Baby-Friendly New Jersey

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

New Jersey health commissioner Mary O'Dowd talks about a UNICEF initiative that designated two NJ hospitals "baby-friendly" and her own efforts to increase breastfeeding rates.

Mary O'Dowd

Doris from bayonne, NJ

I would like to give a shout out to the staff at St Clare's Hosp maternity in Denville NJ for providing excellent breastfeeding support after I delivered there this past December. I was allow to nurse my son right after delivery, and all of the nurses helped me to properly latch my baby. A lactation consultant visited my room everyday to make sure breastfeeding was going well. Lastly, a nurse called me one week after discharge to make sure I was still nursing and to answer any questions. Because I had a great start at the hospital, I am still breastfeeding 5 months later.

Jun. 05 2012 01:03 PM
Elle from Brooklyn

Susan, that is soooo interesting. My baby was on the small side and never liked to feed in large quantites. Even though he steadily gained weight, I lived in terror that he was not eating enough, and I could not relax for about the first two months. I wish someone had told me it was OK!

Jun. 05 2012 10:50 AM
Elle from Brooklyn

Heather, excellent point!

Jun. 05 2012 10:48 AM

What about using Chris Christie as an anti-obesity role model.

<<Insert art>>
“Don’t be a bridge killing beast!”

Jun. 05 2012 10:40 AM
Susan from Upper West Side

Drinking excessive quantities of liquids is something that starts in infancy with many mothers being told to push their babies to drink more milk so they can sleep longer. This often backfires initially with the baby suffering from indigestion. Then the baby learns to drink supersized amounts. I cannot tell you how many mothers I have worked with who have been told to feed their babies outrageous amounts of milk above the normal 25-35 ounces per day. Sometimes they are told to offer double that amount.

Jun. 05 2012 10:40 AM
Heather from long island city

It would be very helpful if breast feeing supplies were subsidised for low income mothers the same way that formula is. Breast Pumps ect can be very expensive and when a working poor mom can get formula for free but cannot afford a 200 dollar breast pump it seems the decision is made for them.\

Jun. 05 2012 10:38 AM
Elle from Brooklyn

You have the right to breastfeed in public ANYWHERE in New York State - is that the same for New Jersey?

Jun. 05 2012 10:35 AM
momn from nyc

Go figure, UNICEF is stepping in. The is a serious situation that is not honored. I fought to breastfeed my kid at the Metropolitan Hospital. They were pushing for formula and falsely threatened that my baby was not hydrated, when he did have a wet diaper.

Hospitals ARE NOT BABY FRIENDLY.

Jun. 05 2012 10:35 AM
Susan from Upper West Side

Also want to point out that the World Health Organization Code on the Marketing of Breast milk substitutes INCLUDES education for individual mothers who NEED to and CHOOSE to use breast milk substitutes. As a lactation consultant, I am often the only health care practitioner who actually teachers mothers how to use formula and bottles in safer ways. Most mothers are left to those own devices.

Jun. 05 2012 10:35 AM
lucy from Brooklyn

It'a about time. Baby Friendly designation has been around for a very time with little traction. There has to be a support person to get the mother properly latched-on for this to work. Hospitals are still giving a lot of misinformation to new moms on how to breastfeed.
And if we are serious about wanting to reduce obesity, breastfeeding is an important component to that. Ask your guest about how breastfeeding reduces obesity. The fat cells created are actually different from formula fed babies.
Just one of the many benefits.
Also ask about how much formula businesses make in the country per year. It used to be a 2 billion dollar business but don't know what it is now.
Also, it is not really a choice when women don't have all the information.

Jun. 05 2012 10:35 AM
Elle from Brooklyn

Do they have a right to pump somewhere other than the bathroom? I can't tell you how many working moms have told me that that was their only option. Dreadful!

Jun. 05 2012 10:35 AM
Missy

You need to work on nurses in hospitals, especially in NICU.
Moms know. Other women know. Men know. It's the nurses in the hospitals that want to stick to a schedule and to formula.

Jun. 05 2012 10:33 AM
Elle from Brooklyn

Overall, my experience at the erstwhile St. Vincent's was very good, but I was told that if/when I needed help breastfeeding (which I did), I should call a nurse. I did this several times during the night, but no help came. I managed on my own and nursed for two years, but the support in this respect could have been much better.

Jun. 05 2012 10:33 AM
Susan from Upper West Side

Brian can you ask her what they are doing about Cory Booker climbing in bed with Nestle that not only violates the WHO code for marketing of breast milk substitutes (far more than the other formula companies) and ALSO markets lots of high calorie sugary snacks for children?

Jun. 05 2012 10:32 AM