An NYPD officer has been indicted in the shooting death of an unarmed man inside his Bronx home earlier this year, sources told WNYC.
Officer Richard Haste, 30, is to surrender Wednesday morning to face manslaughter charges in the death of 18-year-old Ramarley Graham, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity Monday because the indictment hadn't been made public.
The NYPD declined to comment. Prosecutors in the Bronx also refused to discuss the outcome of a lengthy investigation; Haste testified before the grand jury for three hours.
The officer's lawyer, Stuart London, said Tuesday he would reserve comment until any indictment is unsealed.
Office Richard Haste was a part of a street-level narcotics enforcement team, but had not yet received complete narcotics enforcement or plainclothes training before he was given his assignment, WNYC reported in February.
PBA President Patrick Lynch said in a statement that he believes Haste will be exonerated at trial, and that the organization looks forward to a complete review of the case, "which will demonstrate this police officer believed that he was pursuing an armed felon who bolted rather than be caught with an illegal gun." He noted that several members of the officer's team confirmed the presence of a gun.
Haste had been on the force for three years.
Al Sharpton, who attended marches for Graham in the Bronx, as well as his funeral, said in a statement that "while no one takes any pleasure in a life loss or a police officer being indicted, we always demand that the process of justice be fairly and impartially administered."
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly ordered a top-to-bottom review of street-level narcotics procedures following the man’s death.
In a 12-minute DVD interview released by Graham's family shortly after his death, his grief-stricken father said he still hears his son’s voice in his head.
“I just imagine now, him saying, 'See Daddy, I was in the house, I was in the house and look what they did to me,'” he said.
With the Associated Press