Bloomberg Says NYPD Isn't Walking Away From Stop-And-Frisk
Friday, May 18, 2012
Mayor Michael Bloomberg defended stop and frisk practices and said the NYPD will continue the practice that has faced increasing scrutiny.
Speaking on his weekly Friday WOR-AM radio show, the mayor pointed to historic crime lows and — echoing the police commissioner’s sentiments — credited the controversial practice with reducing the number of homicides in the city.
“This is a program that is effective,” Bloomberg said. “We’re going to keep doing this. … We’re not going to walk away from tactics that work”
As WNYC first reported, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly announced policy changes to stop and frisk this week. But experts are concerned the reforms do not go far enough:
But the proposed change that aroused, perhaps, the most skepticism from stop-and-frisk critics was Kelly’s plan to have executive officers in all the precincts more closely review the stop-and-frisk reports, called UF-250s, generated by their officers. Auditing stops, they believe, must go further than reviewing the paperwork.
Read more: here
Earlier this week, a judge granted a class action status to a 2008 lawsuit accusing the NYPD of racially profiling with its stop and frisk policies:
U.S. District Judge Shira Scheindlin in Manhattan said in a written ruling that there was "overwhelming evidence" that a centralized stop-and-frisk program has led to thousands of unlawful stops. She noted that the vast majority of New Yorkers who are unlawfully stopped will never file a lawsuit in response, and she said class-action status was created for just these kinds of court cases.
Read more: here