Socio-Technical Trends

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Parag Khanna, senior research fellow at the New America Foundation, and Ayesha Khanna, a faculty advisor at Singularity University and director of the Future Cities Group at the London School of Economics, are coauthors of the e-book Hybrid Reality: Thriving in the Emerging Human-Technology Civilization.  They discuss the future of technology, and how people and societies interact with it.

Ayesha Khanna and Parag Khanna

Alfie

Maybe Brian should get one of those youth treatments the person was talking about - then he'd fit in at one of those under-50 meetup events he hosts. LOL!

Jun. 14 2012 01:48 PM
DTorres from Nathan Strauss Projects

If evolution can be directed,
then someone will create a
new kind of human being.

And the people with the power to do that, will rule.

There was a guy, in the previous century, that had an idea like that,
he was looking for a superior race. It didn't turn out so well,
it became a nightmare whose effects are still being felt today.

Jun. 14 2012 01:39 PM
John A. from Persistent Vegitative State (PVS)

BTW, I absolute Can Not wait until the day 'Watson' is used to do fact checking of a Presidential debate - as it happens. That will be fun.

Jun. 14 2012 11:17 AM
CK from YKT

John: I can understand that issue. And the issue that some people stop really living and spend all their time nose down in a computer. (Wait, that sounds like me at work!) Using tech in support of humans: great. Replacing us: stupid.

Jun. 14 2012 11:11 AM
John A.

YKT-VM1/HAWnet:
My offense may come from some (others) at the Singularity Institute plotting out the replacement of human life with computers/machines as coming as soon as 40 or 25 years from now. Always with the claim "You could live forever". Pure Hubris.

Jun. 14 2012 11:07 AM
CK from YKT

John: Don't you think you're over reacting a bit? "Fighting words" over the use of computers and technologies in a way that makes using info easier? I'm guessing there were people who felt the way you do in the industrial revolution that moved us to better manufacturing processes.

Jun. 14 2012 11:01 AM
Peg

I DON'T think it's ok for young kids to think that virtual experiences are equivalent to real physical experiences. Can we put all vitual's in boxes and keep them out of the physical world? - Can they exist on electrical food and H20???????

Jun. 14 2012 11:01 AM
John A.

"We are just about out of time"
...
Cue scene from James Cameron movie.

Jun. 14 2012 10:59 AM
Alexander from Staten Island

I am so glad someone mentioned Deus Ex. I am waiting very diligently for my first mechanical and/or nano augmentations. Wooo. It's the future guys, we all made it. Now let me use my obnoxiously powerful computer to browse facebook.

Jun. 14 2012 10:56 AM
John A.

Say it, folks: "Post-Humanism".
And them is fightin' words.

Jun. 14 2012 10:50 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Anybody here ever play the video game Deus Ex? :)

Jun. 14 2012 10:47 AM
John A.

Experienced a girl of FaceBook age referring to her computer as "her baby", in the boyfriend sense. The future is coming on fast folks.

Jun. 14 2012 10:27 AM

Should I be offended that the word friend has been redefined in a causal directed? I feel like I’ve lost something.

Jun. 14 2012 10:21 AM