Alison Bechdel on Memoirs

Thursday, May 31, 2012

From Alison Bechdel's graphic novel "Are You My Mother"

Alison Bechdel, cartoonist and author of the graphic memoir Are You My Mother? A Comic Drama, reflects on the creation of memoirs, her long-running comic strip "Dykes to Watch Out For" and her approach to graphic novels.

Alison Bechdel
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

The first "Alien" movie (Ridley / Sigorney Weaver).

I haven't seen the others.

May. 31 2012 12:31 PM
The Truth from Becky

You are quite interesting Brian, to try to direct the conversation toward the President...as if and clearly you didn't understand the book "if" you really read it.

May. 31 2012 10:58 AM
Laura from UWS

Both books are flat-out brilliant.

May. 31 2012 10:58 AM
Helen Savage from New Jersey

Her first book (I think) Fun Home was fantastic - definitely going to get this.

May. 31 2012 10:52 AM

@Caitlin from Jersey City:

? "Silence of the Lambs" ?

May. 31 2012 10:47 AM
Caitlin from Jersey City

I recently came up with my own version of the Bechdel Test (for those unfamiliar with it, it's a way to rate fiction based on whether it has 1. two or more female characters 2. who talk to each other 3. about something other than a man). Mine has only two rules: 1. a female protagonist 2. who doesn't end up dead, married, or with kids at the end. (So far True Grit is the only example I've been able to come up with that passes.)

May. 31 2012 10:42 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

People, it's a COMIC BOOK.

May. 31 2012 02:17 AM