"Marina Abramovic: The Artist Is Present"

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Performance artists Marina Abramovic speaks about her career and the documentary “Marina Abramovic: The Artist Is Present,” along with director Matthew Akers and producer/co-director Jeff Dupre. The documentary opens at Film Forum June 13, and will premiere on HBO on July 2.

Marina Abramovic, Matthew Akers and Jeff Dupre
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Rozell

She helped me I can only speak of my experience at hand she forces us to look within ourselves to break all limits we place upon ourselves in the world we live in.

Jul. 03 2012 03:24 AM
Roy Zornow from East Village

Actually it fails to do what a documentary should do: expose the true nature of its subject. Instead the focus is on her media-friendly 2010 MoMA exhibition, at the expense of both her difficult earlier works, and he own complex psychology. http://www.ekrap.com/?p=421

Jun. 29 2012 12:21 PM
Mana from Chicago, IL

Whether you love Marina or not, this is a documentary, and as a documentary, it's a brilliantly-well developed documentary, it does what a documentary should do, so I think it's important to watch. The play dates are up here: http://ldig.it/M7y84w

Jun. 14 2012 10:43 AM
John A. from the Chroma Keys

First contact with Abramovic Art was through "WNET:Video and Television Review", which sets a date back aways. Little problem with it, she has a good combination of strength, femininity and humility. Glad there is a new documentary to preserve it all. Filed to offset the objectors in this forum.

Jun. 13 2012 03:17 PM
Elaine from Baltimore

The artist was doing this for a "Higher cause"? By standing still?

As a fine art student of long ago... i find this performance artist incredibly pretentious. Go volunteer in a soup kitchen, raise money to help people train themselves to become self supporting, help abused women. Unfortunately there is no lack of opportunities to help people in the real world.

Standing still nude in a museum? Does anybody really believe this will help humanity?

Jun. 13 2012 01:03 PM
Claudia from Teneck

My mother was one of the people who sat with Ms. Abramovic at MOMA. My mother was an elderly and very intense woman a wheelchair, and Ms. Abramovic started crying at a certain point. My mother died about 6 months after this experience, and the memory of her recounting the story of how she perceived this performance still looms large for me.

Jun. 13 2012 01:01 PM
Oliver

What a crock...

Jun. 13 2012 12:58 PM
john from office

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, pretentious nonsense. I am standing still in my office as we speak.

Jun. 13 2012 12:54 PM
jrh from Brooklyn

I'll definitely be seeing the film. Question: does anybody know if there are any good (or any) documentaries on performance art in general; especially US 60s-80s. I've been looking and can't find anything at all, which seems strange.

Jun. 13 2012 12:52 PM
RL from Bowery

Marina, keep an eye out for Spring Pictures of the Floating World -June 28-July 1- it would be great for your space.

Jun. 13 2012 12:43 PM