NJ 9th Candidates

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Redistricting is pitting Democratic incumbents Steve Rothman and Bill Pascrell against each other in a race for the single seat to represent the new 9th congressional district.

→ Quick Links: Rothman for New Jersey | Pascrell for Congress | Patch Election Guide | NJ Spotlight Guide | Politifact Fact-Checks on 9th CD Race

Bill Pascrell and Steve Rothman
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

oscar from ny - I'll fix your post

I dont trust any politician that call themselves muslim because i feel that their agenda "priorities" are bogus because they support the various islamist regimes which have ties to all sorts of destabilization in the middle east thus putting America at risk.

May. 30 2012 11:35 AM
fuva from harlemworld

I have no direct interest in this campaign. But the presentation of these candidates exemplify the need for citizens to keep close tabs on their politicians. We need to find ways to do this that complement our otherwise hectic lifestyles.

May. 30 2012 11:27 AM
oscar from ny

I dont trust any politician that call themselves jewish because i feel that their agenda "priorities" are bious because they support the state if israel wich has ties to all sorts of unstabilization in the middle east thus putting america at risk.

May. 30 2012 11:25 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Jordan is "palestine" - that's EAST of the Jordan River.

May. 30 2012 11:23 AM
Bob from SI

Steve Rothman keeps on saying that Bill Pascrell voted for oil drilling off the Jersey coast. There is no oil off the coast of New Jersey. There is natural gas but that does scare Jersey voters like an oil spill.

May. 30 2012 11:23 AM

And btw, I do not live in the 9th District and do not work for the Rothman campaign. Spin-doctoring and sock-puppetry like that is not my bag.

May. 30 2012 11:18 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Ask both candidates if they support the NYPD monitoring of Islamists in New Jersey.

May. 30 2012 11:17 AM
Edward from NJ

Is the BL show going to do coverage on other redistricted areas? Until you did a piece on this race a couple of weeks ago, I thought I was still in Bill Pascrell's district.

May. 30 2012 11:16 AM

John from Bergen:

The idea of "manning up" against Scott Garrett is a Pascrell-Democrat talking point. It's not an objective reality. It's spin.

It's pretty clear Rothman has already addressed that the heart of his political experience was in Englewood, where he's now running.

Rothman need not run against Scott Garrett simple because Fair Lawn was excised from the district. If his life and political career was built in Fair Lawn, then that argument might hold water. But it doesn't.

May. 30 2012 11:16 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Too bad the 9th Congressional District has so limited choices in candidates.

May. 30 2012 11:15 AM
John in Bergen

Please. Steve Rothman does not want to work for a living. He wants a safe seat. Rothman run against Garett. Show us you have character.

May. 30 2012 11:15 AM

If Pascrell was endorsed by Clinton, that should be enough to make him the non-progressive DINO.

May. 30 2012 11:13 AM
John in Bergen

Ask Rothman why did he not 'man-up' and run against Garrett rather than take on a fellow democrat.
Redistricting happens. Why did you move to avoid a real race with a chance to get rid of an arch-conservative?

May. 30 2012 11:09 AM
Nick Lento from 9th CD

Brian please ask Bill Pascrell to confirm the commitment he made to me (after last week's debate) to join the Democratic Progressive Caucus if he wins this primary and stays in congress.

Also please ask Steve Rothman why re refused to make the same commitment to me at the same event.

I went to that debate leaning strongly for Rothman since the fact is that he HAS made some more progressive votes than Pascrell, so the underlying rationale of his candidacy was logically correct.

However his refusal to join with NJ congressmen like Rush Holt, Frank Pallone and the late Donald Payne in becoming members of his party's Progressive Caucus troubles me. On one level it's a symbolic gesture...but on another level it's a substantial commitment to aggressively engage for progressive causes and values.

We need and deserve and aggressive progressive in a solidly Democratic district like the 9th.

If Rothman wins he needs to be pushed to make good on his words about being a real progressive, he needs to become an AGRESSIVE PROGRESSIVE who will rise up and generate both heat and light on the floor of the House and in his public pronouncements.

In particular I want to see Steve Rothman pushing hard for single payer/Medicare for ALL health care and working HARD with people like John Conyers who sponsored HR676.

Just being progressive enough to be marginally more progressive than Bill Pascrell, isn't good enough....especially if the whole rationale for winning this election is that you are a progressive.

Here's a link to the video of my impromptu challenge to these candidates. I didn't even have the camera turned on when I first asked Pascrell but scrambled to get it on and to have him repeat the commitment when he said yes to my challenge. Then it remained on as the same challenge was put to Rothman. I was looking at Rothman and not at the camera's screen so most of his face is off camera. Apologies for the amateur camerawork and my reluctance to press Rothman harder than I did.

May. 30 2012 09:47 AM