichés - maybe some folks who just moved into one of those dreadful waterfront condos. The writing to really trying too hard to connect to a certain "hip" sensibility, which is tricky to define but usually involves a near lethal dose of irony, self importance, pretension, and cruel humour. The show reminds me a little of a restaurant (that probably has tasty dishes to offer) which opens up in a "hip" neighborhood, tries to connect, but lacks the nuanced understanding of its snotty demographic and then becomes a target of hipster scorn on Yelp.com. If there is one thing that hipsters detest it's the perceived "inauthentic" (clearly one of many unfortunate ironies!)

I think the show needs to more organically play off the strength of the host (genial) and the strengths of the guests. Anderson is charming but not naturally funny - he really needs a solid humorist to anchor the show and better material to work with. Brooklyn needs to be expressed as a sensibility, not as the explicit subject matter for tired jokes...

Jul. 17 2012 02:18 PM
Glad I grew Up and Moved Out of Brooklyn

WNYC please stop trying so hard.

This show is the entertainment equivalent of exactly nothing. Hipsters are boring - even to hipsters themselves. They are exponentially boring to people outside of that realm. If there has to be a self-congratulatory show about Brooklyn, don't put it on the radio. PS - Brooklyn isn't even cool any more.

ALSO, Kurt Anderson (who I love on Studio 360) is a miserable live host - bad voice (strained) and a limited sense of humor. Stop playing Boy From Kansas.

Lucy Sexton is insufferable. If I met her at party, I'd make an excuse to leave early. And hearing her tell a story about how she can talk on and on as a QTV sales person is absolute torture. And that's when I turned off the show.

Jul. 16 2012 12:12 PM
Chris from Brooklyn (Kings County)

This show had the uncanny ability to distill everything that is unlikeable about Brooklyn (e.g. yuppie hipsters, half-baked pseudo artists to name a couple) into one convenient little scorn-worthy package. Nice work, Kurt!

Jul. 15 2012 11:48 PM
erin from Brooklyn

Could this show be even more un-entertaining? Lucy Sexton is pretty annoying; what were they thinking having her co-host? That news cast thing they opened with wasn't at all funny. I've lived in Brooklyn for 10 years and I can't believe that this is the program that supposed to "represent" Kings County.

Jul. 15 2012 11:38 PM
Roger from Brooklyn where else

Oh dear.. sounds like middle class America trying to make the new yuppie/hipsters (who are not really that hip) into some kind of homogenized Urban home Companion.

With that wooly waft of the NPR sweater. how crushingly boring...

Jul. 15 2012 10:01 PM
russ smith from new jersey

The idea of the erudite and soulful Kurt Anderson taking on a kind of Garrison Keiloresque persona on a show from Brooklyn certainly has merit. And the fact that on the few shows that have aired he maintains a shred of dignity and wit is all about him and nothing to do with his co-hosts, comedians and producers. Are they specifically aiming this at 17 year olds? if so, that's wonderful and to be applauded, but Kurt or someone needs to scour Kings County with more diligence and find more thoughtful expressions of the youthful zeitgeist.

Jul. 15 2012 07:41 PM
Victoria from East Williamsburg, Brooklyn

I enjoyed it. I hope it sticks. I would like to attend sometime.

Jul. 15 2012 07:19 PM
janet larson from Hoboken NJ

Like some of NPR's weekend comedy shows, such as "Whadda-ya know?", which make the weekend very quiet and boring because I have to turn the radio off when they come on, "King's County" is crap. It doesn't represent Brooklyn at all and shows America at its worst--stimulated only by crude and stupid, often sexual, quips (the one about "National Pubic Radio" being the lowest I've ever heard your station go). The audience whistling and shouting about nothing portrays us as the yahoos we sometimes are and I wish we weren't. Maybe some listeners like to hear standard broadcasters let their hair down, but I won't be able to forget Kurt Anderson's voice cranking up the audience now when I hear him elsewhere. Please kill or totally revamp this show. Then as an otherwise faithful WNYC listener,I might "never turn it off."

Jul. 15 2012 07:19 PM
Nancy from New York, NY

My husband is from Brooklyn. (I am a NY native but not Brooklyn)
He was a NYCity Public Schools Principal.
We lived in Park Slope.

What this show has to do with Brooklyn is a mystery. Or do you mean Kings County, California?

We laughed a little.

Jul. 15 2012 07:04 PM
Brian from Kings County

lucy sexton's monologue about home shopping host > florent was awesome!

