What it Takes to Win—and Hold—the White House

Friday, May 18, 2012

Samuel Popkin, Professor of Political Science at the University of California, San Diego, examines the winners—and losers—of the last 60 years of presidential campaigns, explaining how challengers get to the White House, how incumbents stay, and how successors hold power for their party. His book The Candidate: What it Takes to Win—and Hold—the White House looks George H. W. Bush's campaign for reelection in 1992, Al Gore's campaign for the presidency in 2000, and Hillary Clinton's effort to win the nomination in 2008, and gives an account of what goes on inside a campaign and what makes one succeed while another fails.

Samuel Popkin
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

David

If you all still believe that there is a difference in the warmongering/corporate-bailing-out/Banksters-controlled Democratic Party and the warmongering/corporate-bailing-out/Banksters-controlled Republican party, what can I say?

As far as I'm concerned, there's only one candidate running this year: Obomney.

May. 19 2012 02:46 PM
The Truth from Becky

Belinda -

I think I did say those of us, meaning "some" of us....so define political courage? What was/is your cause that the President is not giving enough attention? Bet I can guess.

May. 18 2012 01:07 PM
Vlad from Central, NJ

I did an analysis of the BIG money donners in 2008 and noticed that Obama got most of it, McCaine was a close second and Hilkary got peanuts... Is that why she lost?

May. 18 2012 12:51 PM

Belinda-

So you will support Romney? Or not vote? Trust me, if you think Obama disappointed you, you're in for a rude awakening if he loses.

May. 18 2012 12:46 PM
Belinda from White Plains

Becky,
I disagree with you. I think there are many of us who supported him in 2008 that will not in 2012. We are let down by his lack of political courage.

May. 18 2012 12:23 PM
The Truth from Becky

Ok here's what...it is NOT going to be that difficult for President Obama to be re elected, those of us who support/supported him the first time around, don't need to be convinced that he deserves another term in office!

May. 18 2012 12:14 PM