Jul. 15 2012 06:31 PM
ed from queens

Uncomfortable to listen to forced banter and semi drunk audience. What's humurous when live with liquor does not equal good radio.

Jul. 15 2012 06:16 PM
Joe Gideon from Brooklyn, NY

Kurt Andersen is the Garrison Keillor of Brooklyn, and no, that's not meant as a compliment. I've lived in Brooklyn for quite a while, and have never eaten "artisinal mayonnaise"; could we please put to rest the stupid meme that Brooklyn is nothing but hipsters, writers, and militant locavores? This show has nothing to do with Brooklyn (except for a very small, but disproportionately annoying segment of the Brooklyn population) and is little more than a collection of tired cliches. I mostly enjoy Studio 360, but seriously, Kurt, don't quit your day job.

Jul. 15 2012 06:00 PM
Old Fogey from Red Hook, Brooklyn

I agree with some of the other comments, I have no idea what Kings County has to do with Brooklyn. Who is this show for, anyway? Kurt already has Studio 360---a decent show. He's spreading himself a little thin.

Jul. 15 2012 05:51 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

Used to live in Brooklyn many years ago. Moved just before it got super expensive. Maybe that's the excitement: it's turning into another Manhattan. Hence the show, which excludes the other voices which exist--you know, the voices who don't live in hipsterland.

Sorry, didn't enjoy the show. But keep working on it, maybe it'll capture a true voice of Brooklyn (at least the one I remember), which may not matter at this point...

Jul. 15 2012 05:36 PM
Jordan

Too much like Prairie Home Companion. Drop any style adopted from that old tired show, especially corny jokes. Potential for KC is good if you make it original and fresh.

Jul. 15 2012 12:30 PM
Susan Altman from Midwood

Title has a real disconnect from the actual borough. Content is so-so. And it is way too self congratulatory as mentioned in another post.

Perhaps the tag line should be: All similarities to Brooklyn are incidental.

Jul. 15 2012 10:10 AM
Andrea

seemed like a cross between a live WTF & Praire Home Companion. But not as strong as either. And perhaps, a bit to precious. The "brooklyn is so awesome" thing is getting old. I do love brooklyn, but the self reference and self-congratulatory nature of the whole thing is just annoying and boastful.

Jul. 15 2012 09:57 AM
marty from bay ridge

weak. could have been a whole lot better. do these people actually live here? doesn't sound like it.

Jul. 14 2012 08:37 PM
Ayana from NYC

My ideas for making this show connect to its audience are listed below:
-feature a couple of kids who are gifted at music- vocal, violin, piano guitar a sweet pre adolescence girl's band would connect the audience.
- feature store owners,
-local librarians,
-science geeks,
-small jazz club owners.
- seniors who are filled with stories
- a sing - a - long - a song about Brooklyn
- a Brooklyn slogan contest or song or poem
- feature a game called, "Guess Brooklyn" - facts about Brooklyn's history
- feature a Brooklyn staple, or famous person
- feature a choir, or religious group that is doing something for the community

Real Brooklyn folks. Make the show sweet. To me that's what I think of about Brooklyn. Not a focus on Kurt Andersen and Lucy Sexton - They don't have the spirit of Brooklyn. They also need an older, true Brooklynite They both need to soak up the Brooklyn culture and stop talking so much. They should find true Brooklyn folks and feature them.
No long jokes that don't relate to Brooklyn
No naked jokes
No obscure music
I want sweet, simple, heart felt, true radio about Brooklyn

Jul. 14 2012 02:14 PM
Stuck in Mississauga from CND

I liked the show. Keep them coming.

Jul. 14 2012 02:09 PM
DJ from Brooklyn

Loved it! Lucy Sexton is fantastic and the show seems very fresh. Louis C.K. would be a great guest. I'm a WNYC full time addict and I hope it stays on the air.

Jul. 14 2012 02:04 PM
Karen from Cliffside Park, NJ

Nice try. Miserable results. Sorry.

Jul. 14 2012 01:46 PM
Ken from NJ

Frankly I think the concept and show are awful...please go back to previous programming...PLEASE !

Jul. 14 2012 01:30 PM
Jim from Brooklyn

More Lucy.

Jul. 14 2012 10:06 AM
Bernard Cohen from NYC then on 87 north to catskills

Loved it tonight!!!
Fantastic show and concept.

Jul. 13 2012 11:44 PM